Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #1
flatmotor40

Default battery life

What is the battery life on a 12 Optima.Had mine in almost 7yrs.Just asking but do keep a tender on all the time
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
36rgtop

Default Re: battery life

There isn't any set time for battery life, my 12 volt battery that is on a battery tender and is not an Optima is approaching 8 years old.
36rgtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

I'm thinking I have heard and read numerous reports that all said keeping a battery tender on an Optima could/will shorten its life.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
HCO41

There's been several posts on battery choices and maintaining them lately. I needed a 6v battery and bought the Optima red top. After some of the posts, I wasn't sure how I would maintain full charge in it while in long storage. I have been using the Deltron battery tenders with good luck on my units using the lead acid batteries 6 and 12v. I decided to go onto the Deltron web site and found that they have a new maintainer that they claim will properly maintain the glass mat (Optima), gel and flooded lead acid batteries. The part number for the 6v is 022-0196. I'm going to try one and found the best price at StreetSide auto, $35 including shipping. I'll try it and report back in a few years.
Happy holidays,
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
richard crow

i had mine 15 years then sold the car is was still in it yes i used a battery tender
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

As long as its either trickle charge with active regulation or low enough charge to avoid gas that corrode the battery it should be safe.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
koates

Hi there, My 1988 Toyota Hi-Lux has a red top Optima in it that just turned 16 yrs old. Have a couple of other Optimas that are 10 yrs old. I don't normally leave any of my optima batteries on long term float or trickle charge. Only charge the optima in my old cars about once every couple of months for a day on an automatic charger just to top them up. They don't loose their charge like other batteries do when sitting around. Always have a battery cut off switch in all my old cars to prevent any drain and to make the car safe when not being used. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Hi there, My 1988 Toyota Hi-Lux has a red top Optima in it that just turned 16 yrs old. Have a couple of other Optimas that are 10 yrs old. I don't normally leave any of my optima batteries on long term float or trickle charge. Only charge the optima in my old cars about once every couple of months for a day on an automatic charger just to top them up. They don't loose their charge like other batteries do when sitting around. Always have a battery cut off switch in all my old cars to prevent any drain and to make the car safe when not being used. Regards, Kevin.
X2 on my experience as well. Have three Optima 6v Red tops for my '35's and one 12v Red Top in my modern PU truck. I do not use trickle/maintainer type chargers on any of these. I start and run my old vehicles ~ once/month during their most dorment winter time nap. I run the modern truck enough all year long that it keeps the 12v topped up very well. Anybody want to buy the 6/12v maintainers I now have no use for? If so, send me a pm.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-03-2016 at 01:26 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

I never charge my batterys other than driving the car, could sit for 6 months at times, the last battery I bought new (optima) lasted 16 years, regular batterys 7-9 years, now that I only get the batterys from the junk pile I expect 5-12 years from my selected and tested used batterys, I keep several batterys "in process", i will charge them then let them sit---it they hold a good charge for several months they are good batterys
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #10
flatmotor40

Tried to crank yesterday and volt went to 8 or so while cranking.Usually get my battery from the guy that sells optima at Moultrie swap but they never go out when I go there.Have 4 other cars with yellow top but this one I bought at Advance in 09.Just asking hate to have to jump start one now days.Thanks
Old 01-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmotor40 View Post
Tried to crank yesterday and volt went to 8 or so while cranking.Usually get my battery from the guy that sells optima at Moultrie swap but they never go out when I go there.Have 4 other cars with yellow top but this one I bought at Advance in 09.Just asking hate to have to jump start one now days.Thanks
Don't know if you have one or not but for peace of mind you may want to pick up one of the small lith-ion battery jumper packs and throw it under the seat. (some times it seems that just taking the extra precautions insures that you will probably never have the problem)
Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #12
Ken Bull

Had my Optima 6V battery since 2011. I have a battery cut out that assures no amp draw in storage. The night before a Car Show I do put a slow charge on it just in case. I like that the battery terminals show no sign of corrosion.
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 AM   #13
flatmotor40

Dead cell in red top ordered a yellow from the Battery Man in Marietta ga today can't wait till Moultrie to get one.He sales wades of batteries there