Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
chopo

Default towing question

would it be ok to tow dolly an A on its rear wheels in neutral?

dont scare me i poop easy
chopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
28ACoupe

Default Re: towing question

yup. Much better to put it on a trailer though. Much less likely to get squirrelly.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

to answer your question yes.
is it the preferred way no,,, for a lot of reasons
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
chopo

im looking at a 200 mile round trip at 50 mph.... any issues with that?

dont scare me i poop easy
chopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
29 Tudor

Might be okay for a while but since the cluster gear in the tranny (which is what moves the lube around) is turned by the input shaft, without the engine running, the bearings on the input shaft, output (main) shaft and the roller at the front of the main shaft will not be getting any lubrication other that what was there when you started the tow. I wouldn't do it very far.....

The input shaft bearing is not a problem since it won't be turning but the main shaft and roller at the front of the main shaft will.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't do it for 200 miles without running the engine.

Steve
29 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
1wonton
BANNED

Lock the steering wheel and tow it backwards.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

no body here has a crystal ball to know if maybe a hub, rear or trans bearing could go, or if the trans may jump in gear , or a rear axle may break and a wheel may fall off and by not being in the actual car to hear some abnormal noise you'll never know something is wrong. i wouldnt tow it backwards either for some of the same reasons of a bearing failure

if it was me i would rent a uhaul flat trailer...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

For peace of mind, safety, successful product delivery, & an enjoyable trip, responses #2, #3, #5, & #7, i.e., favoring trailering, all appear to have a lot of merit.

I only had to go 10 miles with an 80 year old Model A & I chose to rent a trailer.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
QGolden

UHaul Auto Transport trailer is only 55 bucks a day. Damn cheap insurance. Call the three or four days ahead of the day you need it though as their are only a couple in each state. Go through a UHaul center too, not an independent sub contractor. There are restrictions on what the let tow trailers and the UHaul centers better understand the rules, plus if there is a lighting problem, or a ball problem, they have the parts to fix them, this is in my experience.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown

Last edited by QGolden; 03-19-2014 at 05:33 AM.
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
CarlG

Just don't show up at the U-Haul place with a Ford Explorer expecting to use it as your tow vehicle.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:39 AM   #11
QGolden

They will not allow you to exceed the Manufactures specifications for towing capacity. For an Auto Transporter you likley need a 3/4 ton truck. From UHauls site: (paraphrased)

Towing vehicle requirements:
Tow vehicle and trailer lighting must be operational at all times, day and night. All U-Haul trailers and towing are wired with a 4-way flat light connector.
Must weigh at least 3,500 lbs. (curb weight), and must equal or exceed 80% of the combined weight of the trailer (2,210 lbs.) and the vehicle being towed (up to 5,290 lbs.).
Must have a towing system that has a 5,000 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating
Must have 1-7/8" or 2" hitch ball (5,000 lbs. minimum)
Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height of 25"
Must have external mirrors on both sides
Must have fully operational lighting

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
31Tudor

Back in 1974, my Dad and I towed, with a tow bar, our 31 Roadster from Tacoma, Washington, to the national meet in Long Beach, CA. Running probably 60+ MPH, probably faster when I was driving, and made the trip with no problems. 45,000 miles later I am still running the roadster and have never had a transmission issue. We did not stop and run the motor at any time. I am going to say that if there is oil in the transmission, that a 200 mile run won't hurt anything. I think that trip was probably about 2,000 miles.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
desotoguy

Whatever you do, don't put it on the dolly backwards. The dolly need the front wheels to turn along with the pivot of the dolly to make a 90 degree turn. Another thing to consider is the rear wheel bearings and the extra load on them. If the passenger side bearing goes out, you could ruin the rear end before you realize you have a problem.
The above is from experience, I now have a trailer.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
1wonton
BANNED

I've never seen a tow dolly in which the wheels turn. The wheels are supposed to be securly cinched down into the chocks. The entire dolly pivots with the towing ball. Do whatever you want but if you have ever had a car towed you will remember the driver locked the steering wheel with straps or cords so that it would not turn aside while towing. I'd tow it backwards and have no concern about the driveshaft running dry.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Sixseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
They will not allow you to exceed the Manufactures specifications for towing capacity. For an Auto Transporter you likley need a 3/4 ton truck. From UHauls site: (paraphrased)
I was able to tow a 41 pickup with a 1500 series Suburban, with Uhaul approval. See rules about weight ratio. Might be a good idea to buy a trailer for some folks.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #16
SSsssteamer

When I got out of the Marine Corps in May of 1968, I towed our 1930 Model A pick up back home with a tow bar. The pick up had side boards and it was loaded full. We towed it from Twenty-nine Palms, California to Sedro-Woolley, Washington; a total of 1,453 miles with out a problem. I had to tie the steering wheel with a short rope because going in and out of gas stations without the steering wheel being tied, the pick up's front wheels would jack knife. I would do it again if needed.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
eagle

If your concerned about the transmission, add extra oil to the plug level. Should be enough to lube everything OK. If still concerned jack up the passenger side a bit to get more in. Drain it down to the proper level when complete. Will only take 5 minutes. Use some common sense and take it easy, you'll be fine.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote