Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Doodlrodz

Default Eddie Meyer heads

How can you tell the difference between the repro heads and old originals ? I just bought a set of the 21 stud heads and they are supposed to be originals I just wondered if there's a sure fire way to tell. I did a search but apparently didn't use the right words to find the answer.
Doodlrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
27TV8

Default Re: Eddie Meyer heads

The new heads have not been on the market to long, I would expect originals to have some corrosion around the water jackets. Also new heads would most likely be well looked after re anti corrosion additives.
27TV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Randy

Look at the machined bosses on top of the heads for the head studs, the aftermarkets I've seen do not have the head stud hole in the absolute center of the machined boss, the originals I've seen do.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Doodlrodz

Thanks Randy, here's a pic. it looks like some are dead center and some a little off to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (59.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Randy

I think those might be originals. I think that the fins on the originals are slightly thinner than on the repros, but not absolutely sure. Either way, they look great!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

Either way, if they are usable and you got them for under $700 you are in luck. E.M. 21 stud heads aren't too common.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
trevo

I have a new set of Eddie Meyer heads on my car, yours have that oldie worn look about them and they appear more polished than mine so maybe you have originals lucky you.
trevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
Doodlrodz

Thanks guys, I was told they're originals but I'll use them either way just thought there may have been an easy way to tell. Really excited about getting these on and picked up a nice intake too. So between now and spring I'll probably be asking a lot of questions.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevo View Post
I have a new set of Eddie Meyer heads on my car, yours have that oldie worn look about them and they appear more polished than mine so maybe you have originals lucky you.
I agree, they look like originals in the picture. I have a repro set that i got from Vern Tardel and they have that freshly cast crispy clean look about them. I think i would rather have a set of originals in very good condition unless the alloy used in the new will provide some advantages.

Pictures of Eddie Meyer Repro heads:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01204.jpg (73.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01205.jpg (64.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01207.jpg (55.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01209.jpg (64.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01210.jpg (49.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01208.jpg (55.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01211.jpg (67.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01212.jpg (62.5 KB, 50 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-19-2012 at 03:19 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Don Orosco has them cast. If you can find his phone number, you can call him up & ask him.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Doodlrodz

When I was doing my search on here there was a thread where someone was doing the reverse of what I'm going to be doing, changing from pumps in the heads to pumps in the block. My engine is a rebuilt 21 stud with the center dump heads and pumps in the block and I'm going to be putting the Eddie Meyers heads on with pumps in the heads. So I'll be needing engine mount/water inlets and the water pumps for the heads, I also bought a dual carb intake and want to change to 81's right now my engine has a very nice large logo 97 on it. So I'm looking for someone who wants to trade stuff. I'll be removing heads, water pumps, intake and carb. Here's a pic. of my engine it's all in nice shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC110011.jpg (80.2 KB, 145 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
Doodlrodz

Got my tracking # for the heads so they're on their way so while I'm waiting here's another question for you guys. If these really turn out to be nos. heads would it be a mistake to use them ? I just got thinking about it and thought maybe it would be a stupid thing to do. I did send a message to Don Orosco to see if he had any insight for telling the difference between his heads and these. What's everyone think?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
alchemy

Our ancestors saved NOS parts for us to use. They didn't save them for a museum.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
rotorwrench

Use em up & wear em out. Make em do or do with out.

If you keep your coolant system in good condition those heads will stay in good condition. Don Orosco's heads are well cast and pretty well finished and probably use better alloys than were available way back when. For the person that wants a new part, that's the best way to go.

I've seen too many good heads & intakes hanging on the wall and collecting dust. I just don't see the point.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Doodlrodz

I agree with you guys I just had sudden feeling of guilt like I was about to deface something that should be preserved. If the heads are somewhat rare to start with and these turn out to really be nos originals do they deserve to be kept that way ?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
Doodlrodz

Got the heads and I think they are originals they have some letters on the back side of the water pump housing don't know if Don's have these or not I sent him an email to see if they do. Here's a couple pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4080022.jpg (55.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg P4080020.jpg (72.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg P4090020.jpg (87.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
rotorwrench

It's hard to say one way or the other but at $995 per set, the new ones will likely be taken very good care of by any prospective owners. If anyone is interested in Don's stuff and they don't have his web address here it is. www.montereyspeedandsport.com

His heads don't generally come polished but they would be easy to polish if that was desired. I think his are available in both flat top and domed piston designs depending on the customers requirements.

Kerby
Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

bttt-

added pictures of Eddie Meyers repro 21 stud finned aluminum heads for domed top pistons in my previous post. These will go on '35 5w coupe in my avatar picture.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Doodlrodz

Thanks John, I was hoping that the repros didn't have the #'s on the back side of the water pump housing but they do. The only real difference I can see is the transition of the fins into the water pump housing area looks smoother on mine but that may be due to the polishing. Anyone else see any differences ?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
philmigliore

I have an orosco set identical to johns set. They machined the fins for some reason and did a poor job of it as they cut into the water jacket a bit. Not all of the orosco heads have the machined fins, I've seen them in person without the machined fins. Also check the website he has several pictures of them without the machined fins and they are identical to yours other than the polishing. My gut says they are an early set of orosco repros, the asking price also leads me to believe that as well. That's what the repros were going for years back and what I paid for mine.

Last edited by philmigliore; 01-21-2012 at 09:46 AM.
philmigliore is offline   Reply With Quote