Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
rickmass

Default ignition swithes

Ok guy,s got a guestion I have 1934 ford truck with a 59ab motor 12 volts how many wires go on a universal ignition switch from mac,s auto parts,As you drive along the truck shut down if you wait a n turn the ignition off then turn it back on it would start Ithink the guy who work on my truck put to many wires on the ignition swith.Thank,s Rickmass
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: ignition swithes

That somewhat depends on how you want it wired. I like to use a later Ford wiring diagram as a guide. I use a combination of the F1 and F100 diagrams because the F1 is a 6v positive ground and similar to earlier models with most of the upgrade I want. The F100 is a 12v negative ground. I attached a few diagrams, see if any of that helps. You can have as few as 3 or 4 wires. The BAT terminal is power in, ACC is power to accessories when the ignition system is turned off, IGN/RUN is the on/off for the ignition, that is the three with a push-button start. If you are using a spring loaded start at the key, then the forth wire is the start wire to the solenoid.

What you describe sounds to me like a circuit breaker (CB) that is overloading and then cooling down, a fuse would blow and that would be it. Guessing that there is too much load (to many circuits) on the CB. It may be connected to the original CB. Or, something in one of the circuits is causing an excess current draw. If it was me, I would install a small fuses panel with enough fuses to separate out a couple of the circuits onto individuals fuses. You need two parts to the fuse panel, a section for the ACC side of the ignition switch and for a Run side of the ignition switch. You should end up with three types of circuits, items you want on all the time (stop lights, interior lights, etc.), items you only want on in the RUN/IGN position and items you want on in ACC position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956_Ford_Truck_Wiring_Diagram.jpg (86.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring%20Diagram%2051-52%20Truck.jpg (115.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1948-49truck.jpg (95.3 KB, 17 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
rickmass

thanks for the reply you are right on about over lode,Rick
Old 10-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
rotorwrench

The switch should only control the seperate run buss & accessory buss. Too many wires connected to the switch is not a good idea. When folks rewire things, they might as well design for separate circuits with fuses or circuit breakers for each system.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
rickmass

So where do I start you guy,s are right on should get a fuse panel an start from there,