Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #21
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Rear shock mount for a banjo rear

I would suggest 20 degs max for ride control. a grater angle reduces the effectiveness of the shock.
G
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #22
blucar

I had absolutely no problems adapting the 47-48 Columbia rear end with '47-48 shocks to the '36 banjo center section/torque tube, under my '36 coupe. I did use a '47-48 rear spring to allow for the added axle width, which is under 2"s wider than the '36.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford Rear suspen.1.jpg (69.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-22-2022, 08:39 AM   #23
GRAZIOLI

Does anyone have diagrams or part numbers for 1934 pickup original shocks? I have the apple hydraulics link to buy the original shocks but not sure how the rear shocks are connected to the dogbone.
GRAZIOLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #24
Turdytoo

Those '48 lower mounts won't work with 35/36 wishbones like they do other years. I bought a set of the new repose and will take a hundred plus the ride for them.

Last edited by Turdytoo; 02-22-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Turdytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:35 PM   #25
theHIGHLANDER

There's 1 issue adding them to 37-40 style cars. The upper crossmember where mounting stud goes, it's not plumb. It tips back following the kick up in the frame. This effectively swings the bottom of the shock forward, so much so that it won't bolt up. My fix was to take away some of the lip on the crossmember, then I took a big ass 'C' clamp and pulled the face vertical. The shocks went in at about 30 degrees. I had to make room for tailpipes that I wanted where I wanted them. FWIW I really like the @purehotrods parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 099.jpg (37.7 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg 101.jpg (52.6 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg 097.jpg (21.2 KB, 57 views)
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #26
36coupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post
There's 1 issue adding them to 37-40 style cars. The upper crossmember where mounting stud goes, it's not plumb. It tips back following the kick up in the frame. This effectively swings the bottom of the shock forward, so much so that it won't bolt up. My fix was to take away some of the lip on the crossmember, then I took a big ass 'C' clamp and pulled the face vertical. The shocks went in at about 30 degrees. I had to make room for tailpipes that I wanted where I wanted them. FWIW I really like the @purehotrods parts.
I have already run my tailpipes right where the top of the shock mounts.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:13 PM   #27
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post
Old 02-22-2022, 10:43 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36coupe View Post

That means only ONE thing...........time for PLAN "B"! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:15 AM   #29
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
That means only ONE thing...........time for PLAN "B"! DD

I guess the factory brackets will work. Laying the shocks down on such a sharp angle looks strange.

Okay plan B-1 I have a set of 35 lever shocks, 36 frame and 37 rear. The frame holes are not the right size and spacing and I think the shocks lever arms hit the rear tires (215/85/16) I will have to look at this again to confirm.

Plan B-2 weld lower shock mounts to the banjo.

I probably missing something.

Last edited by 36coupe; 02-23-2022 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #30
solidaxle

Couldn't you buy the longer ones from PrueHotRods and heat them up and bend in towards the center of the car. This would cut down on the radical angle of the shock.You could also bend them to compensate for the the non-plumb cross member stud.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #31
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
Couldn't you buy the longer ones from PrueHotRods and heat them up and bend in towards the center of the car. This would cut down on the radical angle of the shock.You could also bend them to compensate for the the non-plumb cross member stud.

I don't know firsthand whether or not the "PureHotRods" brackets are FORGED or CAST, but if they are CAST, ya can't 'heat & bend' them. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #32
mtruck

I'm parting out a 47 panel delivery. I'll check when I get to the lot tonight and see what is there if still interested.
mtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:33 AM   #33
19Fordy

V8 is correct. The "angle of the dangle" makes a big difference as to shock effectiveness.

Here's some great info.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...unting.976964/
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:46 AM   #34
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
That idea has merit, I think. Just have to make sure bottom of shock/bracket isn't below scrub line. Or could you weld a bracket extension 90 degrees to the piece shown so that the bottom shock mount hole is moved inboard thereby making the shock angle less severe? Might look a little goofy.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #35
Bored&Stroked

Question for Barners: I've never worked on a 46-48 Ford, did they all come with a panhard bar (front and rear)?

The reason I ask is that I would think it would be really important to have a panhard bar if you're going to put tube shocks on a transverse leaf setup. Otherwise, when you hit a bump on one side and you're trying to compress the shock, the frame would want to move sideways on the shackles (especially if you had a shock angle like the picture up above).

If this is true, then when putting tube type shocks on a chassis that did not originally have them, a panhard bar would seem like a smart thing to have?

I'm just pondering out loud here . . . what do you chassis guys think?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #36
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Question for Barners: I've never worked on a 46-48 Ford, did they all come with a panhard bar (front and rear)?

The reason I ask is that I would think it would be really important to have a panhard bar if you're going to put tube shocks on a transverse leaf setup. Otherwise, when you hit a bump on one side and you're trying to compress the shock, the frame would want to move sideways on the shackles (especially if you had a shock angle like the picture up above).

If this is true, then when putting tube type shocks on a chassis that did not originally have them, a panhard bar would seem like a smart thing to have?

I'm just pondering out loud here . . . what do you chassis guys think?
I’m hardly a chassis guy maybe a guy with a chassis but I think it would be amplified if you had long shackles and a sharp angle on the shocks.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:24 PM   #37
Tim Brown

I was able to install the Pure Hotrods lower mounts on my 33 Roadster after heating and bending into shape. It wasnt that difficult with the car on a lift, no gas tank installed, rosette torch and a large wrench. Well mabe it was a bit of a process. Stay away from fuel tanks with welders. They have been working fine for over 12k miles now...
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:48 PM   #38
Bored&Stroked

One thing to note is that if you're running a 32-34 rear end in a 32 - 34, I don't believe the PureHotrods lower mounts will work - due to the rotated angle of the bolt holes. I have a set of theirs and was going to use them on a 32 (with early rear) - no way in heck they would work. Also, I believe they are cast, not forged.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote