Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
41woodie

Default More help needed with 41 woodie door latch

So I bit the bullet and disassembled my rear passenger door latch trying to determine what was broken. It appears that the springs are intact but had managed to flip around past their correct resting spot so that they no longer produced resistance.
I put everything back into place and all is well except the locking lever has no resistance and will drop into the unlocked position when the handle is jiggled etc. The result is that I can lock the door from the inside but it will not stay locked. In desperation I disassembled the opposite latch and find that I'm missing a small piece that creates tension keeping the lock lever in the proper place.
I'm posting a series of photos that show the pieces being removed in order. The first photo shows a riveted washer and stud that everything is pivoted from. In the subsequent photos I removed each piece down to the spacer on the bottom. Resting on the spacer is what looks like but is not a wavy washer. It has three "detents" on it and they provide the tension necessary to hold the lock lever in it's proper place.
That piece is missing entirely from the faulty latch and searches on the usual websites, Drake, Carpenter, etc. have nothing similar.
Anyone have suggestions as to a source or might possibly have a junk right or left rear passenger door latch that may have the needed part? I am unsure what other years may utilize the same piece but if anyone knows of other years I would appreciate that info as it might make the search a bit easier instead of needing a piece that is specific to a 41
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0699.jpg (38.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0700.jpg (41.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0701.jpg (42.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0702.jpg (41.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0703.JPG (101.0 KB, 11 views)
41woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
woodiewagon46

Default Re: More help needed with 41 woodie door latch

By looking at your first picture it looks like you didn't put tension on the spring behind the striker. Can you post another picture of the back side of the striker?
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
woodiewagon46

If you go to E-Bay Motors, log onto Woodie Station Wagons and there is a latch for sale. You can see how your springs should look.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
41woodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
By looking at your first picture it looks like you didn't put tension on the spring behind the striker. Can you post another picture of the back side of the striker?
You are correct, there was no tension at the time I had simply laid the pieces together for the photo. I reassembled the good latch this afternoon with all of the springs in the proper place and it still works just fine. Now to find the little dohickey to fix the other latch
41woodie is offline   Reply With Quote