Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
KeansClassics

Default Title Issues!

Now that I have the 1930 Ford Model A home, I am still in the process of getting the title for it. The Lady who sold it to me can't seem to find a title for the car. It was her husbands car and she doesnt even recall seeing the title for it. Her husband died last April and that is why she sold the car. She will be checking in with the DMV in Wisconsin to see if she can get a title. I could tell on the phone tonight that she really doesnt want to call them but I insisted. She is wanting me to just try and title the car here in Nebraska without a title, but I know that out of state vehicles require a Sherrifs Inspection and title from the state it is coming from.

There is this option I could try for my car.
Here is what Nebraska's DMV says about cars pre-1940. -

ANTIQUE MOTOR VEHICLE – CERTIFICATE OF TITLE

If the owner does not have a Certificate of Title for a motor vehicle which was manufactured prior to 1940 and which has not had any major component part replaced and a Nebraska Certificate of Title has not been issued during the preceding thirty-year period, proper evidence of ownership is all of the following:The transferor may sell the motor vehicle using the bill of sale and the transferee may apply for the Certificate of Title.

If a major component part has been replaced, please refer to Assembled Motor Vehicles and Assembled Classic Motor Vehicles.

If the purchaser was not provided with the appropriate documents to provide evidence of ownership, he/she may be eligible for a Bonded Certificate of Title.

If the vehicle is coming into Nebraska from another state, the owner must have a valid Certificate of Title or registration from that state.

I was told that Wisconsin does not keep records that are older then 5 years and since the car hasn't been on the road for over 8 years they dont have record of it. Would I be able to use the method described above to get the car titled? Nebraska does do a Vehicle History report but since Wisconsin doesnt keep records will anything show up?

The other option would be for the lady to get a bonded title put into her name and then send me the title to have it put into my name. Nebraska requires 3 years to go by before issuing a regular title. I would hope that she would be up to doing that. What can you tell me about getting a bonded title?

I am looking for some advice here, if anyone has any information that would help, please share!

Thanks!

The Car Collection
-1928 Dodge Victory 6 Four Door Sedan
-1930 Ford Model A Murray Town Sedan 155C
-1938 Ford One Ton Express Pickup
-1946 Dodge D24 Four Door Sedan
-1948 Plymouth P15 Deluxe Club Coupe
-1952 International Harvester L121
-1956 Plymouth P29 Savoy
-1958 Ford Custom 300
-1959 Edsel Ranger Four Door Sedan
-1960 Edsel Ranger Four Door Sedan
-1964 Ford F100 Flareside
-1965 Ford F250 Styleside
KeansClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Elcastor

Default Re: Title Issues!

The seller should be able to apply for a lost title. Someone may have to help her if she is very elderly, but it should not be a big deal.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Steam Engine Pete

Andrew,
I read the links you included in your post. I would send her the affadavit for transfer to fill out. Then follow the rest of the process for inspection, etc. The biggest thing is to know what is required of you and research it yourself. I have learned that the biggest mistake a person can make is to go to the DMV and say "I have this old car I would like to register and license. I do not have a title. What should I do?"

I think it is very doable with what Nebraska requires.

Pete
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
KeansClassics

I would do that but she is a Wisconsin resident and not a Nebraskan so it wouldn't work with the affidavit. I believe the pre 1940 thing Nebraska does is for residents of the state selling an old car to another in the state. That's what I get from it anyway.

The Car Collection
-1928 Dodge Victory 6 Four Door Sedan
-1930 Ford Model A Murray Town Sedan 155C
-1938 Ford One Ton Express Pickup
-1946 Dodge D24 Four Door Sedan
-1948 Plymouth P15 Deluxe Club Coupe
-1952 International Harvester L121
-1956 Plymouth P29 Savoy
-1958 Ford Custom 300
-1959 Edsel Ranger Four Door Sedan
-1960 Edsel Ranger Four Door Sedan
-1964 Ford F100 Flareside
-1965 Ford F250 Styleside
KeansClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Cool Hand Lurker

First, the lady should look through their papers to try to find the certificate of title. If she can't find it then she will need to get a replacement title and sign that title over to you.

I had to get a Minnesota title on a Model A from Wisconsin and my situation was similar to yours. The seller had lost the title certificate. Here is the reply I got from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's website. They are at http://www.dot.wi.gov/drivers/vehicles/title/ and you can email them by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page. Look for Wisconsin DMV email service

Reply From Wisconsin DMV:
Subject: RE: If you are inquiring about a specific vehicle, include the license number or identification number.

Thank you for using the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's website.

I show no record for the VIN that you provided. You can check with your state to determine if there is any way you can transfer the vehicle without the title. More than likely your state will require a title signed over to you. The Wisconsin resident selling you the vehicle should contact us for guidelines for attempting to get a title for the vehicle.
Call us at (608) 266-1466. Once you make your selection for language preference, choose 5 from the menu, then 5 again and then 2. Prior to calling, please have the following: VIN # (vehicle identification number), license plate number or title # for the vehicle about which you are inquiring with a mailing address and we will send you a list of these guidelines. You may review the list to see if this process would best serve your situation. Please be aware you may be required to post a surety bond if the department deems it necessary in order to provide you with a title. We will contact you after receiving your application if we need further information. Our hours of service are Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm CST. The best time to reach a Research & Information processor is between the hours of 7:30 am and 8:00 am and also between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm.

Mr. Kean, I hope this helps. With the Wisconsin title in hand hopefully you won't have to go through that much work with the Nebraska people.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

As mentioned first make every attempt for the seller to find the title.

If the seller can't find the title, they should apply for "lost title" then transfer that to you.

If you have to file paper work to make up a new title, then you as the buyer will have to pay for a bond, which can be hundreds of dollars, depending on the car value.

It took me 18 months and cost me $500 to get 2 titles and bonds for 2 of my old cars.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
Deluxe Delivery Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcastor View Post
the seller should be able to apply for a lost title. Someone may have to help her if she is very elderly, but it should not be a big deal.
Dido !!!
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote