Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #1
Tom in SW VA

Default Engine Rebuilder

I am looking for a #1 engine rebuilder for my flathead V-8. Money is not major concern. I am looking for a superior rebuilder who does superior work.
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
30-9

Default Re: Engine Rebuilder

Walt Dupont--Me. Search this site.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in SW VA View Post
I am looking for a #1 engine rebuilder for my flathead V-8. Money is not major concern. I am looking for a superior rebuilder who does superior work.
Hi Tom, curious only, which line/model of V-8 are you building?

Try to find a shop with a block-plate for final honing, this plays a large part in ring seal! And use only a piston with a metric ring pkge. You should see 150+ HP and 250+ Torque (Torque depending more on the stroke you choose)? HP will have a tendency to stay more of a "constant".

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. You mention the "money" issue, taking that fact into consideration I would make absolutely certain you get the 95% oil filter mod AND more important, I would want it dynoed BEFORE it gets installed, not simply run on a stand, but dynoed! It's a whole bunch easier to address ANY issues BEFORE you get it back! Just my take on these Flatties, different rules for other mfr's.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Tom, can you please tell us a little more about the vehicle your rebuild will go into? That way the members can focus their recommendations for your application. It may also help to know the time frame you're working with.

I'm into original vehicles so the builder I'd select would be dictated by the end product I'm looking for. See?

There are a quite a few pro engine builders who hang around here. Almost all of them don't really use the forum to solicit customers. But the word gets around about who's building what for other members.

Walt Dupont is one of them. He's a former race car driver. I've visited his shop in Maine courtesy of the 'Barners Fall Tour there. For probably fifty years, he's been building from mild to hopped-up Model A, to stock V8, to full race circle and drag engines (he owns a Flathead dragster that his son drives, I guess that makes him crew chief?). One of his personal cars has a quad-carb setup, and runs like it should (see below). At least one engine that he did decades ago, turned up in a car purchased in last few years by someone here. Identified by a tag that Walt had attached.

Charlie Schwindler is the guy who built the tranny, rear, dizzy, carb, and fuel pump on my '36 Phaeton. He does engines too I'm pretty sure from reading some of his posts. Any transaction with Charlie will be on the straight-and-level, and he's my go-to guy.

One of the legendary builders known nationally is H&H Flatheads, I have no personal knowledge of them, we're both on the wrong side of the country (assuming you're in SW VA). Ray Everngham, famous from NASCAR had the engine for his wife's car done by them. I'm pretty sure money wasn't a factor in that decision.

When my Dad wanted a spare, we had it sent to Mark Moriarty in upper New York, who's got experience with babbitted engines, even though ours had inserts.

Hope these thoughts help a little.

Here's our own JM 35 Sedan, admiring Walt's Coupe outside the A1 Diner. Yummy breakfast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0387.jpg (80.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0411.jpg (74.7 KB, 85 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Ritzy1

Here's another option that people seem to send engines to from all over: http://jandm-machine.com/index.html. I had them do the initial cleaning/crack repair on mine. I'll probably use them for the machining/rebuilding as well.
Ritzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #6
JRHASZARD

Walt DuPont rebuilt the engine for my 39 Pickup
JRHASZARD is offline   Reply With Quote