Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2023, 09:58 PM   #1
jdfitzyou

Default 50 F1 overheating solved

my first post, thought I would share the issue I had and the solution. As many others, my stock F1 was constantly running hot. Aluminum radiator, 16 inch electric fan with shroud, high flow water pumps from Skip. Checked timing, fuel flow, carburetor, distributor, vacuum advance, compression,combustion test.Would idle for an hour and never go above 175. Start to cruise and in 5 minutes it would be at 210. Tried with 160 thermostats, 180 high flow thermostats, washers, no thermostats, even tried different radiator, no change. Today I pulled electric fan and replaced with original 4 blade fan. Drove for 20 minutes at 55/60 mph and temperature never went over 160. Electric fan was great at idle but when cruising it restricted air flow. Will install thermostats tomorrow to try and keep temperature in the 180 range. Can't tell you how pleased I am.
jdfitzyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:27 AM   #2
Ggmac

Default Re: 50 F1 overheating solved

Glad you found it .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:41 AM   #3
pistonbroke

Some times we just create our own problem when trying to fix it. Good work and thanks for shearing the knowledge. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:41 AM   #4
deuce5wndw

Welcome and thanks for the information.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:44 AM   #5
mfirth

Had an electric fan on my 52 Vic from the previous owner and had the same results. New 180 stats, removed elect. fan and she ran 180-190 all the time.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:43 PM   #6
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfitzyou View Post
my first post, thought I would share the issue I had and the solution. As many others, my stock F1 was constantly running hot. Aluminum radiator, 16 inch electric fan with shroud, high flow water pumps from Skip. Checked timing, fuel flow, carburetor, distributor, vacuum advance, compression,combustion test.Would idle for an hour and never go above 175. Start to cruise and in 5 minutes it would be at 210. Tried with 160 thermostats, 180 high flow thermostats, washers, no thermostats, even tried different radiator, no change. Today I pulled electric fan and replaced with original 4 blade fan. Drove for 20 minutes at 55/60 mph and temperature never went over 160. Electric fan was great at idle but when cruising it restricted air flow. Will install thermostats tomorrow to try and keep temperature in the 180 range. Can't tell you how pleased I am.
================================================

Curious, Was your electric fan running in the Wrong Direction ?

Old 08-17-2023, 01:04 AM   #7
jdfitzyou

No, fan was running correctly, it was a puller. When it was running you could place your hand between it and the alternator for only a few seconds because the air it was pulling thru the radiator was so warm.
Today was 100 degrees so after I put in 160 degree thermostats I took it for a short trip about 20 miles, temperature reached 170-175 degree. Going to run it like this for a while before changing over to 180's.
jdfitzyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:44 PM   #8
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfitzyou View Post
No, fan was running correctly, it was a puller. When it was running you could place your hand between it and the alternator for only a few seconds because the air it was pulling thru the radiator was so warm.
Today was 100 degrees so after I put in 160 degree thermostats I took it for a short trip about 20 miles, temperature reached 170-175 degree. Going to run it like this for a while before changing over to 180's.

Good job. Lots of folks refuse to believe what you just proved. Typical temps for a "wide open" thermostat are 10-15 degrees above rating, so a 180 'stat may run 190-195 in the heat but closer to 180-185 in cooler weather.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote