Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
ford28roadster

Default shocks leaking

my shocks on front leak but seem to work. will a kit with seals fix this leak and is this something i can do? thanks john also could i try stp in the shocks as its real thick maybe would not leak?
ford28roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Re: shocks leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford28roadster View Post
my shocks on front leak but seem to work. will a kit with seals fix this leak and is this something i can do? thanks john also could i try stp in the shocks as its real thick maybe would not leak?
Call and ask John Holland. 330-483-3896.

John is one of the premier original Model A shock absorber rebuilders in the USA. Very honest man, and will tell you exactly what to do.

Larry
Old 01-24-2016, 01:13 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

They have a seal kit for sale from the vendors but unless they are new my guess is that they are shot.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

You should start by reading the shock rebuilding article in the service bulletins---then decide if you can make the tools (or find someone that has and is willing to let you use them), to just reseal the shaft if it isn't loose in the housing("bearings" worn) just the cover needs to be removed, then the seal is exposed

if your shocks are good using too high a viscosity oil in an attempt to slowoil leaks will make them too stiff

there have been pictures of homemade tools posted before, do a search
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
duke36

CAUTION: Unknown to me, my recent A purchase came with evidently replacement shocks, filled the shocks with shock oil and leaks started immediately. Found out afterwards from vendors catalogues that newer replacement shocks are sealed with the outer chamber dry. Suctioned out the oil and leaking almost gone. Will have to see how these shocks perform over time.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I made a 4 piece set of shock tools, plus the angle iron mounting bracket, which are the most heavy duty tools I've seen. I made 3 sets. I sold one set on ebay for a very disappointing price. I sold another set to Jim in Wisconsin, and kept the third set for myself. The spanner wrench has a fixed pin to engage the hole in the lock ring, while the full circle lock ring tool has a movable pin to engage the hole.

Notice the large strap wrench used to unscrew the cover. I tapered the ends of the metal strap outward slightly so there is no chance of it leaving a mark in the cover. I don't have any dimensions or blueprints, but you can make your own tools by looking at the pictures.

The hex wrench has 6 tapered sides to match the taper of the hex in the shock. These tools took a lot of time to make, and I won't be making any more, but if you want a set get in contact with Jim Sinclair because he finished his shocks and has his set of tools for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Shock1.jpg (41.7 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Shock2.jpg (54.1 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Shock3.jpg (51.1 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Shock4.jpg (47.0 KB, 214 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
ford28roadster

my shock works great but leaks im going to order seal kits see if i cant fix em thanks everyone
Old 01-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Richard Lorenz

Leaks with original type Model A shocks occur because of rough surfaces. The place that is most often overlooked is where the outer cover squeezes the O-Ring (or similar seal) onto the shaft. That area of the outer cover is usually badly rusted and pitted.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I made a 4 piece set of shock tools, plus the angle iron mounting bracket, which are the most heavy duty tools I've seen. I made 3 sets. I sold one set on ebay for a very disappointing price. I sold another set to Jim in Wisconsin, and kept the third set for myself. The spanner wrench has a fixed pin to engage the hole in the lock ring, while the full circle lock ring tool has a movable pin to engage the hole.

Notice the large strap wrench used to unscrew the cover. I tapered the ends of the metal strap outward slightly so there is no chance of it leaving a mark in the cover. I don't have any dimensions or blueprints, but you can make your own tools by looking at the pictures.

The hex wrench has 6 tapered sides to match the taper of the hex in the shock. These tools took a lot of time to make, and I won't be making any more, but if you want a set get in contact with Jim Sinclair because he finished his shocks and has his set of tools for sale.
Tom. Is there anything you can't do . You are amazing! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Tom,
Those are really nice tools!
Also you have a nice workbench too. Mine is all banged up!
Thanks Vince, and that's the kitchen table.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Here is some information on rebuilding shocks; http://www.goldcoastmodela.com/Shocks/shocks.htm
Old 01-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
ford28roadster

mike, thanks ive copied these articles will be great help. my shocks work have great resistance etc but leak at the arm. ive ordered kits and have a friend and he says we can take apart so these articles will be a great help. john savannah ga
Old 01-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
barkleydave

I think my shocks are working but on a CCPU it is hard to tell! They are not leaking so I am going to leave them alone for now.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #14
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
I think my shocks are working but on a CCPU it is hard to tell! They are not leaking so I am going to leave them alone for now.
You really can't tell by just looking. The front shocks on my 29 tudor looked fine with no leaks. The only way to be sure is to disconnect them from the axle and push the arm up and down to check for resistance. The front shocks on my tudor were doing nothing. - no resistance in either direction!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #15
old car guy

Tom when you retire and wish for something to do. And want to get out of that miserable cold up there come on down to Tampa , I will set up a warm spot for you in my shop and you can build me all of those special tools that you just keep popping out. Great tool for a very hard item to get apart, and by the looks it seems like it will whip them right open. The invitation is always open Great job