Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
WARBED1

Default Valcan/Storm Boring bar

I have a V/S boring bar that came out of a Ford store. Was told that it was a special tool for boring the old inline 4 and 6 engines. it looks to be in great shape and has the tooling with it. even the original shipping crate with the leather packing slip. I'm thinking about trying it out since it does work. does anyone know anything about these. not much on line that I can find. Thanks for any help. If need picture I'll add them.
WARBED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: Valcan/Storm Boring bar

I have one of those Storm Vulcom boreing bars, It works fine, only a one speed bar, about like me (very slow). You cain't get anything for them, you can still get tool bits from Goodson. I had to get the motor rebuild in mine a couple of yr's ago, the feild coils burned out. I try not to hurt it, I don't take over .030 to a cut. When you boreing 1/8 or sleeving, you better have a comfortable stool to set on. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
JWL
Member Emeritus

My oldest and most prized boring bar is a Storm/Vulcan. It is serial number 36. I only use it on very special occasions because it is much slower than my newer units. However, I used it to bore the engine which is in one of my cars just to be in vogue for 1940.

My advice is to learn the operation of the machine, stop settings, withdrawal procedures, etc. without tools inserted and gain some level of comfort before making any chips. Begin, then, with light cuts and work your way up. As Walt said, the tools are still available if you cannot make your own.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
flatheadernie

I have a hand crank (T-bar) boring bar , 2 heads with 7- 2 in long cutters i used on the 52 merc in the 46 coupe. talk about slow, very smooth finish had to hone to seat rings. ernie n tx
flatheadernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
WARBED1

Thanks for the info guys. I have a waisted engine that I will test it on. I purchaced an operations manual. I thought I was missing a table mount but it looks like it mounts dirrectly to the engine. Anybody know what they are worth I have a Bridgeport that I will probably use instead but I have to replace the head bearings.
WARBED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
columbiA

For quite a few years,I had an old single speed Rottler boring bar that I picked up at an auction.I bored a number of T,s A,s & FH V8,s as well as a 1915 Cadillac V8.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
For quite a few years,I had an old single speed Rottler boring bar that I picked up at an auction.I bored a number of T,s A,s & FH V8,s as well as a 1915 Cadillac V8.
Rottler was the Cadallic of boreing bars, I've use them all Quick Way--Van Notrman-- Rottler. Of course I was spoiled useing Sunnen CK-10 automatic cyl. hone. walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
31chevy

How about some pictures . I find these old tools where a computor did not guide them interesting. Thank you.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote