Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
flthd31

Default Need some 59ab Main Seal info

I'm getting ready to assemble a 59ab and wondered if I need to soak these main seals in oil. They are coated with a white soapy substance that I don't recall seeing before.
Also, that cork piece that goes in the groove under the rear main...does it need any special attention?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main Seals_001a.JPG (73.2 KB, 34 views)
flthd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Need some 59ab Main Seal info

I always soak the rope seals. On the cork I clean the groove with some laquer thinner and put a bead of RTV in there . Once I put the cork in I put the pan on without the side gaskets and make sure its lined up on the cork strip by installing a couple of pan bolts and leave it to let the RTV set up,this helps hold the cork in place. Once it sets up remove the pan then install the ropes and the rest of the pan gaskets. Before you install the pan I put a fat bead of RTV across the face of the cork strip where the pan seals against it and in the corners of the main cap and the side pan gaskets. This has always worked for me with good results. One other thing I do is put a small bead of RTV on the pot metal rope holders where they fit in the block and cap.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

I recomend you through the white rear seal in the circular files and get the BEST co. rear seal, it's so much better and easy to install and easy to trim the ends with the knife that goes with it. Alot of place has then like JOB Lot, Patrick's, ect. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
flthd31

Thanks, Ken for the info. I've had good results with the rope seals on a few 8ba's that I've built and always soaked them first. The RTV tips make sense also.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
4t8v8

After trying in vain to get the white FelPro seals to hold (twice). (8BA engine). I finally Googled Felpro to get any info I could. On their web site they said do NOT presoak the rope seals as the fibers in them expand when they soak up oil. If presoaked they will not compress in the groove as they should and a leak will result. Install them dry and put a few drops of oil on them before you install the oil pan. As they soak up oil they will expand and seal. This is their recommendation. I tried it. 3000 miles and no leaks!!
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
flthd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t8v8 View Post
After trying in vain to get the white FelPro seals to hold (twice). (8BA engine). I finally Googled Felpro to get any info I could. On their web site they said do NOT presoak the rope seals as the fibers in them expand when they soak up oil. If presoaked they will not compress in the groove as they should and a leak will result. Install them dry and put a few drops of oil on them before you install the oil pan. As they soak up oil they will expand and seal. This is their recommendation. I tried it. 3000 miles and no leaks!!
Very interesting.
I followed you lead and called FelPro Tech Line (800-325-8886) and they told me the same thing, that is, DO NOT SOAK white seals in oil.
He said the rope seals used to be made with asbestos and required soaking.
The white seals now are made of nylon with a white graphite coating. They will NOT absorb oil and soaking could remove the graphite coating.

He said to press them in the grove and trim if necessary. Then lightly coat the exposed surface with Lubriplate No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by flthd31 View Post
Very interesting.
I followed you lead and called FelPro Tech Line (800-325-8886) and they told me the same thing, that is, DO NOT SOAK white seals in oil.
He said the rope seals used to be made with asbestos and required soaking.
The white seals now are made of nylon with a white graphite coating. They will NOT absorb oil and soaking could remove the graphite coating.

He said to press them in the grove and trim if necessary. Then lightly coat the exposed surface with Lubriplate No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease.
Thanks for sharing,thats good information. Just about all of the seals I have used have been the old ones but I do have some of those new ones mentioned here.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote