Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
coupe1942

Default Paint goof or telling on myself. :-)

My wife had put away my spray paint cans into a storage closet when we moved into our new home. I was going to paint a vintage Victorian stand gloss black that I was re-purposing. Welll, the paint cans were in the back of the cabinet, but I grabbed the closest one with the gloss black top and took it out to do the paint work. I didn't read the label first since the top was the color i wanted for the paint.

Pssssst, psssst, pssst. I had shaken the can plenty long and hard enough to get a good flow going, but as much as I sprayed with the nozzle, nothing seemed to cover up the old pant on the piece. Just sort of gave it a shiny gloss, instead. I must have sprayed that base three times with no better results before I finally thought to look at what brand of cheap paint was so awful in coverage. ZOINGO!

It wasn't paint at all, but she had mixed in a can of her hair spray into the paint storage area by accident. Ahhhh, wives.......... :-)

Oh, well, I now know that Paul Mitchell is one expensive product to use as paint and the coverage for such is awful. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paint Goof.JPG (173.4 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by coupe1942; 06-05-2016 at 05:47 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Paint goof or telling on myself. :-)

hahaha, well least it wasn't something like spray adhesive that would be terrible to remove.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

With one (1) black top can missing in that closet, please don't try to get even and wait for your wife to spray her hair with Gloss Black ....... hate to read Headlines ......

Husband arrives at hospital covered with paint while gasping for air.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-05-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Big hammer

You just used the 33% free on the can, no harm :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Hopefully she apologized for her mistake! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #6
MikeK

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Vintage Victorian items are expected to be well coiffed. Try putting the can of Rustoleum in her cabinet and see what happens.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
ronn

sounds like you're having a "bad hair" day..........................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Telling on one's self does not happen often; but, I can imagine if we were all as admirably honest as you are, all of us have had a similar experience ...... perhaps something even far more exciting!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
My wife had put away my spray paint cans into a storage closet when we moved into our new home. I was going to paint a vintage Victorian stand gloss black that I was re-purposing. Welll, the paint cans were in the back of the cabinet, but I grabbed the closest one with the gloss black top and took it out to do the paint work. I didn't read the label first since the top was the color i wanted for the paint.

Pssssst, psssst, pssst. I had shaken the can plenty long and hard enough to get a good flow going, but as much as I sprayed with the nozzle, nothing seemed to cover up the old pant on the piece. Just sort of gave it a shiny gloss, instead. I must have sprayed that base three times with no better results before I finally thought to look at what brand of cheap paint was so awful in coverage. ZOINGO!

It wasn't paint at all, but she had mixed in a can of her hair spray into the paint storage area by accident. Ahhhh, wives.......... :-)

Oh, well, I now know that Paul Mitchell is one expensive product to use as paint and the coverage for such is awful. :-)
Do the right thing and kick her butt to the curb! Wayne
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #10
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Telling on one's self does not happen often; but, I can imagine if we were all as admirably honest as you are, all of us have had a similar experience ...... perhaps something even far more exciting!
Yep, one Sunday afternoon I was going to spray some black on a few parts needed to finish the project. Only had enough black to do it but picked up the thinner can that had solvent. Project was put on hold for a few days.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

One of the oddest one I heard years ago was a guy with a terrible hangover who approached his lavatory in the dark with half-closed eyes and started brushing his teeth with his wife's tube of Preparation H.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-06-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
One of the oddest one I heard years ago was a guy with a terrible hangover who approached his lavatory in the dark with half-closed eyes and started brushing his teeth with his wife's tube of Preparation H.
He truly made an ass of himself! Wayne
Old 06-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #13
Keith True

A couple of years ago I painted a set of fenders for a 65 VW.I had painted the body a couple of months before,single stage urethane,set up nicely.The fenders never hardened,they stayed gummy.Turns out the activator for the primer I had used came in a can with the same designs as the activator for the paint.The guy at the paint store had grabbed the wrong one off the shelf,and I never looked at it.The primer catalyst was not the same as the paint catalyst.I've known people that tried to brush their teeth with preparation H and KY.I had a relative mix up a tube of ben-gay with KY in the dark,she said that was a mistake she would never make again.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #14
coupe1942

As a teen, I played in a rock band and was often out very, very late in the morning in finishing a set. When I woke up the next morning, I usually had a bowl of breakfast cereal before starting my day and heading off to school.

Want a real good wake up for your day. Just reach into the fridge and not pay attention as you grab a quart of butter milk instead of regular milk. First bite of cereal will let you know it is not quite what you expected, for sure. Probably few drink butter milk these days, but it was a favorite for my Dad back then. :-)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote