Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Old Henry

Default Francis Stop Light Switch Fail

Just thought you might like to know that Ron Francis' low pressure brake light switch that's supposed to last much longer than the stock switch and cost three times as much lasted me two months. I'm running halogen bulbs for brake lights. It may be that the current was just too high for the switch. Interesting thing is that the switch failed stuck on instead of stuck off like the stock switches do when they fail. Maybe the contacts arced together because of the high current. I'm putting the stock one back in. At least I got a year out of them.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-29-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Bill S

Default Re: Francis Stop Light Switch Fail

A few years ago I installed one of the switches and it leaked. I was unable to stop the switch from leaking.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Halogen bulbs draw too much current for these switches. What I did was installed a horn relay on the frame rail close to the master cylinder so now it takes the load and all the switch on the master cylinder does is make and break the ground to operate the relay. Mine has been in service now for about 6 years.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
TomO

Ditch the halogen tail lights. They draw too much current for the wiring in a Ford.

You can install flashlight reflectors behind the stock bulbs and get lights that are bright enough to see under all conditions, except having blue dots.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Ken/Alabama

Im using 32 Ford headlight bulbs in my taillights.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Ditch the halogen tail lights. They draw too much current for the wiring in a Ford.

You can install flashlight reflectors behind the stock bulbs and get lights that are bright enough to see under all conditions, except having blue dots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Halogen bulbs draw too much current for these switches. What I did was installed a horn relay on the frame rail close to the master cylinder so now it takes the load and all the switch on the master cylinder does is make and break the ground to operate the relay. Mine has been in service now for about 6 years.
I knew the stock wiring wouldn't light up my halogen brake lights. In fact, I had to wire them with 9 gauge wire from the battery. I run blue dot lenses so needed bright bulbs. I like the idea of a relay. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Lawson Cox

On my 35 PU I painted the insides of the tail light bodies gloss white. Put out Plenty of light. I have a Harley Davidson stop light switch on mine, silicone brake fluid.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote