Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2023, 03:24 PM   #1
Erbleding

Default 36 oil/grease leak

Hi all, I recently purchased a 36 4 door sedan convertible. The salesman said he thought there was a rear main seal leaking. I knew this was unlikely because I believe there is an oil slinger and not a seal. Anyway…I got the car delivered, put in the garage with a drip pan and after a week, there was but one drip of oil, but it was further back behind the gear box. First thing I did before driving the car was to flush and fill all fluids, including engine oil, gear box oil, rear end gear oil, brake fluid (upgraded juice brakes).
Then on Sunday we had warm weather in the mid 60’s and the wife and I decided to take the car to town. On the way back, I stopped to get gas and noticed about a 3” diameter of very thick dirty oil/grease on the concrete. I wasn’t convinced it was from my car, but I drove home and stopped in the drive with the engine running for about five minutes. When I pulled away,mi found another spot of very dirty oil/grease about 1/2” diameter.
When I climbed underneath, I found a lot of slopped grease around a round ball just forward of the clamb shell. I looked like there was a rubber boot that was destroyed. It was a little wet around the clamb shell and where the Speedo goes in. I wiped everything off and waited until today to check the drip pan. There was only one drop in the pan. I checked the gear box oil and it was still full and very clean. Any ideas where this could be leaking from. I have attached pics after the initial wipe down and also the drip pan from this morning

Last edited by Erbleding; 03-27-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Erbleding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:50 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: 36 oil/grease leak

The leak could be coming from the rear of the transmission through the universal joint area. Did you do any greasing of the u-joint? Many people use John Deere for head grease for lubricating the u-joint on these cars.

I hope to see your car sometime since you are nearby.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:18 PM   #3
Erbleding

I have not greased anything since receiving the car, but there is a ball at the point where the rear axel bars come to a point and it looks like there should be a boot there. Do you know what that boot is called? I’m going to need to replace it since there are a few pieces of the old one left, but it’s destroyed
Old 03-27-2023, 04:36 PM   #4
petehoovie

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351250564278

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 03-27-2023 at 04:49 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:41 PM   #5
Erbleding

Thank you. This is it. Looks like it’s a job to install it
Old 03-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #6
petehoovie

Piece of cake...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:25 PM   #7
cas3

There is a hole in the back side, you blow air in the hole as you force the rubber over the steel ball. This helps expand the rubber, and she goes rite on
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:22 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

It's possible that someone pumped that universal housing with too much lube, and the seal on that housing is allowing grease to leak out. By design some transmission oil will come thru the open ball bearing in the rear of transmission and into the universal housing. This oil mixes with universal gear lube and makes it more likely to leak. Also, if the front torque tube seal is worn it can allow oil from the rearend to enter the universal housing. These old Fords are well known for marking their territory no matter what you do to make sure the seals are good. I usually keep a piece of cardboard or a drip pan under the engine and transmission area when my cars are parked inside for some length of time.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-27-2023 at 09:02 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:23 PM   #9
Erbleding

I guess it’s possible it was over greased. As far as the torque tube goes…are you saying that rear end gear lube enters the torque tube? I’m not real knowledgeable about that setup. I’ve mostly had cars with open drive shafts
Old 03-27-2023, 08:36 PM   #10
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbleding View Post
I guess it’s possible it was over greased. As far as the torque tube goes…are you saying that rear end gear lube enters the torque tube? I’m not real knowledgeable about that setup. I’ve mostly had cars with open drive shafts
Yes, rear end lubricant (dope) can and often does migrate into and through the torque tube

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:50 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbleding View Post
There is no seal to prevent gear oil from coming out of rear banjo housing, thru the open pinion bearing, and going into the torque tube, but under normal conditions, that oil just drains back into the rear. If you happen to park on a very steep hill, with front of car pointing down, or if the back of the car is lifted very high with front wheels still on the ground, the rear oil can travel up the torque tube and enter the universal housing if the front seal is worn. However, it's a lot less likely to happen than having gear oil come out of transmission and go into the universal housing.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:22 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Yes, rear end lubricant (dope) can and often does migrate into and through the torque tube
This is exacerbated on a car with a "California Rake".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote