Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #21
cmbrucew

Default Re: Scammer on offshore rig

JSeery
Cash in hand is safest at your bank for high dollar transactions.
They are able to verify the currency as real, machine to count it, and you can deposit it before you walk out to the parking lot. Many stories about bad experiences from Craigs list.
Bruce
Old 10-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #22
Ross F-1

Look at it from the buyer's standpoint. Would you meet a stranger at a bank of his choosing, with $10K / $15k / more in CASH in your pocket?

I believe the deal on the drilling rigs is partly that they are in international waters most times. Who ya gonna call? If they really are even on a rig. How could you find out if they really are on a rig?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #23
Kahuna

My answer has always been: Send me your phone number and we'll talk.
I never hear from them again
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #24
37 Coupe

The oil rig thing would not be a negative to me as I have dealt several times on here and on Ebay with a Fordbarner from New Zealand that at times is on duty on his oil rig station. If the guy that you referred to as a scammers first name is Chris you may have blown a deal. He is a good guy.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #25
green50

I sold an item on ebay and the purchaser paid through Paypal. I sent the item since it was paid for. A day or so later it showed as being "unpaid". I called Paypal and it seems that they canceled the payment due to it being paid for with a stolen credit card. The matter was eventually resolved and I finally got paid. This was seven years ago, maybe things have changed since then.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #26
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Pay pal is one of the best systems for seller and purchaser .If there is a dispute the money is held until the party's resolve it between them selves if not the pay pals resolution section steps in.It keeps the seller honest as well .I have sold lots brake sets through pay pal over the years only had a couple problems ,A guy who goes by the Name ART Cruz managed to convince Amercian express here that the product didn't arrive ,I have the documents, I was out $700 ,but not worth the grey hair so It works both ways. Plenty of story's here were cars had purchased and imported were misrepresented having major rust structural safety problems Bondo d over etc . I have purchased a lot from the USA but wouldn't do it with out pay pal .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 10-19-2014 at 09:15 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #27
37 Coupe

The only time I ever had any trouble at all with Ebay or PayPal happened just recently to me as a seller. I should stay with just buying and selling Ford parts because I never have had a problem.I think that Early V8 guys usually know what they are buying and selling and as a whole are an honest lot. My problem evolved as I listed a Ruger 10/22 gun stock for sale,I listed it as a walnut stock which is what Ruger themselves called it with part # and box I had it in. Seems buyer expected an actual solid walnut stock not walnut finish,again I did not know and within 15 minustes of receiving the stock he filed a claim on me on Ebay,without consulting me. Ebay froze my PayPal account until I would resolve the problem with the buyer. I had listed it as "No returns" but contacted buyer and told him that I would reimburse the cost and shipping on return of the stock to me.He refused saying he wanted his money returned immediately then he would return. I informed him I could not reimburse him as Ebay and PayPal froze my account until I resolved the matter.Buyer finally tells me he wants to keep the stock but wants his money back also! Foreign speaking guy from New York. I couldn't even buy anything with PayPal for a couple weeks until "I resolved the matter" He was holding me hostage and PayPal allowed it. The final aggreement was I had to pay him half of what he had bid stock to and he gets to keep it and PayPal will unfreeze my account. Also I have blocked him from ever bidding and buying from me. I had tried to get Ebay to check into how many times this guy has tried this but never could get them to respond. I will stay with Ford parts and people from now on.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #28
TonyM

The oil rig thing is a SCAM. Has been around for a while. Several variations on this theme.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #29
Heard

Personally, I think Paypal is the worst. They refuse to send money to a P.O. box which is the only mailing address I use. I've never had a transaction with them that I liked. And trying to get anyone on the phone that speaks English is difficult if not impossible. I only use them if I absolutely HAVE to and then, as soon as the transaction is complete, I delete the credit card info. No way are they getting my bank account number.

I know a lot of people that like Paypal, but IMHO, anyone that actually likes Paypal should spend an hour or so checking out paypalsucks.com. Very enlightening. You know its bad when someone actually sets up a web site to show the world what is really going on at a company.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #30
bill3337

I hate to be another supporter, but I've used Paypal over a hundred times, both buying and selling and have yet to have a problem (Touch Wood!) I've used Ebay almost 200 times, again without a single issue so far.
bill3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #31
Bored&Stroked

I have had hundreds of transactions on PP - not a single problem. I've usually been the 'buyer', so maybe that makes a difference. I think the advice of moving large sums of money to another account - seems prudent (why not). I would not ship anything of high value until I absolutely knew that the money was safe in an account that nobody but ME has access to.

Best of luck . . .

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote