Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
Safewiz

Default To much?

I was outside this AM with my flashlight in the rain checking my oil and water, just like every day. I go to work very early, dark when I leave, so the flashlight is needed. Oh, for those not familiar with me, I am the guy who decided to make my A my daily driver. Even went so far as to sell my normal daily so I would be committed to using this one for all my driving needs. Since this is my daily, I also keep 2 sets of plugs, 2 condensers, 2 sets of points, and a coil, and a test light, all in a large freezer bag, inside of another zip lock freezer bag, all of which I keep in the car. I put about 120 to 150 miles a week on my car. Am I being overly cautious ? I have been wrenching for 40 yrs plus, and never felt the need to do this with any of my previous 40s, 50s, or 60s cars. May just be this is my first Model A, and have not had the experience most of you have had. It never uses oil between changes, and hasn't needed water since I packed the pump 3 mths ago. I just think that it is better to have and not need, then to need and not have. Anyone else out there that does all these things, or am I just being paranoid.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: To much?

You're not going to find this stuff anywhere else if you break-down on the road, so best to carry an emergency kit.

I got my un-restored Special Coupe on the road in Feb of '10, and put nearly 10,000 miles on it in the first year (daily driver, about 20-50 miles / day). The only thing the failed on the road requiring replacement was a condenser. Oh, and a head-gasket because of missing ignition cable-clamp on stud # 8. This was a car that I started-out with at 77,000 miles on the clock.

I have been driving old iron (25 years old or more) since getting my license decades ago, two of my longest old drivers were a '48 Chrysler NYer, and a '41 De Soto. Once I got the bugs sorted-out after their long sleep, I had very few break-downs on the road, especially with the De Soto.

Sounds like you're well-prepared... others might add a few suggestions.

Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Your situation is not that unique and the extra precautions are the price you pay for trying to save money by useing a hobby car as a daily driver. If I were you my concern would not be a mechanical breakdown, it would be your insurance or lack thereof. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
Phred

"Paranoid" might be a strong word, you may prefer "prepared".
These items don't take up much room or add much weight. Of course, if you do take them out of the car Mr. Murphy will provide an immediate need for them.

Sounds like you car is running good, enjoy it. Our cars are rather dependable.

Phred
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post
"Paranoid" might be a strong word, you may prefer "prepared".
These items don't take up much room or add much weight. Of course, if you do take them out of the car Mr. Murphy will provide an immediate need for them.

Sounds like you car is running good, enjoy it. Our cars are rather dependable.

Phred
agreed - not much weight or space taken up by them. Although I think 8 extra plugs might be getting near overdoing it haha. Id keep one set but if your driving your car and everything's running right and your adjusting the advance as needed I dont see why the plugs wouldn't last a very long time.

Sifting thru the deteriorated seat material and 40# of hickory nuts under my truck seat I found several old sparkplugs and points sets and a small spool of bailing wire. What more could you need?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
Cool Hand Lurker

Remember to check your spare for air. Most people don't carry a spare spare.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Art Newland

Maybe we need a new word... prepar-aniod? 8^)
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safewiz View Post
or am I just being paranoid.
Been there, done that.....based my paranoia on something that was old, mechanical and a less than knowledgeable owner behind the steering wheel.
Paranoia was solved when I did two things...joined the AAA and acquired Larry Shepard's phone number.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief used to say, "Carry tools & stuff & you're sure to have TROUBLE"--LOL
He changed his mind on a Route 66 trip, when the carb nuts loosened & 2 nuts fell off the steering gear mounting bolts, on his '59 Buick Le Sabre!
Bill W.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #10
Gyrodoc

Safewiz,
I agree with the rest prepared is the best. I have a daily driver also but my only tool is my AAA card with 100 miles towing. I prefer to repair problems at home in my garage. If I were taking an extended tour I would carry a kit such as you have. Fortunately, I've only needed AAA twice in 10 years.
Richard
Gyrodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrodoc View Post
Safewiz,
I agree with the rest prepared is the best. I have a daily driver also but my only tool is my AAA card with 100 miles towing. I prefer to repair problems at home in my garage. If I were taking an extended tour I would carry a kit such as you have. Fortunately, I've only needed AAA twice in 10 years.
Richard
Your preparation makes far more sense ! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 08-04-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
coupe1942

I believe that in most instances of a break down the very tool or part you need the most is laying right where you left it on your garage work bench. I have used such things as the metal clip from my garage door opener to barbed wire to resolve distress issues. At worse was pushing my A for a bit on down the road. 99 % of the times I have ever been broken down, someone, mostly strangers, stopped to help. This was both for my previous Model A's and my Russian Ural sidecar. That 1 % left was likely when I ended up pushing my old tudor down the road a bit. Carry what you wish to make yourself feel good and secure, but chances are Murphy's Law will remain intact and also the idea that any specifically needed tool or part will still be there on your workbench in your garage right where you left it.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

prepar-aniod I like that. No you are doing fine! If you had a spare distributor, starter, carb, oil pump, ammeter, popout, 2 tubes, and a axle, then you would be paranoid. Carry a club roster to get help if you need it.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:24 AM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

For old veterans, this was known in the Military as 1st Eschelon Maintenance ...... later Veterans renamed it Driver's Maintenance.

A driver usually enters a military motor pool and withdraws an unknown vehicle.

He has no idea who drove this vehicle last so he checks coolant, oil, tire pressure etc. prior to leaving.

Never a bad idea if one does not use one's Model A often.

Could be overkill if the same driver uses the same vehicle every day of the week .... checking same once a week could be enough for a driver who drives the same vehicle with "NO" problems all of the time.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #15
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
For old veterans, this was known in the Military as 1st Eschelon Maintenance ...... later Veterans renamed it Driver's Maintenance.

We just call it 'operator's maintenance' since the checklist pertains to anything mechanical (bicycle, lawnmower; etc).....and in relation to stupidity, 'operator's headspace' is widely used, which that doesn't apply to me, I don't allow it to happen to me. I just call Larry and keep my sanity!!!

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #16
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Been there, done that.....based my paranoia on something that was old, mechanical and a less than knowledgeable owner behind the steering wheel.
Paranoia was solved when I did two things...joined the AAA and acquired Larry Shepard's phone number.

Wow! Thanks Ed!Glad to know I'm up there with AAA. I have been known to make roadside service calls! Other than the original tool kit I don't even carry tools and parts anymore. If I'm taking an "A" on a trip then I pack a few but usually need them for the other guys!

Unless it's something catastrophic it shouldn't break and prevent me from getting home. I think the key is making sure your car is up to top notch mechanical shape and do the work at home in the comfort of your own garage and make sure all the systems, ignition, brakes, steering, electrical..etc are all perfect shape.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
jg61hawk

So 150 miles per week keeps that old gal / guy lubricated. They love to run! Sounds like if my math is right you're never too far from home. Of course why not check the fluids... what does it cost you? I leave my house everyday through the basement...WHY... to make sure no pipes are leaking. Just makes sense...we are a mechanical group. We know probably everything is OK but why not look. Pilot's checklist!
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:20 AM   #18
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Safe,

Too much .... so what .... if over 80, we hear that drips are normal ..... some drips we hear are normal much earlier ...... "Depends" for some .... ??????

Paranoid ......... always try to stay focused ...... seems people who live the oldest usually do everything "not" recommended ....... try thinking young ..... appears it helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:37 AM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

15 miles each way to work us hardly a trip. Get an AAA card and start enjoying yourself instead of concentrating on a breakdown. Wayne. .
Old 08-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #20
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Safe,

Too much .... so what .... if over 80, we hear that drips are normal ..... some drips we hear are normal much earlier ...... "Depends" for some .... ??????

Paranoid ......... always try to stay focused ...... seems people who live the oldest usually do everything "not" recommended ....... try thinking young ..... appears it helps.
Spoken like a true, 100%, authentic fellow Baby-Boomer..........where all the above is natural and a way of life.........................