Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Brian

Default detonation

I've calculated I'm running 9.7:1 compression approximately. 255cu in flattop pistons, 60cc chambers. 21 stud. running 95 octane [RON] champion D14 plugs [down two heat ranges from stock D16. Two [new English ]97's .043" main jets, power valves down two sizes from stock too, I think. Crab distributor, fully retarded, brake screwed a fair way down. Getting detonation. Any ideas from the gurus? Thank you, Brian
Old 01-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: detonation

Isky 88 camshaft. Basically, I've been running a 21 stud bored .060" with the exact same components for a number of years. Has been a great performing combo. So, have built a fresh engine with bigger bore and stroke. Now, bad detonation. Maybe richen up all circuits?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
supereal

Detonation arises from excessive advance. The vacuum brake snubs the edge of the point plate to reduce the advance provided by the flyweights under the plate. The flat springs under the plate determine how much and how fast the weights can move. Advance can be affected by the springs. Before you try to make changes, I would suggest the distributor be checked on a machine. The initial advance is fixed when the distributor is mounted to the timing gear cover without provision for adjustment, so all adjustment is done by the spring tension. In my stock car racing days we ran av gas and had to adjust this way.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Talkwrench

Brian try 98 for starters. Geez that's a lot of compression for a flathead �� back the timing off and yeah you might need 45's in there too, ahh you'll know what to do, just keep an eye on the plugs.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
flatjack9

What does the combustion chamber look like? I really think you're going to have to find a way to decrease the compression ratio or use high octane gas.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Check the plugs - though it is hard with today's gas to really understand what they're telling you. I'd richen it up a bit and see how it behaves. Question: WHEN do you see detonation? Partial throttle as you're putting load on it . . . full throttle . . . ??? If it is under partial throttle, then richen your main jets - if it is under full throttle, then change the power valve.

Keep in mind that the power-valve richness is BACKWARDS from the way you think it should work.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

Did you measure the piston-to-head clearance? This dimension is critical when running higher compression. The ideal situation is to get the piston as close to the head as possible without hitting the head (.040" is a safe figure). This way, as the piston nears top dead center, it "squishes" the fuel mixture into the spark plug area of the chamber, with the resulting turbulence thoroughly mixing the fuel and air. This gives better power and fuel mileage, while reducing detonation.
If for some reason you're running true flattop pistons instead of the factory dome ones, your "squish" clearance is probably way too much.
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #8
Brian

Yeah man, custom made Ross flattop pistons with .012" popup above deck with steel/asbestos gaskets [compressed thickness .055"] which gives the ideal squish with the Eddie Meyer heads set up for flattop pistons [true flathead] lol.
Reading original Ford literature, Ford went to domed pistons to 'improve' squish...Now I know these old flattop pistoned pump in head motors pretty well, and I certainly acknowledge they are 'rattlier' than the later dome top piston versions.
I'm thinking the additional [excessive?] compression I'm running accentuates this rattling.
I've eliminated most of the knocking by fully retarding the ignition, have now fitted fatter main jets. Yet to roadtest. But, I want to run a bit more advance, where it's at is underpowered; smooth but hasn't got that that instant response it should have.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:08 AM   #9
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yeah man, custom made Ross flattop pistons with .012" popup above deck with steel/asbestos gaskets [compressed thickness .055"] which gives the ideal squish with the Eddie Meyer heads set up for flattop pistons [true flathead] lol.
Reading original Ford literature, Ford went to domed pistons to 'improve' squish...Now I know these old flattop pistoned pump in head motors pretty well, and I certainly acknowledge they are 'rattlier' than the later dome top piston versions.
I'm thinking the additional [excessive?] compression I'm running accentuates this rattling.
I've eliminated most of the knocking by fully retarding the ignition, have now fitted fatter main jets. Yet to roadtest. But, I want to run a bit more advance, where it's at is underpowered; smooth but hasn't got that that instant response it should have.
Thanks for the additional data. Obviously you've already taken care of the obvious!
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #10
Talkwrench

Underpowered? Give it a chance to run in Brian ! : )
Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #11
jrvariel48

Do you have timing marks on the crank pulley? You can see where your timing is and check the advance with a good timing light for a starting point.
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
john in illinois

I have a 276 moderate compression engine, 2 new 97's. I experienced detonation at cruise with .043 jets.
I changed power jets and distributors and timing and this did not help. I put a A/F meter on it and it was lean at higher speeds.

I then read JWL's section on tuning 2 97 on a stock engine. He found .046 jets worked, and discussed the lean at high speeds with Strombergs. I tried this and no detonation and pretty good A/F with .046 jets. I still have to fine tune it after winter.

John

Last edited by john in illinois; 01-13-2018 at 08:08 AM.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #13
rotorwrench

To get more than 9.1:1 with the old style aftermarket or 81A heads, the engine usually has to have a stroked crank. Has this thing got more than 4-inch stroke? Those old 21 studs don't have much room in there for more than a 4-inch stroke. Kind of limited on bore too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #14
BUBBAS IGNITION

After testing hundreds of crabs on a test machine they have the best advance action Ford ever offered. They may get nasty and slow down a bit due to stiff grease etc but mostly will give ya 11 degrees at 2500 (24 engine) everytime.

With your combo of parts the compression is way too high and the air fuel is too lean.....

Put some fuel in that engine !!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #15
Brian

Thanks boys, have fitted 46 jets and advanced dizzy back up, much better- almost there. Will get a few miles on motor today [only done 120 so far], then get into final tweeking. Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
Pete F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Isky 88 camshaft. Basically, I've been running a 21 stud bored .060" with the exact same components for a number of years. Has been a great performing combo. So, have built a fresh engine with bigger bore and stroke. Now, bad detonation. Maybe richen up all circuits?

Brian
When you put the cam in did you degree it.
The reason I’m asking is when I built my engine and degreed the cam it was 15 degrees off and it was a Cloyes gear set.
If the cam is advanced that would cause the compression to go even higher .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pete F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #17
Brian

Pete F, yes, I degreed cam in
Old 01-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Hey Brian: Where did you see the detonation? On part throttle when you started to put some gradual load on it? Or, under full throttle? Have you checked the power valve numbers/settings as well?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #19
drolston

How did you even get to 9.7 compression in a 255 cube motor? Conventional wisdom is that compression higher than 8.5 is diminishing returns on power, and prone to detonation.

Champion D17 plugs have .5" thread reach. Your plug threads are probably protruding into the combustion chamber. The sharp edges can get too hot and contribute to pre-ignition.

Maybe try doubling the head gaskets to lower compression ration.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote