Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
bobpo

Default Cold weather driving question

After reading another post concerning cold weather driving and the inter Front unit, it mad me think,,,,what is considered to be ideal Temperature Range for the stock Model A? Between what and what..? I also run a 160 thermostat.

I've driven it in the well below freezing range outdoors and it runs in the "green" zone on the temp gauge.
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
steve s

Default Re: Cold weather driving question

with a thermostat, whenever the roads are clear enough to get it out.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
JBR

I think he meant motor coolant temperature. If so, you will probably get as many opinions as if you asked to "what weight oil to use". IMHO 160 - 180 is probably the ok with the higher end being better. The higher temperatures help burn off the corrosive condensation in the oil.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

How did they drive them 70 or 80 years ago all over the world? Don't think temps affected them at that time so why should it effect them now.

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 01-13-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Jason in TX

The hotter you run it, you will burn off condensation?

Well, science says that water don't turn to steam until 212 degrees. And if you run it to turn water into steam, you are also going to have a hard time seeing out of the windshield in a Model A because coolant will be dripping off that wind screen all over the pretty paint.

I think Model As need to warm up or the carburetor's venturi effect doesn't work as well. That is why there is a flat pad on the intake manifold touching the exhaust manifold. This heats the carb base. In cold weather when the engine isn't warm, the car runs poorly. Later cars installed heat risers for this fact.

On my car with dual downdraft stromberg carburetors, the carbs hang out in the breeze with little heat transfer out to the venturi walls. On cold days in that car, driving with the throttle open actually causes icing of the carbs, reducing power.

So, that is a long winded way of saying, Yeah, you need to warm up the engine, primarily so that it will run efficiently, but I also think anything below 212 is great to me! Mine usually runs around 140 in the winter.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
ed thibodeau

In 1958 I drove my stock model A 21 miles each way to college in 35 below weather and it ran fine, we didnt know about thermostats then I guess, and no heater.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
ford1

the water may only get to 180, but the engine oil is runnibg some where around 250, so the any water borne contaminates will be boild away, the hotter the engine the better the fuel is vaporized, vaporized fuel burns a lot better and cleaner than fuel that is going into the engine in a partial liquid state, its like running with the choke on, carbons up the plugs and causes them to foul quickly, thats why they made sparks plugs that you could take apart and clean, didnt know about thermostats at the time but as soon as they found out they stopped a lot of engine problems, especially carbon deposits in the engine and on the plugs, all car makers started using them
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
How did they drive them 70 or 80 years ago all over the world? Don't think temps affected them at that time so why should it effect them now.
We now know more about the ill-effects of cold-engine / short-trip driving than they did 80 years ago... and back then, probably few people wanted or expected their Model A to last "forever"...

As noted above, 160-180* water temp is a good goal.

So is running the engine until the oil reaches its maximum operating temperature, and the keeping the vehicle operating at the temp for a minimum of 15-20 minutes, to boil-out all the condensation from the crankcase....

Cadillac and Packard found out that warm engines ran better and lasted longer, and began equipping their cars with water-throttling thermostats around 1916... other makers such as Hudson and Lincoln (and later Packard) used automatic radiator shutters...

I have a 160* upper-hose stat in my '28, and it warms-up quickly and still does not overheat during summer months.

An excellent book about the subject is "Drive it Forever", by Robert Sikorski, SAE.

Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
columbiA

I have 160* T-stats in both my A,s & in cold weather I cover the lower 1/2 of the rad with cardboard & it runs around 160*.In summer,it also runs the same temp.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
30modelA

back then they run them on alcohol and leaded gas which burns cooler and cleaner than todays fuel
30modelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
columbiA

Actually,unleaded gas burns much cleaner & oil stays cleaner longer too,but I dont like the ethenol they add to the gas now as it makes them more prone to vapor lock.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
V4F

ive run mine at all temps . -30* - +106* . never a problem . 160* thermostate ,,, steve
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
bobpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve norcal View Post
ive run mine at all temps . -30* - +106* . never a problem . 160* thermostate ,,, steve

STEVE, WHERE IN THE DICKENS DID YOU FIND THAT -30 TEMP?
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
ford1

30 Model A, you are ihalf right on your post, alcohol burns cooler because it takes about twice as much to produce the same power as gasoline, and it does burn cleaner, your statement about leaded gasoline is wrong, its the lead in the gas that causes all the carbon deposits in the valves and the top of the pistons, lead was added to gas to slow the combustion down so the high compression engines wouldnt ping under hard acceleration or on long pulls on steep hills
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
Gord. B by the bay

Here in the Great White North The practise I use for cold storage is to start theA up and run at a fast idle until the bottom of the oil pan feels warm I do this the first of each month come May turn key on and go anyplace ready to go. This has been a real mild winter many days above 0 Fahr. Looking forward to Spring
Gord, B by the bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote