Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
lrjones

Default Changing From Multi Disc to V8 Clutch

I was helping a group replace an engine this morning on a 28 and after pulling the old engine found it had a multi disc clutch. None of the group had any experience with the multi disc clutch. What all has to be done to convert to a standard clutch which came with the new engine. Differences we have seen are front shaft on transmission is smaller diameter than the later Model A's, shaft that holds the pedals is larger diameter than on later models, bell housing appears to be different in that the hole on the rear is much bigger. Do all of those components have to be replaced? Have searched some on this site and saw mention that the starter was different. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
lrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Rancho Deluxe

Default Re: Changing From Multi Disc to V8 Clutch

Hi, You need just about everything, including the pedals, Transmission, bell housing, Adj.yoke, etc.. Its not a small job..
Rancho Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

on page 296 of the service bulletins there is a complete article about the changeover with a parts list
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
Synchro909

Why change it? The multi plate clutches work fine. You may be better off to repair it, if it needs repair and use it. Opinion seems to have turned against multiplate clutches and I suspect the reason is because of troubles experienced by owners who have allowed them to deteriorate to the stage where they do give trouble. Once repaired, they work VERY well. I'd think carefully before going to all of the work and trouble to change it.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #5
JohnLaVoy

You will need to change the transmission case too. The 28 case did not have the provision for the throw out bearing mechanism to be attached.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
Rancho Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Why change it? The multi plate clutches work fine. You may be better off to repair it, if it needs repair and use it. Opinion seems to have turned against multiplate clutches and I suspect the reason is because of troubles experienced by owners who have allowed them to deteriorate to the stage where they do give trouble. Once repaired, they work VERY well. I'd think carefully before going to all of the work and trouble to change it.
The main reason is the fly-wheel most of the time is shot..Cant find many good ones anymore & when you do big $$.. Throw out Brg. can be also hard to find.
Rancho Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
lrjones

Sure appreciate all the comments. He wants to change it because the rebuilt engine he bought came with the new flywheel and V8 clutch. It never dawned on him that the transmission and bell housing wouldn't be compatible with the new clutch set up. None of the 8 or 9 people there had ever had any experience with a multi disc clutch. I think a club member has a spare transmission, bell housing, and pedals. Any more hints or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
lrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Tom Endy

The transmission does not have to be replaced, but it has to be modified. The input shaft has to be replaced with the later version. You will need a front bearing retainer and you will have to drill and tap the front of the housing to accept the four mounting bolts. You will also need the sliding hub to mount the throw-out bearing on.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
700rpm

Just put a later A clutch in. (Note my signature line).

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote