Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2022, 08:06 AM   #1
Grumps

Default Wife wants Turn Signals

I have been promising the wife that I would put turn signals on the 30 Coupe to make it safer to drive on the streets with the crazy drivers that we have now. She said that it was dangerous for me to use the old arm signals for turning and to get it done, so I am going to ask for everyone's help to get it done right. I am still running a 6-volt positive ground, but I have up graded to an alternator, and I have installed halogen head lights and LED taillights. What would I need to get It done right?
Grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
BillCNC

Default Re: Wife wants Turn Signals

Some of us have turn signals from Turnswitch / Electo-Tech Inc. Read the spec sheet to find all it's features. I have the set with the toggle switch mounted to the top of the drivers side kick panel under the dash. The only way you can see it is if you almost have your head on the floor looking for it. I also am 6v pos ground with a Nu-Rex alternator.

No matter who you get it from, if they offer a wiring harness, get that as well, or you'll need to buy cloth wire and do it yourself which was the route I took. Not much saving in doing that and I should have bought the harness looking back.

http://turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm

Here is a PDF of the installation manual.

Regards
Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TS4INSTBK_1019.pdf (533.8 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by BillCNC; 10-21-2022 at 08:29 AM.
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:22 AM   #3
CA Victoria

To keep the original profile I like using the parking light inside the headlight or the cowl light. The cowl light is easy to convert. Led tail lights are great, consider adding a brake lighter third taillight in your rear window. It can be divided to work w/R&L turn signals.
The signal stat 900 is pretty reliable control. I prefer this over something hidden that is out of reach.
I just finished wiring my pickup I can offer a few more suggestions to help you along. Send an email if interested. T.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
old31

Like Bill, I have installed turnswitch many times and they really don't get any better than this product. The fuses, and flasher are in the box and have auto off and flashers.

The box and the toggle switch are hidden, and the cowl light are the directionals.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #5
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Victoria View Post
To keep the original profile I like using the parking light inside the headlight or the cowl light. The cowl light is easy to convert. Led tail lights are great, consider adding a brake lighter third taillight in your rear window. It can be divided to work w/R&L turn signals.
The signal stat 900 is pretty reliable control. I prefer this over something hidden that is out of reach.
I just finished wiring my pickup I can offer a few more suggestions to help you along. Send an email if interested. T.
Hi Tim,

Hiding the switch keeps the car looking original on the inside while being easily accessible. Using your existing lights as you mentioned keeps it looking original on the outside. Nobody would ever know you have turn signals unless you told them you did.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
katy

FWIW, I like the signal stat 900 or similar, w/that when someone else drives the Model A they're familiar w/the turn signals, not fumbling around looking for or trying to remember where the hidden switch is. Being that they're not self cancelling I installed a "beeper" to remind the driver that the signals are on.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #7
nkaminar

Little Rascals solution. Hard to see but there.

Fond memories. Full photo added. Who else remembers this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 7.52.31 AM.jpg (17.3 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 7.56.07 AM.jpg (21.7 KB, 76 views)
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 10-21-2022 at 10:00 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #8
Charlie Stephens

I like era correct driving or fog lights on the front bumper. Add a right side tail light and use the tail lights for the rear. I think the signal lights in the headlight bucket are too hard to see.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8217.jpg (59.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 10-21-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

My favorite unit as far as ease of installation, stealthy, and function;

http://ronsmachineshop.com/Hidden_Turn_Signal_Kits.html

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #10
Herb Concord Ca

I just installed turn signals for a club member's Slant town sedan. Use cowl lights in front and LEDs in left side taillight and a back window Brakelighter. Control is SignalStat 900. Installed load resistors for the LEDs, added a buzzer and grounded the signalstat clamp for its indicator light to work. ran extra wires as needed, used the original harness.
Work great when I got all done.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I like era correct driving or fog lights on the front bumper. Add a right side tail light and use the tail lights for the rear. I think the signal lights in the headlight bucket are too hard to see.

Charlie Stephens

With the new Logolite LED headlights the turn signals are easily seen, since the LEDs don't use the reflector. You would be surprised how much the amber lights up the ground in front of the car.

There are numerous threads on turn signals.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=29445358
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Signal.jpg (85.4 KB, 549 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-23-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #12
Tom Endy

I put turn signals on my Victoria years ago with a kit I got from Bratton's. The only negative is they are not self canceling. However it does have an audio device that buzzes while the signals are on. I also rigged up turn signal indicator lights that are mounted under the dash rail.

In the past two years I installed the same kit on my grandson's 1930 Tudor. When I went to order them from Bratton's I found they were no longer in their catalog. I spoke with Walt and he advised that the manufacturer went out of business, but he still had a few in stock and I was able to get one. He may still have some if anyone is interested. The attached article tells all about them.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...rn-Signals.pdf

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:55 PM   #13
JayJay

I used to own a '30 pickup that had been previously equipped with dual taillights and cowl lights. When I put turn signals in I used a SignalStat-based system using the stoplights and cowl lights and was very happy with it. I think the column-based lever is not only traditional but very intuitive. Have to say, though, that with the pickup's somewhat compressed cab and my not-25-anymore agility I often found myself hitting the turn signal lever upon exiting the cab.

My '31 Town Sedan came equipped with a turn signal set that the previous owner had installed (said he got it from "some guy advertising in the Restorer"). It uses a box with switches and indicator lights that is magnetically attached to the left side of the cowl/fuel tank, similar to the current Logo-lights system. It uses four amber LED lamps attached to the bumper clamps and mounted between the bumper rails. I don't like the separate control box on the cowl/fuel tank, and it bounces around and falls off on rough roads. One advantage is that this system has a buzzer when the turn signals are on, something that the SignalStat system doesn't (unless you add one during installation). A second advantage is that it's there! However, I think it's more intuitive to drivers in cars following to look for the turn signals in the tail lights, and I may try to convert the system to use the tail light bulbs rather than the separate bulbs (have to see if that will work with the control box, though).

I haven't yet decided what turn signal system I'll install when I get to building out the '30 Town Sedan, which is currently body off in restoration.

But Grumps, good on you, and good on your bride for prompting you to do it. I think turn signals are perhaps the single best safety upgrade that can be done for a Model A that is actually driven.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:10 PM   #14
Dave in MN

I also have turn signals from Turnswitch / Electo-Tech Inc on the two cars I drive the most. The system works on 6 volt or 12 volt either positive or negative ground. The best feature is they are self-canceling and they always work. I have installed three of the same kits on customers cars. I'm building up a third vehicle and it will have the same system...
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #15
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post

With the new Logolite LED headlights the turn signals are easily seen, since the LEDs don't use the reflector. You would be surprised how much the amber lights up the ground in front of the car.

There are numerous threads on turn signals.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=29445358
Y, I like the your idea of using the headlight as a directional. So, how did you wire the headlight to the directional box?
Old 10-22-2022, 09:19 AM   #16
springerpete

Which design you use be sure they are very, very visible. I don't care for the ones hiding between the front bumper bars as they are too weak. Just because you know you have signals on your A does not mean others can see them. I have the fog type lights on the front of my car and the strong LED tail lights in the rear. I added the second rear light on my '29. I am more interested on going the safety route instead of trying to be year specific with my car.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 10:08 AM   #17
nkaminar

I am thinking that one could blink the headlights. That should be noticeable.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 10:13 AM   #18
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Y, I like the your idea of using the headlight as a directional. So, how did you wire the headlight to the directional box?
Old31, It is not actually the headlight but the parking light. I have the two bulb reflectors. I hope that answers your question?
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #19
Tinbasher

Logo Lites .com have a good kit. The control box is magnetic and you can put it on the gas tank. simple to install and works well. Plus it gives you 4 way flashers and LED lamps that mount in the bumper to the bumper clamp bolts.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #20
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Old31, It is not actually the headlight but the parking light. I have the two bulb reflectors. I hope that answers your question?
Yes thanks.