Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default Uncured Bondo ?

Well, I thought there was enough hardener! Trouble is it ain't getting harder! This a thin coat, in fact it was to be the last coat. What's the answer? Take the glop all of and start again? Or is there a fix?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
jkeesey

Default Re: Uncured Bondo ?

Try to get it off with a putty knife without causing to many deep scratches. The plastic applicator may work well for doing that.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Remove it and start over. Use enamel reducer or wax & grease remover to wipe off the remaining excess until you are back to bare metal. Then mix a new batch and start over. It happens to the best of folks trying to out-guess the humidity & working temps.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Logan

Scrape it off with a putty knife, sand it with 80 or 180 to remove the excess and rescratch the metal. Kind of my observation, it takes about a 1/2 inch of hardner per golf ball size round spot of bondo. Idk what bondo you're using, but I use rage, which turns a Robbin egg blue when it's mixed right
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Scrape it off with a putty knife, sand it with 80 or 180 to remove the excess and rescratch the metal. Kind of my observation, it takes about a 1/2 inch of hardner per golf ball size round spot of bondo. Idk what bondo you're using, but I use rage, which turns a Robbin egg blue when it's mixed right
But, Logan, when I almost got hit in the head by a richocheying golf ball, it looked THIS l-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lBIG!!! Buster T.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
V4F

i agree . take it off & redo ............ bummer

i had enamel paint on my first "A" , that after 2 yrs it never set up ! that was fun to ge off .....
Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Dog here, agin,
Ol'Bill laffs??? about waitin' 3 days for Bondo stuff to git hard when he straightened Cindy's VW Bug, after she dodged a CAT & dumped it on it's side! (Bill just ignores me when I ask, "What's a VW-BUG"?) Cat was O.K. Maybe thet's why Ol' Bill don't COTTON ON to cats much??? Buster T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CINDY'S BUG.jpg (12.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
wrndln

I bet that almost everyone that has applied much plastic filler has had the problem you have. It happen to me once and once I tried to warm the filler up a little in the oven on low heat and when I applied the hardener, it almost instantly turned hard and unspreadable. You live and learn (usually the hard way).
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Probably the only folks that never messed up with BONDO, are the ones that don't even know what it smells like!
I worked part time in a body shop when Bondo first arrived! Folks would come in and ask, "WHAT'S THAT GOD AWFUL SMELL"?? After my first day of dabblin' with the MIRACLE filler, came home & Pat asked, "You been DRINKIN"????? (I didn't smell a thing!) Bill W.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

My problem was I didn't put enough of the stuff on so that the dent was completely filled. Didn't notice it till after the paint job. Ya a real bummer but it is just a "driver". May get ambitious and redo the whole thing in my older age.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Terry, NJ

Bill, Thanks for the insightful comments! You and dog never fail to entertain. And you're right about the smell! Chheeezze ! Guys, I was hoping some had some "Magic in a bottle" that I could just brush on and it would harden it. I'm getting so much practice at this body work stuff, I'm going to be good at it by the time I'm done. But I really don't enjoy it. Especially the smell! I used that old golf ball sized glob and I thought there was enough hardener, yeah, the color wasn't as dark, but then it didn't set up so fast either. Not the first time I've had to rework a job!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
J Franklin

Plastic filler will actually harden without the catalyst, it just takes about forever. If you want to get the job done just remove it. If you are not in a hurry you might give it a few days and see what it does. I have waited overnight before when using too little hardener and didn't have a problem with any topcoats.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote