Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Big Earl

Default 1938 Ford Coupe Standard Inner Fenders Fitment

I have the inner fenders on my 38 Standard Coupe body that I am trying to fit on my 39 Deluxe chassis. The problem I am encountering is that the hydraulic brake line is in the way to mount then inner fender. Since the 38 had mechanical brakes, there are no provisions on the inner fender for the hydraulic lines on top of the frame. Before I have to drill and/or cut I wanted to ensure that there is in fact a difference on the inner fender.

Thanks
Big Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
jerry grayson

Default Re: 1938 Ford Coupe Standard Inner Fenders Fitment

Yes the inner fender panel is different on a 39 Deluxe than a 38 standard. If you want to leave the brake lines as they are, you will need to cut a slot in your panels to fit. 38 standard panels are completely different than 39 deluxe panels. The fenders are different where the inner panels meet the fender.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Karl Wescott

1938 Standard inner fenders are a totally different animal than 1939 Deluxe inner fenders. The 1939 Deluxe fender will not fit the 1938 Standard inner fender.

1938 Standard inner fenders are unique.

1938 Deluxe and 1939 Standard inner fenders are the same (except for the brake clearance)

1939 Deluxe and 1940 Passenger and 1941 Pickup/Sedan Delivery inner fenders interchange, though early 1939 inner fenders do not have all the ribs the later ones do.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
37 Coupe

I had to make a pretty good size slot to clear the brake line to brake hose support on my 37 standard that I changed to 39 hydraulics. I had a pair of 39 Deluxe panels to look at and could see what they had and needed to be cut in my 37 panels. It was an easy job bolting the 37 panels up to the 37 frame (car)they came off of and seeing where I needed clearance.What I think may give you some grief is frame side rails drilled the same on a 39 Deluxe as 38 Standard panels,you will have to know where holes need to be in frame,will give you plenty headaches later on. Another thing you need to consider is a 39 Deluxe frame and a 38 Standard frame may look the same but front crossmember on Deluxe is entirelly different even than a 39 Standard which would be easier for you. The deeper crossmember on 39 Deluxe and 40 Fords for the different fan attachment(on crankshaft) was all neccesary for the lower radiator and grill ,this will have to be addressed before you try to put standard front sheet metal on frame designed for Deluxe front sheet metal.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Big Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Another thing you need to consider is a 39 Deluxe frame and a 38 Standard frame may look the same but front crossmember on Deluxe is entirelly different even than a 39 Standard which would be easier for you. The deeper crossmember on 39 Deluxe and 40 Fords for the different fan attachment(on crankshaft) was all neccesary for the lower radiator and grill ,this will have to be addressed before you try to put standard front sheet metal on frame designed for Deluxe front sheet metal.
Thanks for the information. Especially on the crossmember. Any suggestions to make this work? I am going to look at in more detail this weekend.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
37 Coupe

I think it will work it just would make it easier for you if you had a 38 frame to look at to make sure you have holes or threads in correct places for aprons. One thing good you have is a 39 frame is already set up for hydraulics so you do not have to mess with that, you will not have clutch arm interference with frame as you sometime do with 39 pedals in an earlier frame. I had a restored 39 frame/chassis ready to go when I started on a 37 coupe that had a good solid frame,actually thought at the time to just drop coupe body on the hydraulic brake 39 chassis and not drill and cut holes in good 37 frame. What stopped me was seeing the sheet metal mounts on 37 frame front crossmember and not seeing them on 39 deluxe one and visualizing alignment problems with front sheet metal. This is how I remember situation and this was 7 years ago already so mayby I have it wrong in my memory. What you want to do is not impossible and I do not think depth of front crossmember will be a factor but position of the front sheet metal brackets may be or should be addressed now.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Big Earl

Thanks for the input. I will be working with the front sheet metal this weekend. I would rather drill the inner fenders to match the frame than the other way around. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
Big Earl

After attempting to put the front sheetmetal on, I found that I will need to put a 38 radiator on. The 39 is too wide for the standard grill. Will the 38 radiator bolt right up?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Karl Wescott

The radiator mounting brackets are different 1935-38 (39 Std) and 1939 (Deluxe)-1940. They will have to be changed.

See our frame diagram for the difference. http://www.wescottsauto.com - tech - frame diagrams.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Big Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
The radiator mounting brackets are different 1935-38 (39 Std) and 1939 (Deluxe)-1940. They will have to be changed.

See our frame diagram for the difference. http://www.wescottsauto.com - tech - frame diagrams.
Thanks Karl. I am going to pick up my 38 radiator from storage this weekend, and see what modifications need to be made.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Big Earl

I have the radiator off of the coupe now. Looking at the frame drawings I do not see any vertiacle height difference between the 38 radiator mount and the 39 radiator mount. Can anyone tell me if there is a vertical height difference between the two?

I think that the 38 would sit lower due to the lower radiator hose location. when I mocked up the radiator the inlets were in interference with the fan.
Do I need to be running a different fan setup?

39 setup

mock up with the 38 radiator

This the engine setup from the 38. The engine was just sitting there. The fan seems to be different location (above the dist)
Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
jerry grayson

You cannot use the 39 deluxe fan, you will need to use a 39 standard two brush generator and the fan for it.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Big Earl

Got the inner fenders in place after a little work with a hole saw and cutoff wheel. They still need to be cleaned up and painted.

Got the front sheet metal mocked up too
Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
rich b

The fan in your '38 picture don't look right either. I think you need the fan set up
that is mounted to the generator.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Big Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
The fan in your '38 picture don't look right either. I think you need the fan set up
that is mounted to the generator.
Your right Rich... I will need to relocate the fan