Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
jimsandybn

Default 292 Flexplate Replacement Alternative

Hi - I'm new to the site, and i am trying to find out if anyone has run into the 148 tooth flexplate issue. Mine broke and I cannot find a direct replacement...there is just none out there. I have a 292 with the Ford-o-matic transmission. Is there another flexplate that would work? I don't really know how to proceed...thanks
jimsandybn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 292 Flexplate Replacement Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsandybn View Post
Is there another flexplate that would work? I don't really know how to proceed...thanks
Pre 1957 Ford-O-Matic flexplates are different from '57 and later models.
The '54 thru '56 flexplates for the 239, 272 and 292 engines consist of a heavy 1/4 inch thick plate with spring steel dogs riveted to the heavy steel plate. There are two dogs each with three mounting holes for bolting the air-cooled converter housing to the flexplate. Often, those rivets become loose and cause a lot of noise to occur when the converter is rotating. The rivets can be repaired by heating up and pulverizing them in place to make them tight again. To my knowledge there is no replacement available for this type of flexplate.
For the '57 and later models, Fomoco used a single stamped metal plate, about 1/16 inch thick with tabs that had mounting holes for attaching to the water-cooled converter. I never heard of any of this type being broken or damaged in any way, but you can buy an exact duplicate of original for these at many of the Ford resto parts suppliers such as Mac's (Ecklers), or Concours Parts. Probably many other places too.
The flexplates for cars with a I-block 6-cyl were a whole different story and had various shapes and designs depending upon year of manufacture, but I believe all are interchangeable between the 1952 215 cu in I-Block 6 and the 1959 223 I-block 6 and maybe even later years.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Question Re: 292 Flexplate Replacement Alternative

Quote:

hi - i'm new to the site, and i am trying to find out if anyone has run into the 148 tooth flexplate issue. Mine broke and i cannot find a direct replacement...there is just none out there. I have a 292 with the ford-o-matic transmission. Is there another flexplate that would work? I don't really know how to proceed...thanks
Car - Truck - Year?

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
jimsandybn

Sorry, forgot to post...it's a 1959 Edsel Ranger that I have had for a couple years and just got to working on. I have no idea what work has been done in the last 60 years, there is a lot of things cobbled together. the transmission has "1960 ford" scrawled on it....but I don't know if the flexplate was changed when that was changed or even if they match...I can't find anything that says what the original would have been....
Old 03-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
dmsfrr

On my FordOmatic the flexplate bolts to the torque converter,
which has the teeth for the starter on it.

example photo: slightly rusty '57+ style flexplate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flex plate 2.jpg (85.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-07-2019 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: 292 Flexplate Replacement Alternative

Quote:

Sorry, forgot to post...it's a 1959 Edsel Ranger that I have had for a couple years and just got to working on. I have no idea what work has been done in the last 60 years, there is a lot of things cobbled together.

the transmission has "1960 ford" scrawled on it....but I don't know if the flexplate was changed when that was changed or even if they match...I can't find anything that says what the original would have been....
If the RG is part of the flex-plate, it is 1958 up.

Now there are two trans used (F/M, F/M/2, well, three actually (C/M). Does you trans have an iron case or aluminum case? The iron main case will be the F/M.

1958/62 292 F/M - B8A 6375-D

148T RG - 15.004" OD - (6) .458/.456 (2) .1"
(4) .433/.448 DIA HOLES

Match these up with yours and look for any ID STAMPING NOS on the plate. The C/M (1958/ ) takes the same plate but the F/M2 takes a different plate.

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
Old 03-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
jimsandybn

The ring gear is part of the flexplate...welded in place. It's is the 15" with the 148T. As for the holes, they are oblong, I assume it was before I got it... I had tightened the bolts from the FP to the torque conveyer to try and stop the "clanking". It tamed it down it never went away.
The bell housing and case are aluminum. The transmission does not have a ID label, the case has Fomoco C1AP-7006-R stamped on it...
Old 03-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
rotorwrench

If it's from 1960 it could be the 2-speed FOM or the 3-speed Cruise-O-Matic. 1959 was the last year for the early iron case FOMs and most were on 223 engines. 1958 was the intro year for the COM. Does this Edsel have Teletouch shift in the hub of the steering wheel? I think the Rangers were available either way. C1 indicates 1961 intro for that part number. If it has an aluminum bell with a cast iron case then it's a COM. If it is all aluminum then its the 2-speed FOM.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-07-2019 at 07:52 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Question Re: 292 Flexplate Replacement Alternative

Quote:

The bell housing and case are aluminum. The transmission does not have a ID label, the case has Fomoco C1AP-7006-R stamped on it...
Is the bell and main case separate pieces or one piece (both having a separate tail-shaft extension housing)? If the bell and main case is one piece ALUM, it is a F/M/2.

1960/ used an attached I.D. TAG for identification.

C1AP CASTING ID identifies it as 1961/ . 7006 is the CASTING ID for a trans main case
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FOM-COM Identification _4.jpg (19.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 03-07-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
Fortunateson

I have a '56 Meteor with th eoriginal tranny. However I bought a spare flex plate at a swap years ago ($5.00) Not sure for which year. It has a tiny crack in it. Can this be welded or did I lose $5.00?
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:55 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post

I bought a spare flex plate at a swap years ago ($5.00) Not sure for which year. It has a tiny crack in it. Can this be welded or did I lose $5.00?

It has to be discarded.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #12
darrell

this is a 59 2 speed which takes a flywheel with ring gear.there is 3 holes and takes bolts and nuts to attach just like a chevy.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #13
jimsandybn

Okay - so now that I am finding out that this thing is more Frankenstein'd than I thought, here is what I came up with and would like some feedback as to whether or not it would work...
- I bought an aftermarket starter a couple years ago (Wilson 91-02-5788); I need to check with them to find out the pitch of the gear on it.
- Once I get the pitch of the gear on the starter, find a compatible flexplate with a ring gear that is more readily available that would match the pitch of the starter.

As long as the overall diameter of 15" is maintained, it should do the trick, right?

Has anyone heard of an issue like this or have a different solution?
Thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 03-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #14
darrell

this flywheel was used from 59 to 62 and shouldnt be hard to find.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #15
jimsandybn

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
this flywheel was used from 59 to 62 and shouldnt be hard to find.
I've looked all over and the only 148T that I found was $200 and VERY used and a reference to it that called the 148 very rare... that's why I'm looking for an alternative.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #16
rotorwrench

You will have to know what transmission you have. I'm certain that the proper flex plate can be sourced for the transmission you have to fit the 292 Y-block. When you ID that, you can get the proper starter set up to work with it. Going by diameter and number of teeth doesn't tell folks much at the parts counter. You need a part number for the one you seek.

The Cruise-O-Matic was available in short case (FX) versions and longer case versions (MX) for the Ford cars. The 2-speed aluminum case Ford-O-Matic was only available in one flavor. My parts books only go to 1959 so I can't help much for the 1961 or later model year on that case number.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #17
KULTULZ

Quote:

Okay - so now that I am finding out that this thing is more Frankenstein'd than I thought, here is what I came up with and would like some feedback as to whether or not it would work...
-
As long as the overall diameter of 15" is maintained, it should do the trick, right?

Has anyone heard of an issue like this or have a different solution?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

I will try this one more time ...

Your predicament is very common.

There were two flex-plates used during this period and both were 148T with an approx 15" DIA. One was for the 292 F/M (1958/9 ) and later 292 C/M (1958/62). The other was for the 292 F/M/2 (1959/1962)..

You have to be able to tell if the trans is a two-piece (bell and case one piece) or a three piece (bell and separate main case).

If it is a F/M or C/M, it is going to be very difficult to find. The 2/S is still easily available.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
jimsandybn

Here is a pic of it - Looks like its a three piece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edsel Tran.jpg (21.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by jimsandybn; 03-08-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: picture didn't upload
Old 03-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #19
darrell

your right about them being hard to find.i searched all over the net this morning and not a thing.can you put a picture on so people will know what your looking for.someone may have seen one and didnt know what it was.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #20
jimsandybn

This is the 15" 148 tooth flexplate - as you can see, it has seen better days...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edsel Flexplate.jpg (35.7 KB, 44 views)