Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #21
Ray in La Mesa

Default Re: E-Z steer

Mel's phone # is 323-728-5712
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #22
CarlG

There's an article on Mel's conversion in the Summer 2010 Model A Times magazine.

[email protected]

Last edited by CarlG; 06-17-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Add eMail
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #23
CarlG

Maybe John Lavoy can give us his expert opinion on the various steering gears available, including the Mel Gross F100 unit and John's EZ-Steer, since he has all of the above in his cars.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #24
Thom IV

My "A" had hard steering. I installed a shortened pitman arm and adjusted the "slop" out by following Les Andrews instuctions in his Mechanics handbook. I recommend the procedure. It sure worked for me.
Thom IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom IV View Post
My "A" had hard steering. I installed a shortened pitman arm and adjusted the "slop" out by following Les Andrews instuctions in his Mechanics handbook. I recommend the procedure. It sure worked for me.
If I needed easier steering that's the way I'd go.

There is a big difference in most Model A's steering, and a properly restored to original steering. I drove my friend's 29 Tudor before and after he restored the steering. Properly done the Model A is nice to steer, but if you want or need even easier steering the shorter pitman arm is a quick easy change to make.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
Glenn C.

Tom...was your friend's 29 with the 7 tooth, or the Gemmer style 2 tooth. I re-built the total front end on our 31 slant window, wheel bearings, steering arms, etc. along with a total rebuild of the Gemmer steering box, using NORS or new replacement parts. A new forged shortened pitman arm was installed at that time. Steers great and stable!! I think the complaint is with the 28 - 7 tooth style, which has minimal adjustment.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
Tom...was your friend's 29 with the 7 tooth, or the Gemmer style 2 tooth. I re-built the total front end on our 31 slant window, wheel bearings, steering arms, etc. along with a total rebuild of the Gemmer steering box, using NORS or new replacement parts. A new forged shortened pitman arm was installed at that time. Steers great and stable!! I think the complaint is with the 28 - 7 tooth style, which has minimal adjustment.
My friend's was the 2 tooth Gemmer.

After my new garage is finished I hope to get the rebuilt front end put back together for my 28 as well as a very nice 7 tooth, and I'll see how that feels compared to the Gemmer. You just can't compare used worn out parts. Right now I have a very worn out front end on my 28 while I rebuild the original, which I removed a long time ago. I welded up all the balls and filed them round, sanblasted all the parts and painted them. Now I just need to reassemble it all.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #28
John Wing

Mel Gross phone # I have is ; 323-728-5712
J Wing
John Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #29
cabrioletgalaxie

Been reading this thread after doing some research of my own re the EZ Steer vs F110. I found similar stories including leaking EZ Steer units out there. I went with the F100 unit. These units certainly have been around a long time, engineered by Ford engineers and not by an individual with who knows what quality control. The F100 unit bolted in without modification, in about 5 minutes. There is even third bolt hole in an extra tab for stability but it isn't necessary to use it.
Contact Randy Gross (Mel's son) at [email protected].
Cost is $600. plus $30. shipping. I bought 3 "30-"31 units and the cost was $575. ea. The '28-'29 units are more expensive and you have to send you column out to him so he can adapt the box to it. I haven't finished my car so I haven't tried it yet.
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #30
roddyb34

I got a my own LHD F100 box done by Mel and Randy ,sent it from Australia ,they sent it back done and it works real good ,cost a bit in freight ,i should have cut the shaft off to save cost,but worked out about the same all up ,i needed a LHD box ,highly recommend them ,,,
roddyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #31
John LaVoy

Mel Gross phone (323) 728-5712
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #32
CarlG

John, Do you have any words of wisdom regarding EZ Steer vs Mel Gross's F100? I noticed in your articles in MAT that you have both units.