Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Mac's quality control

Parts made as a whole could easily be expressed as PPM even if a million parts made. Simple math to convert. What it would really show is the parts as a whole currently made are of poor overall qualit and far under acceptable levels in most industry. Of the 200 plus parts I have bought over the last 10 years, I have sent back 7. That to me is pretty unacceptable. Rod
Old 10-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I know "parts per million", but thought...couldn't realistically apply here, 'cause WHAT antique car parts are repro'd in the millions-count of pieces? DD
ISO 9001 is in theory a great program. It allows (approximatly) what you'd referred to. That is typically one part per so many million produced to be less than "perfect. Even then, it does not allow that one part to be defective but rather to be outside a specific tolerance.
The company I worked for was certifeis each year in ISO9001. Like other companies I knew of, once the inspectors left the building, the typical way of manufacturing came back instantly. Not to say we did not make very high quality parts - we did. However, that was only becuase as a company we cared to.
Guys like Drake (example) don't have a clue as to what ISO means nor do they care enough to bother in any meangful way to utilize a true quality control program.
They get away with selling poop to easily to guys that accept it as "good enough" so they will continue to sell poop.
Until folks tell these companies (through NOT purchasing from them) that they will no longer accept the poop, well, they will continue to be handed it.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
Carbroke

I can't believe some of the folks here when it comes to parts.

Virtually any part a fella wants or needs for almost any ford ever made is available as NOS, Repops, or good used.

You have no appreciation for how available everything you want is for a ford.

To get some perspective on the parts issue, I suggest you all take on a Mopar project where virtually nothing is available unless it is for the "muscle Car Era cars, and then only for certain models.

Trust me, you will appreciate any part you come up with that can be made to work after that experience. Ford and Chevy folks are just a bit on the spoiled side me thinks.

Complaining about a washer that has too small of an inner hole (likely because the coating was a tad too thick that day in the dip tank) seems a bit whiney to me.
Carbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Parts made as a whole could easily be expressed as PPM even if a million parts made. Simple math to convert. What it would really show is the parts as a whole currently made are of poor overall qualit and far under acceptable levels in most industry. Of the 200 plus parts I have bought over the last 10 years, I have sent back 7. That to me is pretty unacceptable. Rod
In a previous comment I had referenced a company I'd worked for. we did in fact produce parts by the millions. Defects? At most, one or two a year TOTAL got shipped.
Seven out of 200 as you have experienced is (should be) the death blow to that company.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt63bird View Post
Kube, what are you trying to find, and have you tried the vendors that specialize in '58-'66 'Birds? Feel free to PM me direct. Also try Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l's website www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net - I'm VTCI's Tech Director and if there's anything I need to be aware of it's things like what you're going through. Now I wish I had some '61 parts to trade for what I need for my '40 Std Tudor (and I need a LOT of little things).
Alan, Thank you for the kind offer. I am repairing this car for a friend of mine. I will keep your number on file.
Likewise, if I can be of any help with your '40, let me know.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
Rowdy
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Exactly my point. Our plant was also ISO certified. we were actually the forst plant in the company to become ISO compliant. It was alot of work to get it to that standard and to maintain that standard, but in order to have the ability to bid on cantracts with the OE platforms it was very neccessary. Before ISO came into play with them, we mostly produced shocks for Ford and maintained their Q1 status for 25+ years. Rod
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
gkgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36-5window View Post
WOW! you guys are hard to please! I been a mechanic 50 years now, parts men have a tough life. They get the wrong parts, slow shipping of parts, and they get blamed for it! no need to get excited fellas, many times parts getting is a problem. give em' a brake.
I was a parts person/manager for 40 Years. Today I called the local Advance auto parts store and asked for a specific part. The young lady I spoke to went to the shelf to check stock, when she came back several minutes later she said "yes we have that". When I got there I couldn't find it so I ask here where it was, she said right over here. When we got to the shelf she looked at the item and said "oh I'm sorry, I thought that was what you wanted, I guess we don't have that". I just walked out of the store.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Hell, it doesn't even do much good any more to tell them twice..."NO KETCHUP"! It's really a "treat" any more to get parts (or a burger) that ARE what you asked for, what you expected, and what you paid for. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
ems customer service

we sell to macs and have for a long time and to the new owners ecklers, if a customers complains about a ems automotive product or has a tough tech questions, we get a phone call, (but we are available to call vs china) and are expected to answer. macs does does have a full time person who job it is to get answers and provide solutions. sometomes solutions re not available or do take sometime to get through the manufacturing process

the ems guy
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
tiger.1000

I don't know how it works in the U.S, but here in the UK we have protection for consumers. If goods are of inferior quality they can be returned to the vendor for a FULL refund including carriage (sorry, shipping). If paid for with a credit or debit card the claim can be processed by the credit/debit card company. Enough of those landing on their desks should be a wake up call ?

But as stated previously, as long as Barners continue to accept shoddy goods manufacturers will continue to churn them out and motor factors will continue to sell them.

I don't think Rolls Royce owners would accept rubbish but it seems that we humble for
custodians have to.

Well; for the time being, that is.

On another topic but only deviating slightly; I see that U.S. dealers are permitted by law to advertise and sell secondhand cars "as is, as seen; no warranty". How do they get away with that ?

As a garage proprietor I am bound by law to give a guarantee on a used car, even if it's 15 years old and for sale at £1000 !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #31
tiger.1000

Above should read HUMBLE FORD OWNERS.
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
I don't know how it works in the U.S, but here in the UK we have protection for consumers. If goods are of inferior quality they can be returned to the vendor for a FULL refund including carriage (sorry, shipping). If paid for with a credit or debit card the claim can be processed by the credit/debit card company. Enough of those landing on their desks should be a wake up call ?

But as stated previously, as long as Barners continue to accept shoddy goods manufacturers will continue to churn them out and motor factors will continue to sell them.

I don't think Rolls Royce owners would accept rubbish but it seems that we humble for
custodians have to.

Well; for the time being, that is.

On another topic but only deviating slightly; I see that U.S. dealers are permitted by law to advertise and sell secondhand cars "as is, as seen; no warranty". How do they get away with that ?

As a garage proprietor I am bound by law to give a guarantee on a used car, even if it's 15 years old and for sale at £1000 !
Large car dealers (and some small) usually will inspect and guarantee the cars they sell to the public. Of course their prices will be slightly higher. They auction the rest off to other dealers. Smaller dealers and personal sellers usually permit the potential buyer to take the car to their mechanic. If the car wasn't guaranteed and they would not let me take it to mechanic I would shop elsewhere. The free market will put them out of business. I am happy with this approach and hope the government stays out of our lives.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
Paul/Woodinville

I want quality and don't mind paying for it, but what I do mind is paying for a quality part and getting junk that I have to spend a hour trying to make it fit.
Paul/Woodinville is offline   Reply With Quote