Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
ed s.

Default Pros and cons on Zenith 13922 carburetor

I have heard alot of good things re. the above mentioned Carb. My 29 is a fun car , something to take the grandkids out and drive in a few parades we have here at the beach ... It is not a show car .. I did check Ford Barn past correspondence dated 2010 with mixed reviews ..I'm also looking to buy one if anybody has one for sale and not using anymore ...
ed s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
steve s

Default Re: Pros and cons on Zenith 13922 carburetor

Two downsides IMO, neither are show-stoppers: It's noisier than the cast iron Zeniths. You have to modify the fuel line at the carb fitting. On the positive side, its resistance to stalling on fast stops and vapor lock issues is vastly superior to any other of the numerous other carbs I've tried, including the brand new Zenith 1. Otherwise, it's mileage and responsiveness and power seem comparable.

Steve

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There is also no GAV adjustment and a very slight loss of power (1 HP) I know I know what's one horse but he wanted to know.

By the way the thread in 2010 has all this info and more.

My personal opinion is, with people like Steve at Berts rebuilding the original back to original specs, any cost savings are negligible.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
ed s.

My 29 is going thru a complete rebuild process .. New long block , transmission , perktronic electronic ignition , etc. . Carburetion is the next item under review , the reason for the post .. Bought my car on ebay ( beware ebay buyers ) and the car had a cracked block which I found after flushing the radiator ..Seller said SORRY no warranties .. So , I'm in to this another $3500. more than expected . New Zenith 13299 carb. is $300. .. What the hell its only MONEY !!!!!
ed s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
jhowes

I have not heard of the zenith 13299. What is it? Where is it offered?
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I have not heard of the zenith 13299. What is it? Where is it offered?

Some might say that another downside is its appearance--it has a sort of cobbled together look. On the positive side, it is "balanced" for air cleaner usage, if you're that sort of person. I've never had a problem due to no GAV; might have to hold the choke open a bit longer on cold starts; there's an enrichment setting T-valve on the bottom of the carb that you fiddle with and then forget.

For some reason I've never understood, it seems to raise the ire of restorer purists more than the nearly as goofy looking aftermarket Tillotsons and Marvel-Scheblers. You will see it denigrated as the "forklift carburetor."
Old 10-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Skeezixx

I have one and like it. The "T Valve" replaces the GAV and you set it once and forget it.

The parts to rig a fuel line to it I found off the shelf at Lowe's Hardware.

It leaks less than my original Zenith and I don't have to fiddle with it near as much.

On the down side it's hard to find a filter to fit it. The instructions (which refer to it as a Model 68) illustrate a "filter adapter" But I haven't investigated that yet I rigged up a small Moroso filter to it.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Glenn C.

We have two of them now, mounted on each of our cars with no problems. One less thing that you have to fool with.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Patrick L.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to install an original throttle shaft. That would make it look a whole lot 'more better'.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
For some reason I've never understood, it seems to raise the ire of restorer purists more than the nearly as goofy looking aftermarket Tillotsons and Marvel-Scheblers. You will see it denigrated as the "forklift carburetor."
Ah. But this is NEW. Whereas the Tillys and the MSs and even the Wizard/Simmons have been around for longer than a generation. We mostly ALL grew up in the age where one could still buy an aftermarket carburetor for the Model A at Western Auto or Sears or J.C. Whitney.

But this - this is a usurper - a pretender to the Model A crown.

I mean - this is like putting on a Chevy overhead valve head on a Model A engine block.

It's just a carburetor - not a MODEL A CARBURETOR.

Heh. Give it 20 years.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 10-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Ah. But this is NEW. Whereas the Tillys and the MSs and even the Wizard/Simmons have been around for longer than a generation. ....
Heh. Give it 20 years.

Joe K
Joe,
Would it really matter? I'm betting it wouldn't change a thing. Close inspection of the 13922 spec sheet shows the date 1981. That's 32 years ago--more than a generation. Snyders was selling brand new Tillotsons well into the 1990's.

Steve
Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Joe K

Heh. You may be right. There are still those who look at my Tillotson X and smirk and say "when are you going to step up to a REAL carburetor (meaning Zenith.)"

I pay them no mind.

And it's funny. A comment on THAT but nothing said about my JC Whitney horn?

Humanity NEEDS benchmarks to measure one's ego against. Some choose carburetors. Others choose vintage wine.

Some of us settle for Millar Light.

Joe K
Old 10-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Skeezixx

I think there are a lot more of these running around than people admit to. When I was on the phone ordering mine (my first one that is) someone in the building hailed the salesman who replied to them "I'll be with you in a minute......I'm selling another of those Model A carbs."

And, BTW it IS a Zenith!
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Kevin in NJ

The most reliable fun cars are also the most stock. That especially includes factory points.

If you have a properly rebuilt original carb with original jets that are properly setup on a well rebuilt engine (a good B cam helps) you should expect a trouble free engine that gets over 20 MPG and runs happily at 55 to 65 MPH all day long.
Your biggest headaches should be to remember all the oiling/ grease points and every few years (depending on miles) setting the points if needed.

If you search the archives there seem to be many questions about fixing the cars with alternators and electronic ignitions.

But hey what could I know.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Joe,
Would it really matter? I'm betting it wouldn't change a thing. Close inspection of the 13922 spec sheet shows the date 1981. That's 32 years ago--more than a generation. Snyders was selling brand new Tillotsons well into the 1990's.

Steve
I think Sacramento vintage still is.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Brattons sells a new Tillotson model X for $350.00 . look on page 60 of the new Brattons catalog
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
Jordan

had one on my car and loved it. took it apart to clean it & lost the ball in the float valve.... moved on to a weber anyways.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Have one on the tudor and really like it - seems to have more "get up and go". I wouldn't hesitate to get another should I have the need. BTW - I like Tilly better then the cast iron zenith. Just my opinion and you all know about opinions - everyone has them.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #19
TudooR31

[QUOTE=Skeezixx;748172]I have one and like it. The "T Valve" replaces the GAV and you set it once and forget it.

The parts to rig a fuel line to it I found off the shelf at Lowe's Hardware.

Hi Skeezixx,
Could you tell exactly how you rigged the fuel line? Took my 13922 and stock fuel line to Lowe's last night and they eventually threw up their hands. Car Quest could only configure 2 slide up pipe adaptors and a rubber fuel hose. I'm reluctant to use rubber because of the close exhaust manifold. I'd also like to retain most of the stock look. I've painted my 13922 black so it kind of resembles the original. Maybe you can post a picture?

Also could you explain how you set the "T Valve"?

Thanks
TudooR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #20
Aretino

running a 13922 on my 31 coupe. No complaints.
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #21
J Franklin

I have run Zenith original, Tilloton, and this "new" carb. The Tillotson is my favorite. I find the 13922 seems to allow the revs to fall off faster between shifts and helps with getting it into the next gear. I'm a fiddler with knobs so I miss the GAV with this carb.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote