Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Where to find info on gearbox conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Great DD, even though I was sloppy in my descriptions.

So do you think that the NWC S10 tail shaft housing will work well as long as the WC funnel is used?

Thank you!

Glenn ......I don't have THE definitive answer for you. Take what I'm saying here with a grain of salt. This "S-10" housing dilemma has haunted me for a long time. It has been said in print more than once that there has NEVER been a WC (World Class) S-10 T5 transmission built for production. OTHER print material that I have seen suggest that some 1993 through 1995 S-10 transmissions were WC. That newer-looking WC rear housing that I pictured above earlier was advertised as "World Class". So, I don't know FOR SURE! I've always read that this oiling issue had no effect on the internal gear set. I have always known that there was SOME issue regarding the tiny plastic funnel that is placed in the end of the Cluster shaft and held in place by that wiggly spot in the tail shaft HOUSING. Below is a quote that some guru wrote many moons ago, and that I have followed for many years playing with these things.

Famous Quote: " A small plastic oiling funnel is found on the countershaft and retained by the tail
housing. These are different from WC to NWC, but it is primarily due to changes in the
tail housing casting, not an internal oiling issue. Consequently, this plastic funnel should
stay with the tail housing. So, use the S10 plastic funnel when swapping an S10 tail
housing onto a WC T-5."
THIS method seems to work satisfactorily.

Below is a lengthy thread from "Flat Ernie's" T5 site that has a lot of discussion about this machined area for the plastic funnel and bearing in the rear housing, as well as many other useful tid-bits of rhetoric. Save it for future reference ANY of you's serious T5 guys. Click the link BELOW! DD

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ctures.280529/

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote