Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
can you post a photo or two of the damage?

springerpete has the right idea........
A couple of things I see. If this thing took a hard enough shot to break a front bumper arm, I would expect to see the frame tweaked some. If that wheel took that hard of an impact, I would want to inspect everything from spring hangers, perches, spring, and even the crank bearing mount along with the clips and clip bar. Since the 28/29 Front Fender is out of production at the moment, that one is going to need to be repaired. R&I, stripping, straightening, and paint & refinish time alone will be in excess of 50 hrs.

Putting it this way, if the estimate was only written for 100 hours to completely repair, -the prevailing wage from most professional collector repair facilities (not a modern collision center) will likely be $75.00 or more per hour. That puts the estimate for labor alone at $7,500.00 minimum ...and 80% of an appraisal of $9,500 puts the car being a total loss. This does not allow for any labor, parts, or materials that we cannot see. Again, most collector car shops have a very long wait time right now with present workload, and most underwriters know this which is why they will consider it a total loss and pay a claim. Only David can answer if it is worth collecting the insurance company's check and receive the damaged vehicle as part of the settlement, -or whether to find a suitable replacement and put this one behind him.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frisch01.jpg (65.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Frisch02.jpg (71.4 KB, 127 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #22
noyo55

If it were my car I would take the settlement , buy it back for a nominal amount .look for some hotrodder who has bought a restored modelA for the body and is .selling the frame and sometimes fenders and running gear. Swap the body and remaining sheet metal that is good . If you lack the skills any competent body shop can do the swap for a reasonable price.
noyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #23
ronn

in my opinion, that fender is nowhere near worth being repaired.

just find another.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote