Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
gvgehrig

Default e track installation

Just bought a Wells Cargo 20 ft trailer with plywood beds, and I'm installing e track tie down strips. The steel framing underneath are on 24" centers. I am planning on putting pairs of 1/4" bolts through the floor using 1 1/2" x 1/8" steel bars running perpendicular to the etrack as additional support for the track. There are 11 screw holes between the centers (which I used self tapping screws). My question is how many of the additional pair of bolts is recommended for proper installation. I plan to use over the tire 2" tie straps with ratchets. Using wood screws would stop front to back movement, but I think it would be inadequate to keep attached to the floor. Thanks
gvgehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
1crosscut

Default Re: e track installation

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The wood screws will be okay for holding the track to the floor but that is all I would trust them to do. Instead of cutting individual pieces of flat stock to go in between the steel framing is there enough room to run a 20 piece of angle or square/rectangular steel tube underneath them. It would take longer bolts of course but you would have the strength of the angle/tubing and the cross members to hold your load in place. I would go with at a minimum 5/16" or better yet 3/8" hardened bolts.