Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
jvinger

Default Headlight switch

Having problems with my lights. If you are looking at the steering wheel and move the switch to the far left,what is suppose to come on?Then for each position back to the right?Has anyone done away with the socket on the back of the head light and just wired them direct? Thanks in advance
jvinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Headlight switch

4 o'clock = high beam

5 o'clock = low beam

6 = off

7 = parking lts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Grampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinger View Post
Having problems with my lights. If you are looking at the steering wheel and move the switch to the far left,what is suppose to come on?Then for each position back to the right?Has anyone done away with the socket on the back of the head light and just wired them direct? Thanks in advance
Yes, the guy who had the car before me hard wired the lights. Sure they worked OK, but if you need to change anything what a pain in the patoot. I wanted to put brighter reflectors in the headlights and had to undo everything. He had soldered the connections and didn't leave enough slack in the line that you could reconnect if you wanted to.

I just ordered a new main harness, cowl harness, and the internal contact wires for the tail light, the cowl lights, and the headlights and changed everything back to the way Henry wanted it in the first place. I know he's resting much better now!

Actually, changing everthing out wasn't expensive, only took a couple of hours and was easy to do.

By the way, when the switch lever is pointing to 6:00 the lights are off. There is one position to the left; that's for the cowl lights if you have them. Back to 6:00 is off again. First position to the right is your "low beam" headlights, and second position further to the right is your "high beam" head lights. Hope this helps.
Steve
Grampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
pat in Santa Cruz

repro switches are notoriously bad. Originals work well and are available. Check with Berts. . Repro headlight wiring and sockets are even worse. If you have repro wiring, cut the tips off the harness, cut the tips off the headlight bucket wires. Pull the headlight wires up into the bucket. Thread the harness wires through the springs where the bucket wires went into the bucket. You might have to strip off the cloth "insulation", but do not strip off the inner plastic insulation.. Connect the wires with wire nuts. Green is High beam, Red is low beam, Yellow (or white on some harnesses, is the parking light. Re-place the plastic spacer on the wire so it fits against the springs to lock the ferrule in place when you install it.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
Barry B./ Ma.

I went through 3 repro switche before I got one that worked properly so no surprise.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I just helped install a repro switch and light contact plate. I used my knife to scrape the edges of the plastic dimples to round over the sharp edge. I then used grease on the plate to make the switch work easier. A stock repro switch feels like the knob is going to twist off before the switch moves to the next position.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote