Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Jwawhite

Default B Pillar Two Door Wagon Shake

Hey wagon owners! Have you noticed any Shake at the B pillar when closing the door? Could this be metal fatigue or a result of the sliding window and or the heavy roof?
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
56 ranch

Default Re: B Pillar Two Door Wagon Shake

I have not noticed any shake in my '56 ranch wagon.
56 ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:48 AM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Open the door, grab the pillar and try to jiggle it back and forth. It should not move at all. The connection there at the top is a series of resistance welds. It should be very solid at the top.
The bottom could be a different story. These cars were built with a 16 gage formed channel turned with the legs of the channel downward. The factory outer rocker panel was actually placed over the top of that channel (serving as the structure for the door sill plate). In other words, there are two layers of metal along the door sill. The 18ga channel which is completely hidden underneath the 16 ga outer rocker panel. But I've seen a lot of these rusted through so bad that the channel no longer has structural integrity and if they are bad, you can bet that what is left of the inner and outer rockers is ten times weaker. There could actually be a disconnect between the rear quarter at the bottom of the door jamb (where it curves) and the structural channel that that corner was factory welded to.
It seems like if there is any shaking it would be more noticeable if the connection was broken or rusted away at the top. If the bottom connection is questionable, the whole door would be shaking along with it. It does not seem likely that the top connection would be bad though.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
Jwawhite

Dave I've been looking closely at the B pillar drivers side. In the past, when I removed the interior rear window frame and panels for new rear window weatherstripping, I took a close look at the inside of the exterior sheet metal, and quarter panels. I noticed repairs at both lowers behind the rear wheel sheetmetal, the rest appeared original. I painted the lower insides with Rustolem and did not see any sheet metal issues at the lower B panel. But, I've found this and cannot explain why, I think the Factory did not splice at this location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0470.jpg (46.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
frank long island

that is a crack from the body flexing and would explain your shake the factory would'nt splice under the moulding that panel would have been stamped as one with jamb and welded to inner panel if you look along the interior edge you will see dimples from the welder you will have to pull the interior to see that the crack runs through the window opening you should be able to see that connection point also you may want to ck your body mounts in that area also i would ck the floor where the mount is also
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

On my '55 Courier, the entire rear fender from top of rocker panel up to the roof rain gutter and from doorjamb back to the taillight is a one-piece stamped sheet. There are no seams there for a 2-door car. I suspect your wagon may have been in a side collision and the body shop cut out the damage and replaced it with a factory replacement panel decades ago when they were available.
I suggest removing the doorsill step plate and peeling back the floorcovering where the B-pillar meets the doorsill. Inspect all around and underneath to see if you can detect movement around there.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: B Pillar Two Door Wagon Shake

The stress crack shown on your photo is at the joining of the latch pillar and upper pillar.

See Ill-

Most likely as mentioned, it is a bad body mount or bad earlier collision repair.

How well does the door hang and latch?

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #8
Jwawhite

K, where do you get this info?? I have a shop manual that has limited information on the wagon! So I am thinking the crack ends at the bottom of the upper pillar, lower area of quarter windows...
what led to looking this area over was when I noticed the upper pillar window quarter area shaking when the door was closed. I've been saving major door adj for last, the upper frame of door is off the body, wind and water come in at top. I've adj the latch inwards, door flush with body, and haven't touched the hinges to move door inwards at top. Door closes fine but when the road surface is uneven, I think the door rattles against the body.
Just an abundance of knowledge from this site and members.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:47 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Well, the correct FORD Shop Manual is essential but additional info is found in the MPC and assembly manuals. Being an old fart being around cars for fifty years helps also...

It sounds like you have a major door opening failure. Check the body mounts under the door opening first. If the insulators go bad, the body will flex on the frame resulting in what you have.

EDIT - ADDITIONAL INFO

Here are two photos of body off frame to give you idea of body mount positions-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955-56 FORD Sedan Frame _1.jpg (64.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 1955-56 FORD Sedan Frame _2.jpg (58.5 KB, 30 views)

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-15-2018 at 06:47 AM. Reason: CRS
Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
Oldmics
BANNED

KT

That pictured frame has a 9" third member in it.

So that may be a 57 frame ?

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #11
KULTULZ

No, it was upgraded at some point.

SOURCE HERE- http://www.hotrod.com/articles/repro...-ford-part-2/#

FATMAN FABRICATIONS -http://www.fatmanfab.com/ - came out with a custom made frame 55/56.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Question Re: B Pillar Two Door Wagon Shake

BTW oldmics-

Did you catch this post - http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic134571.aspx - concerning 56 frame weakness?

ALSO- 56 Replacement Floor Pans and Heat Shields

- http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic128963-1.aspx -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-15-2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 02-16-2018, 12:46 AM   #13
Daves55Sedan

I still say, this is a result of collision damage which was subsequently repaired by a fly-by-nite body shop.
Notice the body parts illustration above showing part #'s 28212, 28300 & 28216. These parts are welded together, placed behind the door jamb where the latch is. They were factory resistance welded to the door jamb, floor and roof.
My guess is, when the body shop cut off the damaged fender, they probably cut off part of these structural braces or damaged them so they could not be welded back on to the replacement lower door jamb. Without the joining of the structure to the doorjamb, the assembly is greatly weakened. AND, if the door is not adjusted perfectly, it makes the problem that much worse.
JWA, I suggest taking apart the interior at that location and inspect for missing weld connections there.
Also, if the door does need adjustment, don't get it too tight to the body at the front as this will increase the stress at both the hinges and the latch mechanism. Just because the door leaks water doesn't mean the door is not adjusted right. Get better door gaskets (not the set you can get from Dennis Carpenter, etc).
Old 02-16-2018, 01:14 AM   #14
Jwawhite

What is 28300? I do not know where this part is mounted, is it welded behind 28216? For support? The crack is at the butt of 28212 and 28216, I'll need to look behind the panels to determine what's going on. Next month the seats come out and the panels in front, of rear wheel, for some heat and sound deadener. Will take a closer look then with comparison photos of L and R interior sides, then out for mig welding and bracing? Thanks Dave, will leave the door as is until repairs.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
Daves55Sedan

Scroll up and look at the Body Parts sheet metal illustration that KULTULZ posted. You will see that each piece has a part # assigned to it.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #16
Jwawhite

Dave I'm not clear, 28300 is just floating in space, does the piece go behind 28216? When the interior is out I'll look at it more closely.
Installing the Ram Grommets I took a Torque wrench to the body bolt and nut just behind front wheel, wasn't close to 21 lbs, book is 15 to 30... new body grommets are there.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #17
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: B Pillar Two Door Wagon Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post

Dave I'm not clear, 28300 is just floating in space, does the piece go behind 28216? When the interior is out I'll look at it more closely.
This is a PARTS EXPLOSION ILLUSTRATION.

The ILL is showing SERVICE REPLACEMENT PARTS. Parts 28212 - 28300 - 28216 are welded together to form a complete B-PILLAR (or latch pillar), or the parts shown are used separately (with present undamaged parts) to effect a correct repair.