Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Roadster Rich

Default Windshield Stantions

I have a 1930 Standard Roadster and it was restored by myself and my dad back in 1965. The chromed stantion that tightens onto the body with the large wing nut appears to have a boss on the round base that should contact the body attach area and be a rotation stop so that the windshield will not hinge backward with the wind force. On mine the desirable position of the windshield (with top bows engaged) has this boss about 1/4 inch from contacting the stop. With the top down, no matter how hard you tighten the wing nut, the windshield rotates back way too far. Do I have an incorrect part in play? Any ideas how to correct? I could weld build up the boss on the stantion, but wanted to see if you know the correct way this should look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010028.jpg (38.9 KB, 53 views)
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
RHD

Post Re: Windshield Stantions

Sounds like the 'stop' on the stanchion has worn ans allowing the windscreen to go back too far. The rake wants to look like the pic below. I have included a few pics of good stanchions with the 'stop' as it should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Img_0031p.jpg (26.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of P1210256.jpg (33.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P1210215.jpg (35.5 KB, 41 views)
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Arlen

Default Re: Windshield Stantions

Probably need to look at the boss on the stantion your talking about. However, those are stainless steel, not regular steel chrome plated. Welding it would look bad since you couldn't plate over it.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Roadster Rich

Les, that picture says a thousand words. It looks like mine must have been some reproduction part back in the 60s. The boss is severely rusted but the rest of the part has held up quite well. Does not look like all could be stainless but possibly. May be best to replace these to the proper function and appearance. Thanks,
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster Rich View Post
Les, that picture says a thousand words. It looks like mine must have been some reproduction part back in the 60s. The boss is severely rusted but the rest of the part has held up quite well. Does not look like all could be stainless but possibly. May be best to replace these to the proper function and appearance. Thanks,
I'm not so sure they've been replaced. How early in 1930 was the car built?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Roadster Rich

Marco, my engine and chassis numbers match and are 3246343. I have always stated that this was produced in April of 1930. My dad and I started tearing down to the chassis when I was 14. The body and all the parts we took off were boxed up. When we had the engine and running gear running good (was my doodlebug to drive around our property sitting on a box, when I was 15) we sent to Page's Model A in NH for the rest of the restoration. I have no memory of what parts were original or replaced.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

I'm uncertain but earlier Roadsters MAY have had chrome plated steel stanchions. The first Deluxe Phaetons in July 1930 did, as well as all exports I've seen. I've never heard of reproduction standard stanchions except in recent years. There wasn't much demand as the majority of folks were converting standards to Deluxe models making original standard parts readily available for those in need.

Don't assume yours were replaced.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Roadster Rich

Thanks again. I am going to TIG weld up this area and form and polish to make it function correctly. We will see how good I can make them look. Thanks for all the input but I will try this way before spending $300 on a reproduction stainless part.