Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Model A Fan

Default Cost of a Model A Engine?

I am in the market for a Model A engine, but am unsure what the going rate seems to be. I am not looking for one that needs to be rebuilt, nor am I looking for one that is freshly rebuilt. Just one that will run without problems (if you know what I mean), a good used engine.

What does one usually pay for such an engine and transmission? I'm trying to not get ripped off. Thank you!
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Cost of a Model A Engine?

I never heard of anybody that just buys a used engine and installs it. What I consider an "good" used engine and what someone else does, could be far off, and the transmission is the same way.

In my opinion, the best bet is to buy a core and have it rebuilt so you know what was done and have a warrantee.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
CarlG

Check this out:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38060

Last edited by CarlG; 06-18-2011 at 03:38 AM.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Jerry Parr WI

I expect to pay the core value or slightly more with head and accessories. Look for one that has not been "inspected" as they are often for sale when found bad. I currently have two running beaters that cost less than $100. They are a little noisy and smoke a little but run just fine. I use one as a backup, last used while the proper engine was being rebuilt.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Rowdy
BANNED

Last year I bought 8 engines for $185. First one I tore down the rear main was junk, but the rest of the engine looked good. The second one had a broken piston, rods were shot and center main was pretty hammered. The third one is now running even though the babbit job is not the best. I took it in for a valve job, then re-assembled it as is. Pistons are on the loose edge, but t will not be seeing any road use, just putting together a chassis with a flatbed to run around the farm in and get parts gathered up. I have the fourth one about half tore down. looks ok so far, but anything can come to light when you pull the caps off. Rod
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
glenn in camino

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
There are probably some out there that just need minor repair and freshening up, but I wouldn't buy one and just install it and go. I'd tear it down, check bearing clearances, hone the cylinders, replace the rings, lap, and adjust the valves and surface the head. Good luck.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
Dave27

I am local to you and have a block (I think its 1931 if I remember right) that has been tanked,checked for cracks/magnaflexed and the seats redone.I also bought inserts for it,its been painted and I also have a spare trans clutch etc. I might sell the whole lot for what I have into it.But it would either need the babbit done or machined for the inserts I bought for it.I would also trade the whole works for 2 purfect rear fenders and a purfect drivers side fender for a 1930/31 4dr sedan.Or something in that relm of a trade....The trade is open to anyone....Thanks....Dave
Dave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

There are some pretty reputable people who regularly post on the barn who can provide this service to you. I have no contacts in your area, but I'm sure you can
find what you are looking for on this forum. JMHO

Jack
Old 06-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
I am in the market for a Model A engine, but am unsure what the going rate seems to be. I am not looking for one that needs to be rebuilt, nor am I looking for one that is freshly rebuilt. Just one that will run without problems (if you know what I mean), a good used engine.

What does one usually pay for such an engine and transmission? I'm trying to not get ripped off. Thank you!
At my shop I generally get "trade-ins" that are good running engines that have age where the owner wants a fresh "Touring" engine yet his engine is too nice to use as a core. What we do is provide a core for the rebuild and give him a credit for his good running but used engine. Generally speaking, a used long block of this caliber will run approximately $1000-$1200, ...and a little more if the Buyer wants the babbitt bearings "re-clearanced" at the time of purchase. A used transmission (only) that has had the top removed and the internals checked for damage only from the top will sell in the $200-$300 range. I hope this helps.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Model A Fan

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate it. I guess I am not needing a rebuilt engine, but rather one that Brent described as a "trade in". I am planning on putting a 21 stud flattie in my truck for a little more power (work truck), but would like a nice 4 cylinder while I am working on the flathead.

I am a student, so my budget doesn't really have the ability to get one built or rebuilt for that matter. I was hoping I could find a solid engine, even if it is a little on the worn side. Just something to putt putt around town while I work on my flathead. Thanks again for the information!
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post

"Usually pay" ? Heard the saying: you get what you pay for? I don't believe that there's a correct answer for this question, like what is 'average' and how high is up.

Hm, lots of good advice already given here. Contrary to what has been said, with detective work, I HAVE bought and installed and used , without teardown, the type of engine that you are referencing. Hey, everyone doesn't have deep pockets! And, you may not be intending to tour or drive much at all. But, with that said, there are 'things' you can do to help yourself to get what you are looking for.
For instance, at times, those selling such an engine have it mounted so that it runs..as a selling aspect. Usually most expensive, but you can look for that. You ask for history/knowledge of engine (at times,this is where human nature, sometimes at its' worst, comes in,i.e.-obfuscation/evasion/lying). Eliminate accordingly. Check oil for condition. Check exterior of block/head for rust/cracks, etc.. Check interior water inlet/outlet for rust scale. Buy a compression guage and learn how to use it! It's a crap shoot, but if you do your 'homework'. meets your criteria and it is CHEAP enough.... Mabe you know a knowledgable mechanic, that would to be good to have along! Haste makes waste($), don't be in a hurry and visit everything...fordbarn/ebay/swapmeets/neighbors/whatever. I'm assuming here that you are motivated in this search, but if you aren't , depend on luck, keeping in mind...MURPHY!! Good luck.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor

find someone building a street rod. I buy lots of parts at a cheap price from those guys. its amazing what nice cars some people use to build rods....Dave
85930tudor is offline   Reply With Quote