Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Sooner

Default When The Choke Is Pulled......

When the choke is pulled, does it also open a gas jet? In other words, is there a danger of flooding the engine by prolonged use of the choke?

This is on a Tillotson F1B Carb, with the rounded bowl and the power jet.

Thanks!
Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: When The Choke Is Pulled......

No jet involved, just give one quick choke & that's enough. Dripping under carb after choking is normal. Bill W.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Tudortomnz

As Bill has said, a quick pull / release of the choke is only needed [ mine has a Zenith] & she will fire on the release. If not, something is not right.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
Sooner

Sometimes the engine fires right up, the very next day it may take 20 seconds of cranking.

I'm getting ready to replace points, plugs and condensor, hoping that will fix whatever is wrong.

Fuel tank has just been flushed, and a rebuilt carb installed, so I'm hoping the problems is on the ignition side.

Also wondering if I've been choking it too long?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Sometimes the engine fires right up, the very next day it may take 20 seconds of cranking.

I'm getting ready to replace points, plugs and condensor, hoping that will fix whatever is wrong.

Fuel tank has just been flushed, and a rebuilt carb installed, so I'm hoping the problems is on the ignition side.

Also wondering if I've been choking it too long?
Whoa!
Before throwing parts at it, it's best to diagnose to see if the part is bad. Also, if you are wondering if you are choking it too long, then you are. Pull the choke for no more than about 2 engine revolutions, then release it. Have the spark lever full up while cranking and have the throttle lever down a few notches. Key on and gas turned on, and it should fire right up.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Banky

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Took me a while to get this right as well. Had the choke open way to long, which is only about 4 seconds. Gas is to expensive to pour is all over my garage floor
Banky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Dave Mc

Hard starting can also be too much advance on the timing,with the car running and the Spark Lever Up ,you should not be able to Rev the engine,if you can the the Timing is too far advanced,

Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Whoa!
Before throwing parts at it, it's best to diagnose to see if the part is bad. Also, if you are wondering if you are choking it too long, then you are. Pull the choke for no more than about 2 engine revolutions, then release it. Have the spark lever full up while cranking and have the throttle lever down a few notches. Key on and gas turned on, and it should fire right up.

All of the ignition system components are at least 40 years old, so I was going to change them out anyway and if it fixes this problem, so be it.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is a direct relationship between engaging the choke too long and flooding the engine.

Learning a lot from you guys. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mc View Post
Hard starting can also be too much advance on the timing,with the car running and the Spark Lever Up ,you should not be able to Rev the engine,if you can the the Timing is too far advanced,
Dave, now that you mentioned it, I watched a Youtube video of Les Andrews describing how the advance lever (not the correct name, but you know what I mean) should be hitting each side of the notch in the distributor when either fully retarded or fully advanced.

It hits when fully retarded, but not when fully advanced, so I'm thinking I should be able to retard it even more, and that may be part of the problem.

When I change out the ignition componets I'll rotate the steering column and get the timing set correctly and hopefully that will help this starting problem.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
All of the ignition system components are at least 40 years old, so I was going to change them out anyway and if it fixes this problem, so be it.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is a direct relationship between engaging the choke too long and flooding the engine.

Learning a lot from you guys. Thanks for your help!
Age doesn't necessarily mean a thing. If the point contacts are badly pitted or the rubbing block worn way down then change the points. If not they are likely better than some new ones.

Yes, holding the choke keeps feeding raw gas and will soon flood. When Tom says "two revolutions" I suspect what he really means it two compression strokes which you can easily hear and feel.
Errrum...Errrum... and release. And that is for stone cold only.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Richard Wilson

Also might be as simple as filing or sandpapering the points and resetting the points gap.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Willie Krash

I agree with Tom. Throwing parts a it and you'll dig a hole. Be careful of too many variables you add into the equation.
I have a model T that always started a little differently. It took a few months to figure out what it wanted and me to learn. It starts readily now. You are on the right track by asking questions. There are some great books out there and those by Ford and collectors (Tinkering Tips type) are invaluable. Old cars can be funny, they have personalities.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
TudooR31

Took me a while to get that quick open & close of the choke to get the engine to fire. I also found quicker cold starting on mine by turning the GAV counter-clockwise almost one full turn, then closing it gradually as the car warms up. I go over the whole gas-on, retard-up, throttle-down, key-on, start-foot-button, choke-open/close, retard/advance, throttle-up, GAV procedure with new passengers just to see the amazement grow on their faces. Then I tell them the dashboard is also the gas tank.
TudooR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
marc hildebrant

When I first got my Model A, I thought that it worked like a "modern" car where you choked it until it started, then removed the choke.

I found that the model A would flood easily, even when cold.

As others have said, two "burps" and I release the choke. Starts EVERY time, even when very cold.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
Fred K-OR

If you have choked it to much and nothing happens, try pulling the gas (throttle) lever 1/2 way down or so for a few cranking revolutions. Sometimes this clears up the flooded problem.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote