Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
ctvpa

Default facebook

Any idea why the new MAFCA facebook site was closed?
https://www.facebook.com/#%21/pages/...650546?fref=ts
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
ctvpa

Default Re: facebook

From MAFCA
"The site is on a temporary hold until a few issues can be worked out. Should be back up in a few days."
Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Happy

The MAFCA Facebook page is back up and running. The page is open for viewing by anyone, but you must join Facebook and "Like" the page to be able to post comments or photos. Please do not post any advertising or technical information, as they will be removed. The page is for world wide outreach to those who have an interest in the Model A hobby through posting of photos and encouraging dialogue between enthusiasts. Here is the link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/modelafordclubofamerica
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Roadster62

I may be too old to understand "FaceBook"How can it be seen without joining?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
billwill

Ive hear nothing but bad about facebook too parsonal Ive nothing
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
700rpm

I don't trust Facebook. And I decline to engage with any organization through Facebook, and definitely if they require that I join FB and "like" them. I think this is a misguided move by MAFCA.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
SDJason

Folks - if you don't want to join Facebook, fine - there's always MAFCA's website as a resource as well...
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
DougVieyra

Default facebook - 'Cookie" and unsolicted 'junk mail'

I was set to 'join' ('like') MAFCA's 'Face Book', until I read the info about 'Cookies' and the unlimited 'junk' mail that it will send to your email 'in' box. No thank you ! ! !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Karl

I'm sorry I don't get facebook .
My kids are into it big time but for me it just seems like a big waste of time. Maybe I'm just old ( 49 years and 346 days ) or antisocial. If you're into it good luck it's just not for me -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
Folks - if you don't want to join Facebook, fine - there's always MAFCA's website as a resource as well...
Which begs the question, "Why have a Facebook page?"

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Roadster62

Is the website and FaceBook the SAME or two different things? If you join the website and post are you infected with the FaceBook crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Which begs the question, "Why have a Facebook page?"
Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
Arlen

I've had Facebook for years. Completely safe. Not sure what your talking about as far as junk email. I've never received an email from anything to do with Facebook and the page can only have as much personal info on it as you put on it. MAFCA's facebook is just a place where Model A people can share pics of recent tour photos etc with other Model A lovers. If you don't like it, that's fine but its harmless.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
I've had Facebook for years. Completely safe. Not sure what your talking about as far as junk email. I've never received an email from anything to do with Facebook and the page can only have as much personal info on it as you put on it. MAFCA's facebook is just a place where Model A people can share pics of recent tour photos etc with other Model A lovers. If you don't like it, that's fine but its harmless.

True statement. I find it amusing how people just assume that everything they hear is true, especially the bad stuff. The only emails I get from Facebook are to let me know when someone has made a comment on one of my photos, or left a Happy Birthday message on my page, etc... And I could turn off those notifications if I wanted.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
grapp

Facebook is harmless... For MAFCA, it is all about free exposure. As an example, I have liked their "page" as they post I see there post or updates, therefore my friends can see their posts on my page, so they reached me, and by extension 300 of my friends. You almost can't buy that leverage in the advertizing world. For the health of MAFCA or MARC they need to be on facebook as it is here to stay and may be what brings another wave of people coming into the hobby! It's all good.
grapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapp View Post
...For the health of MAFCA or MARC they need to be on facebook as it is here to stay and may be what brings another wave of people coming into the hobby! It's all good.
Absolutely agree - if you want to engage with folks under the age of 35, having a presence on Facebook is pretty much a given. Who do you think will be taking care of your Model As in a couple of decades? It won't be today's 80 year olds...
Old 08-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
joe plumber

I have been on fb since the beginning .Not one problem .Met some of my Marine Corps buddies on it .It is what you make it .It's kind of like computers when they first came out ,most everyone was scared of them and didn't want anything to do with them. jmo
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
QGolden

No problems with Facebook. Some elements of it frustrate me a bit, but then again some elements of Windows do too. Not to mention some elements of Grocery Stores, Banks, and the DMV. If you want to attract a younger generation and interact with them, if MAFCA is going to evolve and perpetuate then Social Media is one of the tools that you do it with.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
BudP

I have been on Facebook for a year. Sold one of my extra cars on it last month. Just this week a guy I was in the Marines with in the 1960's connected with me through Facebook. We had not talked since 1971 and we communicating via email or phone almost every day now.
I have received no junk mail because of Facebook. Additionally, as mentioned above, the younger generation in my large, extended family is taking an interest in the cars on my Facebook page.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
Roadster62

Since you can't see what FaceBook is without joining could someone please explain what it it is?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Since you can't see what FaceBook is without joining could someone please explain what it it is?
If you are a member it is not unlike the Barn here, but allows the connection to multiple sites at once. On your page you would receive feeds and comments from multiple sources and individuals. All of which you can control. One nice thing about it, unlike a forum, if you don't like the material that someone continues to post, you can simply "unfriend" them and never hear from them again. You pick and choose who you want to hear from, As in all "free" services you have to put up with some "recommended" friends, or pages you "may like". But they are easy to ignore, especially on a computer screen. A bit more of a nuseince on a tablet.

You set up a page, control who sees it, pick whom you want to communicate with and what they can see on your page. As you post your photos and comments, your friends can see them, as they reply, you can see their photos and comments.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #21
amdriven2liv

Something else to think about.

When using the internet, use 2 different email accounts. I actually have a number of them.

I use one on Yahoo for all things I join or when I purchase things on-line.

Then I have my "Family and Friends" email account.

The yahoo one gets maybe 50-80 emails a day. Mostly junk.

1928 Model A "Special" Coupe.
amdriven2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #22
Roadster62

Are FaceBook members reading The Ford Barn? If so are they replying to the posts and I can't see them since I'm not a FaceBook member? Bob
Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #23
Mike in NRN IN

Quote:
Are FaceBook members reading The Ford Barn? If so are they replying to the posts and I can't see them since I'm not a FaceBook member? Bob
I use Fordbarn for text based discussions. It's a discussion board. Sharing pictures on fordbarn is not as easy as on Facebook.

Facebook is a tool for sharing short messages and pictures quickly.

They are similar, but not the same.

If I had to make an analogy - they are both wrenches - one is a 1/2 - 7/16 the other is 1/2 - 9/16. Same purpose, but different sizes.

I helped set up the MARC FB page and my daughter helped set up the MARC Youth Facebook page. It's just a way to keep connected for another demographic.

You have a choice in what you wish to use. Hopefully, you will dabble in either or all. It's all about sharing information and keeping the hobby alive.

Mike - l
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
amdriven2liv

Someone has a Model A facebook that has been posting a ton of photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-M...26179370778581

Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
Someone has a Model A facebook that has been posting a ton of photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-M...26179370778581

Great pics there - but I had to "UnLike" it from within FaceBook and instead go directly there via the URL - they post so many photos, my FaceBook feed was almost drowning in Model As (blocking out everyone and everything else); that would be a good thing if my interests ran in only one direction, I suppose...
Old 08-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
Pilotdave

Quote:
Roadster62 - yes - there are FaceBook members who are reading FordBarn. But they are on the FordBarn site when they're doing so. And when they are posting on FordBarn. Anyone posting on FordBarn is visible to all other FordBarn readers. If some FordBarn posters are also on Facebook, that has no affect on what happens on FordBarn. HTH.

Last edited by Pilotdave; 08-30-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
oliverguy

I like it. Check out the Lehigh Valley Model A club's facebook page.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
Roadster62

AGAIN........can I see whatever that is WITHOUT joining FACEBOOK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverguy View Post
I like it. Check out the Lehigh Valley Model A club's facebook page.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
Pilotdave

Just rewrote post #26 as it wasn't clearly answering Roadster62's questions. Hope the new version is more useful.

Roadster62 - I'm not sure you can view a Facebook page without first joining it. I just viewed it, but I am a Facebook member. Suggest that you do a search for "Lehigh Valley Model A Club Facebook Page" and see if you can view it as you are not a Facebook member.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #30
dlshady

Quote:
Roadster62, let's look at it this way. My Facebook page is like my personal diary, family photo album, journal and scrapbook all rolled into one big "book" (only it's a web page instead). On my Facebook I can post pictures of the office Christmas party, pictures of my 9 year old driving my Model A, really crude comments about my ex-wife, etc... I can place that book out on the sidewalk in front of my house so that anyone who walks past can flip through it and see whatever I've decided to include in my "book", or I can keep it on the coffee table in my living room so that only people who come to visit me can see what's inside. The difference is determined by how I choose to set my privacy settings on my account there. Just like on FordBarn where you have the option to prevent other members from emailing or messaging you, Facebook allows you the ability to set your account to private or public (there are a lot of other variables, but that's the gist of it).

In regards to your original question, I don't know if you can view the Lehigh Valley's page without being a member. It depends on how they've chosen to set their privacy settings. My suggestion would be to Google "Lehigh Valley Facebook page" and find out. I'm on my way out the door right now and don't have time to check, but if you haven't found out by this evening I'll check it for you.

Rest assured though, clicking on a link to someone's Facebook page isn't going to make your computer explode. I promise!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #31
SDJason

Quote:

I just tried it without being logged into FaceBook, and saw their page without problem (although there was a small annoying popup box that asks you to sign up for FaceBook, you don't have to to view it) - here's the link: Lehigh Valley Model A Club FaceBook Page

Once you're there, you'll be looking at their "timeline" - a reverse-chronological order listing of everything they've posted

You can click on the "Photos" link to see, well, photos, and the "About" link to get some general information about them.

Experimenting some more, the MAFCA FaceBook page seems to be viewable as well (without having a FaceBook account), and the other Model A FaceBook page that's full of photos too...
Old 08-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #32
QGolden

Quote:
No. You cannot.

If you have a Facebook account then your browser "knows" that (via cookie) and if you go to a Facebook page then it allows you to do some viewing depending on the security level chosen by the owner.

SDJason, as a Facebook member you could see pictures without "friending" the owner even not "logged in".

Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
SDJason

Roadster62 - I suggest you just try clicking on the links and see what happens...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #34
Roadster62

What prevents ever low life dirt ball on FaceBook from sending me unwanted crap?
Quote:
Roadster62 - I suggest you just try clicking on the links and see what happens...
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #35
SDJason

Quote:
What prevents ever low life dirt ball on FaceBook from sending me unwanted crap?

If you're not logged into FaceBook, they'll have no idea who you are, or how to reach you. Since you don't have a FaceBook account, and don't plan to set one up, you'll be safe from pretty much anything. The one limitation will be that you'll be able to look, but not post. - kinda like peeking in through someone else's window without them knowing about it.

For even more peace of mind, another thing to try (depending on which browser you're using, they might be called different things), is to set your browser to "Private" browsing - at least that's the term Firefox and Safari use - not sure offhand what Internet Explorer calls the equivalent. Actually, this last piece of advice is good to use for ANY website that you're unsure of.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #36
QGolden

Unless you "friend" them, no one can send you anything except a "friend request". Then you decide if you want to connect or not. If you do connect and change your mind, you can "unfriend " them in a single click. They do not even get a notice that you have unfriend them.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #37
ctvpa

Great Job, the site is very well done, and enjoyable. Hat's off to all of you who developed it.
I see many people are suspicious of Facebook, but you don't have to get any email, just enjoy communicating with other Model A lovers.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #38
dlshady

Quote:

Viewing a page on the Facebook website is no different than viewing a page on the FordBarn website, your local news station's website, amazon.com's website or any other website that you might visit. I have a hard time understand why some people have developed this unsubstantiated fear of Facebook. It's a website like any other one where people are allowed to join and communicate. In fact, people should be more worried about posting on places like FordBarn because anybody in the world can log on here and read what you wrote, whereas with Facebook you have full control of who is allowed to see your stuff.

Just out of curiosity, what has caused you to be so leery of one particular website?

Disclaimer: I'm not connected with Facebook in any way, shape or form. In fact, I hardly ever get on there other than to send birthday wishes or shoot a message to old friends from college. I just find it quite interesting that there are so many people who are scared to death of it.

Quote:
<snip>
For even more peace of mind, another thing to try (depending on which browser you're using, they might be called different things), is to set your browser to "Private" browsing - at least that's the term Firefox and Safari use - not sure offhand what Internet Explorer calls the equivalent. Actually, this last piece of advice is good to use for ANY website that you're unsure of.

Internet Explorer calls it "InPrivate Browsing", but it's only available in versions IE10 and above (I think). Google Chrome also has their own version but to be honest, I'm more wary of using Google products than anything from Facebook! No telling what kind of dirt Google has on me! I could never run for public office... LOL!

Last edited by dlshady; 08-30-2013 at 10:14 PM.
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #39
Roadster62

I still don't understand the big push to FaceBook everything. If I can click on the Lehigh Valley Model A website from here why would I want to go through a second step and click on FaceBook then the Lehigh Valley page? If I want a roll of Duct Tape and can get it at Home Depot I go there, I don't walk past the Duct Tape display in Home Depot throught the lot and into Lowes buy a roll of tape there then follow the same route back home.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #40
QGolden

Quote:
I still don't understand the big push to FaceBook everything. If I can click on the Lehigh Valley Model A website from here why would I want to go through a second step and click on FaceBook then the Lehigh Valley page? If I want a roll of Duct Tape and can get it at Home Depot I go there, I don't walk past the Duct Tape display in Home Depot throught the lot and into Lowes buy a roll of tape there then follow the same route back home.
That is a good analogy, but a little off the mark. It is not just about the Lehigh page. If it were (and it is in your world) then you are right.

You need to understand that Folks, Clubs, and Groups that use Facebook have access to a larger audience. Individuals have access to more information in one place. If i was a member of the Lehigh Model A Facebook page, I would see (all on one page! ) new input from Lehigh Club Folks at the same time that I look for updates from my Kids on the other coast, and at the same time see if my old Army Buddy's Wife got her last round of Chemotherapy yet in Germany. And my nephew on that Nuke Sub, has he reached Japan yet or is he still off the coast of Korea?
All this on one News Feed page.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #41
Roadster62

QGolden, WHY in the world would I want to look at the above page you just mentioned and real about uncle George having a bowel movenent or whatever? Sounds like way more info than the "adverage" person needs to know.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #42
amdriven2liv

Quote:
QGolden, WHY in the world would I want to look at the above page you just mentioned and real about uncle George having a bowel movenent or whatever? Sounds like way more info than the "adverage" person needs to know.
You only see what you want to see. Facebook is a great way to see what your family is doing. And, you don't see what all of their friends are doing.

We capture pictures and videos of the Grandson we watch 4 days a week. All of our family gets to see them instantly if they want. Mainly on their smart phones.

We get pictures of all the kids and grandkids all week long. And, a lot of them are moments that we would miss otherwise.

Then, each of us have our own "facebook pages" we "like". Our interests and hobbies. Yes, that Model A page I posted does put a lot of pictures up. But the fewer times you click on a page, the less facebook posts them to your page.

The one thing you need to know about facebook, DON'T collect friends for the sake of having more. Keep your facebook set to friends only.

Like the old saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words" And my wife and I must have a few million now!

And I know, that in the next few months, we will see a video, within minutes, of our Great Grandson take his first steps. He lives in Mexico. Whether I see it here at home on my laptop, or on my phone where ever I am.

Next up, "youtube" accounts! LOL

More Ford Barn folks could be doing things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwirH...=TLqWqWpijsRvg

Old 08-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #43
SDJason

Roadster62 - I'm not sure what sort of point you're trying to prove, other than that:
1) You vehemently dislike FaceBook
and
2) You have never been on FaceBook

It's a resource, like any other - it has pluses and minuses, also like any other resource. It's also the expected/preferred/given way to reach out to folks who are in their 30s and younger. If the Model A community doesn't want to see their cherished autos all turned into ratrods a few decades from now, guess what - that means engaging with younger folks who can become the next generation of Model A owners. One of those ways is to have a presence on FaceBook. Just because others are on there, YOU don't have to be, but likewise - don't start complaining when you notice that others ARE on FaceBook...

Last edited by SDJason; 08-31-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #44
QGolden

Quote:
Well, obviously then it is not for you, and you should probably not be involved with it. Lots of thing are not for me either, but I just avoid them.

For me it is important to know what SELECT friends and family are up to. When my old Army Buddy posts that "Guys, Amie is gonna' be OK", then all of us that know her, and what their struggles they have been through, are aware, at the same time, that better roads await her, that is important to me. A dozen of us can all chime in and send them a warm message, and be glad for them.

When My Kids can post a quick, "Hey Dad, how are you today?" it is important to me. I hear from them more often 'cause they are posting to their friends at the same time, and I am making an effort to spend a part of my time in their world. Doesn't seem to me like too much effort on my part for a good payback.

Iffn' my Nephew is in a War Zone, moving SEAL's around, or in Japan on R&R that is important to me. I get a little relief when I hear that he is OK, since he is also with someone else important to me who does things that cannot be spoken about. If I see my Nephew Post I know that others are still OK. They deploy on Subs and disappear for 4 to 6 months at a time.

One post from any them notifies all of their friends and family at the same time that they are OK, and that is important to me. 'Cause it is not all about me.

As for Uncle George, if he is posting things such as Bowel Movements, I don't want to hear from him either. But then again, he would not be one of my friends, and I would never hear about him, or his bowel movements.

Just 'cause it is new (in my lifetime) does not mean it is bad. It is progress.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #45
Roadster62

I still send emails to family and friends, see no reason to change that.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #46
CarlG

The FountainHead Museum (Fairbanks, Alaska) has a Facebook page. I was pleased to see a group of the Alaskan A's shown in a video that was taken there summer 2012. On Facebook, they were advertising the upcoming Summer Solstace car show this coming June. My rig is the '31 pickup (with green wheels) that follows the '29 Blue Tudor, followed by the '31 Yellow Cab. Most of these cars in the "parade" made the trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks (400 Miles) for this event. We are planning on doing it again summer 2014.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #47
bart78

A good thing about Facebook. Is if you don't like what your hearing from someone. You can defriend them. A lot of good info on there. And I can communicate with some guys in afganistan and a few other places real easy.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #48
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post

Welcome to the WORLD...This is reality and this is the future and MAFCA and MARC have joined it and it is a wonderful foundation to share ideas, photos, and make friends.. Don't criticize until you have tried it...Welcome to the further of Social media!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #49
OHV DeLuxe

Forums like this and Facebook are both great ways of getting new vehicle related friends and to keep in touch with friends all over the world. To me that is easier on Facebook in one way and that is mostly why i`m there. My car friends in the States, Sweden other places in Norway etc seems a bit more close through that medium, its easier to sell stuff there and also to brag about the latest find
But Fordbarn is much more pure car interest and a great source for technical discussion and very interesting learning.
Even though MAFCA and other interest groups have joined Facebook, i don`t think it will replace forums like this for quite some time.

Last edited by OHV DeLuxe; 11-12-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Can`t spell!
OHV DeLuxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #50
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV DeLuxe View Post
Forums like this and Facebook are both great ways of getting new vehicle related friends and to keep in touch with friends all over the world. To me that is easier on Facebook in one way and that is mostly why i`m there. My car friends in the States, Sweden other places in Norway etc seems a bit more close through that medium, its easier to sell stuff there and also to brag about the latest find
But Fordbarn is much more pure car interest and a great source for technical discussion and very interesting learning.
Even though MAFCA and other interest groups have joined Facebook, i don`t think it will replace forums like this for quite some time.
I agree.

And it does not have to be a "one or the other, take it or leave it" situation, either. Everyone can choose the form of communication that they prefer.

We are seeing a transition to more use of things like Facebook, especially in the younger generation (plus some us us older guys who like to embrace new stuff). There is no reason to be threatened by it. And, on the other hand, there is no reason to feel forced to join in if you don't want to.

It is similar to the transition from "land line" telephones at home to cell phones. Many people have both. Some people do not have a cell phone, they feel they don't need one. Many of the younger generation have only a cell phone and feel no need for a "land line" at home. All three groups of people can peacefully co-exist and communicate.

If we are going to attract and keep new, younger folks, we need to use the communications medium that they use. That does not mean we have to stop using the medium we have traditionally used. We can co-exist.

Last edited by Jim/TX/GA; 11-14-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #51
BILL WILLIAMSON

Opinion frum a Dog: Me & Ol' Bill do well without FACEBOOK! I kin see his FACE & he kin see my FACE. We're GOOD with that! Buster T.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #52
Elcastor

Bill,

You need to join Facebook, so I can see your face!

Just kidding!!
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #53
Ken Ehrenhofer

Talking Re: facebook

I am involved in the MARC Face Book frequently and have been very impressed with all of the friends we have made in South America and in Europe and I find they are just like us. Looking for parts and want to talk about the tours and picnics and fun things we all do all over the world. I now have new friends in Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Sweden and Norway.
I can assure you we have not had any problems with FB since our introduction and have enjoyed all the photos from all over the world. I think all of us should at least look into FB and see if it is for you......Actually it is for all of us World wide,
Ken
And I can click on translate to read the articles in a different language.
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #54
txturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
I agree.

And it does not have to be a "one or the other, take it or leave it" situation, either. Everyone can choose the form of communication that they prefer.

We are seeing a transition to more use of things like Facebook, especially in the younger generation (plus some us us older guys who like to embrace new stuff). There is no reason to be threatened by it. And, on the other hand, there is no reason to feel forced to join in if you don't want to.

It is similar to the transition from "land line" telephones at home to cell phones. Many people have both. Some people do not have a cell phone, they feel they don't need one. Many of the younger generation have only a cell phone and feel no need for a "land line" at home. All three groups of people can peacefully co-exist and communicate.

If we are going to attract and keep new, younger folks, we need to use the communications medium that they use. that does not mean we have to stop using the medium we have traditionally used. We can co-exist.
Hey Jim......who answers the email for the GHMARC? I sent an email on The 4th of this month and haven't received a response yet....
txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #55
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txturbo View Post
Hey Jim......who answers the email for the GHMARC? I sent an email on The 4th of this month and haven't received a response yet....
I know who used to do it. I will check with him and see what's up.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #56
txturbo

Thanks.....I was going to try and stop by the next meeting since it's not to far from me.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #57
Ted Duke

I know this has been beat to death, but my 2 cents worth. ONE comment only.

Whatever you think of FACEBOOK - keep in mind that the younger generationS (intentional capital S) are there and any Model A presence or any other antique car presence will only help keep the hobby alive. Might get a few kids away from their computers.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #58
txturbo

I agree....even if you only catch one kids attention it's worth it.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #59
binkbee

Facebook is absolutely the opposite of all the above suspicions! It is only what you want of it--just the people you care about and want to contact. I have kids hundreds of miles in most directions and it puts all "IN THE NEXT ROOM"! It has "PERSONAL" message values that allow only the one or groups of several, what-ever you arrange, to converse. I use it daily and have absolutely no complaints!
binkbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #60
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
I know this has been beat to death, but my 2 cents worth. ONE comment only.

Whatever you think of FACEBOOK - keep in mind that the younger generationS (intentional capital S) are there and any Model A presence or any other antique car presence will only help keep the hobby alive. Might get a few kids away from their computers.
Yup, well said, do not complain if the younger generation(s) do not take interest in what you are interested in if you make no effort to show any interest in them, and if you choose to shun their preferred method of communication.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #61
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Play with Facebook all you want.

But be aware that FB uses YOUR computer as part of a peer-to-peer network to promote THEIR content without your knowledge or permission. This opens your computer up to additional virus threats and will slow your computer down. You have to be fairly technically saavy to figure this out, but if you get onto an older, slower computer, and look at the command line ( the very bottom-most left corner of the screen) when FB is loading, you will see a call to a company called akamaihd (in Massachusetts) via this domain:
akamaihd.net
This is the company doing the peer-to-peer networking for FB. Peer-to-peer means trafficking content around across the internet from individual computer to individual computer, instead of paying for a main server somewhere to traffic content all over the place. Limewire would be another example of a peer-to-peer network but they tell you that up front
I personally think this is very sneaky business, and I for one do not want anyone using my computer but me.

If you doubt me, just get on via a family member's older slower computer and you will see it for yourself. A fast computer with a fast connection will load everything so quickly you cannot see this happening (which they are counting on).
One night a yr ago for some reason my connection slowed to a crawl and I spotted this call, and I wondered what the tom hill was going on. Once I figured it out (and confirmed it with a webmaster from another forum I am on), I dropped FB forever.

Let the user beware.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #62
dumb person

Good warning Tbird. Who uses facebook anyway? Not i. No use for it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #63
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
Play with Facebook all you want.

But be aware that FB uses YOUR computer as part of a peer-to-peer network to promote THEIR content without your knowledge or permission.
This is the future of networking. Soon any piece of computer equipment attached to the WWW will be doing the same. Your computers, phones, cars, even your refrigerator, will act like a hub. It is faster and cheaper way to connect.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #64
Mike in NRN IN

The beauty of any website - freedom to choose whether to use it or not. Informed decisions and risk assessments need to be done by each individual.

Personally, I find that there are distinct benefits to Facebook, Twitter, discussion forums (Fordbarn) and plain old paper documents (actual bound pages in a book.)

The internet (specifically Social Media) is now the new VOODOO!

Quote:
The religious belief that a photograph can steal a soul

The religious belief that a photograph can steal a soul, imprisoning it within its amalgam of polyester, celluloid, salts and gelatin (or perhaps a CCD if you are into digital photography) is still shared by many cultures across the globe. From Native Americans to the Aborigines of Australia, there are those who refuse to be photographed.
- http://parabolicevidence.com/occult/...-steal-a-soul/

I was curious about the akamaihd.net service and found the following.

So, What is akamaihd.net?

Akamai Technologies is actually a CDN, where CDN stands for Content Delivery Network. This answers almost everything if you know how CDN works. We’ll talk about CDN in this post, but first lets check out a fun fact about Akamai.

Akamai is pronounced as Acme. Does it sound familiar to you? Acme was a fictional corporation in Roadrunner Cartoons. It used to provide several products which would fail at the worst times.

What is a CDN ?

A CDN (content delivery network) will receive your data and place it on several different servers all over the world. This makes that particular content to load faster for anyone who wants to access it. This is because the content will be delivered to the end user from the nearest possible server holding the content.
Without CDN, the content will reside only on one server. And thus the users who are close to the server can access the content faster than the users who are away from it.

For example, If my content is located on a server in India. Then users in Asia will have better latency (less time delay) compared to users from America, Europe or Australia.
Why facebook photos are uploaded to Akamaihd.net ?

Akamai has several CDN networks, where akamaihd.net is one of the CDN. Facebook is a large network and it has to deliver data at faster speeds to each and every user. And to do so, it requires a CDN.

Facebook uses akamaihd.net as CDN. This is why your photos are uploaded to akamaihd and not to facebook. So whenever you request to view a photo on facebook, your request is actually sent to the nearest possible akamaihd server. This server returns the requested photo. And since its the nearest possible server, you will get the requested photo with a minimum time delay.
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #65
Jim/GA

You are correct, Mike. I do not fear akamai.

Akamai also offers a peer-to-peer file distribution service, the one tbird refers to. Facebook does NOT use it.

Many of your popular online games DO use it to speed up distribution of the game files out to the players. Before they use your computer to help distribute game files, you must click on a box to agree. But Facebook does not use this service.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #66
jcheshire31

"My kids are into it big time." -Karl

That is one of the main reasons they created a page on Facebook, so they can get word about our hobby to the kids.
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #67
Roadster62

Question for you Facebook junkies: The other day I recieved a "See my Photos" offer from some unknown email address and hit deleat instantly. Is that a normal intro to the site or are the Nigerians trying get into my computer and bank account?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #68
SDJason

Quote:
Question for you Facebook junkies: The other day I recieved a "See my Photos" offer from some unknown email address and hit deleat instantly. Is that a normal intro to the site or are the Nigerians trying get into my computer and bank account?
Sounds like another spam/scam attempt...
Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #69
QGolden

Quote:
Not sure I see the connection to Facebook?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #70
spdway1

I'd rather use Face Book than use a Credit Card at Target, they are now having problems with gift cards that were purchased and do not work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target.jpg (14.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg facebook-security.jpg (66.6 KB, 2 views)
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #71
ctvpa

[QUOTE=tbirdtbird;765513]Play with Facebook all you want.

But be aware that FB uses YOUR computer as part of a peer-to-peer network to promote THEIR content without your knowledge or permission. This opens your computer up to additional virus threats and will slow your computer down. You have to be fairly technically saavy to figure this out, but if you get onto an older, slower computer, and look at the command line ( the very bottom-most left corner of the screen) when FB is loading, you will see a call to a company called akamaihd (in Massachusetts) via this domain:"

I am MUCH LESS worried about Facebook, than I am the NSA and the government keeping a file of every email and phones call we all make.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/justic...ing/index.html