Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
48-710

Default Ford Pilot question

G'Day gang,
I have a couple of questions re a 1952 Pilot. What I would like to know is ....... Does the' 37 21 stud motor gaskets fit and does any other crank fit ?. The crank that's in the engine is ground .040" rods and .030" mains. It has the thick walled rod brgs with the a flange and a locating tang. I'm having trouble finding the under size bearings . Thanks in advanced. Regards Gary
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Ford Pilot question

Gidday Gary Surman, Yeah man ,any 21 stud gasket set will fit, any Yankee 21 stud crank will fit, but it'll have a shorter snout, also, the 21 stud flanged full floaters will fit either crank or rod assembly you wish to use. Actually, it pays to use the Polite rods, cause they've always run locked in shells, so measure up betterer than rods that have been running floaters, so should hopefully still be within stock specs. Anything else you need to know bro [cause I'm a Kiwi and proud of it! sweet as] Nah worries mate, just send me a PM, [just not that skankie thing of yours!] Brian just jousting with one of my Aussie cuzzie bros from across the ditch.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
48-710

Brian, Eah bro, thanks for the quick reply.Just for that I won't mention the All Blacks game or the Silver Ferns defeat. Nah just kidding. I will see if I can find any locked in the rod brgs and run with that. Thanks again, Gary
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The crank needed was used here '37-38 21 stud, '38 only 24, and 1936 insert bearing only...PN begins with 68.
In England, all the 21 stud English built truck, military and industrial engines have right crank, Canadian 24 stud military not.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Brian

Actually, the Pilot crank is different to the American 21 stud crank. It has the longer, larger dia crank snout as 39 onward engines have, also the drillings for oil holes in crank journals is different. However, the interchangeability comes about because all bearing journal measurements between the two crankshafts is identical.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Aha! I should have been able to deduce the length, as Ford England used the '37 type motor in '39 deluxes...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote