Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
woodrow

Default 2 brake questions

Our '14 Model T has stock brakes except for lined shoes. When I pull the park brake handle back firmly I can still move the car if I push hard from the rear. Seems to me it should be very difficult to do that. I'm concerned about creep forward after cranking. I have tried to adjust the length of the brake rods but the clevis is all the way up the threads. If I could adjust the rods to be shorter the brake cam would turn enough to expand the shoes so the shoes engage the hub tightly. I'm open to suggestions for better adjustment.
The second question regards the brake pedal. New Kevlar bands were recently installed and, at first, the T stopped very well. However, now when I push down on the brake pedal it goes almost to the floor. I removed the cover for the bands and tightened the adjustment nut a few turns but I don't see any change. The brake does engage but not what I would want to get a good safe stop. The brake drum seems to be in good shape. Sure would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: 2 brake questions

I suggest for the parking brakes, pull the rear wheels and inspect. The rear cams could be worn out, the brake rods stretched, shoes worn, too much oil on inside of drums.
Transmission brake; pull the cover and have someone turn the crank while you inspect the drum for cracks. Some Kevlar takes several adjustments to get seated. Yours my not be fully seated yet and need another adjustment. Do you have one of the transmission oil screens installed? When you pull the cover are you seeing and extra fluff from the band lining?
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
woodrow

Thanks for the quick reply on the brakes. Hadn't thought about the cams being worn. I'll check that. Regarding the Kevlar bands, that's easy to adjust so I'll do that. Will see if my wife can pull the crank while I check the drum. Thanks
woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Royce P

I have had to cut off the brake rods and thread them further with a die to fix the problem like you have with the parking brake. Your drums and brake cam shafts have wear. Might need to replace the bushings in the backing plates.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
CharlieB

As suggested the rear brakes need to be looked at. Diff. lube perhaps has leaked onto them. There's not a heck of a lot of contact area between the shoes and drum mostly because of the fact that they only move at the cam end so perhaps 1/4 of the lining is contacting the drum on a good day. It's not a lot to begin with and a bit of oil will ruin the brakes operation. As they wear contact area will increase but you have to adjust for it. Make sure nothings worn before doing any mods. About the foot brake: it's all been said above.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote