Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
corvette8n

Default questions about my new to me 41 coupe.

While trailering the car home the passenger window kept moving down, I checked it yesterday and you can push the window down by hand and the inside crank just spins with very little resistance, am I missing a spring? or something.
How do I get off the inside window crank? The column lock is also very sticky, black goo oozing out onto chrome knob, what's the best way to clean and lube this. Thanks
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: questions about my new to me 41 coupe.

Squirt some "Lock-Ease" (local hardware store will have it) into the column lock. It's a combination of graphite and oil and should help free up the lock. Sounds like the window regulator may have some stripped gears. The only way to diagnose the problem is to remove the unit. It has to be removed to fix it anyway.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
40cpe

There is a coil spring on the regulator that winds up as the window goes down. It is possible that it is broken or disconnected. Maybe the spring washers on the track are missing. As said above, you have to get in the door to diagnose/repair the problem. It might be a combination of problems.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Mart

The window may have slipped off the regulator arm. There is a channel that the glass is fitted into, the regulator arm fits into a slot in the channel. The glass may have come out of the channel.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
woodiewagon46

The gears could also be stripped on the lift mechanism.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #6
corvette8n

Let me clarify, the window crank does move the window up and down, it is just very easy to move, if I push down on the window, the crank moves around in the circle. How do I get the crank off.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
40cpe

I don't have a '41, but most of those years are removed by pushing the escutcheon (trim ring) behind the handle back toward the door panel. This will expose a pin that is pushed through/out of the handle.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
TJ

Sounds like a broken spring. Push in towards the door the escutcheons on the door, window , and windwing handles(if your car has the crank out style windwings). That will expose the pins that hold the door and window handles onto the shafts. You can push the pins out with an ice pick or a nail. With the window in the down position remove the garnish molding. The windwing assembly will come out with it. Check for screws on the door panel at the bottom corners of the door and remove them. Next use a forked tool(preferably a tool to pry off the door panel clips) and remove the door panel. Remove the screws that hold the regulator to the door and lower the regulator assembly to remove it from the glass track. Now you can assess the problem. As I said I suspect it's a broken spring. If the teeth on the regulator look very worn I would suggest you purchase a good used or NOS regulator.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 AM   #9
Mart

The regulator spindle where the handle attaches has a drum shaped pressing around it. This contains a clockspring mechanism that counterbalances the weight of the glass. It also adds friction to the movement, to make sure the glass stays where you put it and stop someone lowering the glass by just pulling down on it.

It sounds to me like the problem lies in this area.

If a dickey side glass is all you can find wrong with it you are lucky. How is the car generally? Are you pleased with it?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote