Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Which Valve Lash 59A/EAB Valve Rotators?

Confused markings on new Ford cam for my 59A labeled EA and 8RT. It is for a two bolt distributor. My valve set is rotator type. Do I go with the valve settings for the rotators or the 59A? Pretty great difference. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
jetmek

Default Re: Which Valve Lash 59A/EAB Valve Rotators?

Is that a NEW new cam IE: ISKY? Or a regrind? do you have adjustable tappets? Either way if you have adjustable Id prob set them for larger rotator spec .If noisey you can always close em up later
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
Fred A

It is a NOS Ford cam. It should be equal to a 59A even though it may have been manufactured as a service replacement because the core appears to have later markings but the nose is the short type for the two bolt distributor. It is clearly a new cam. Not clear if the cam dictates the lash or the rotators which in '52-'53 brought in added variations like auto transmissions and overdrives.
P.S.: I am using adjustable lifters.

Last edited by Fred A; 08-21-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:11 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

Cam or valve itself isn´t setting the lash needed.
It´s more the engine aplication...heat generates the expansion.
I would go with the older narrow setting.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
Frank Miller

Not sure what the difference is but if Ford opened it up for rotaters you might want to do that. If it is noisy after warming up then you can tighten it up. A tick will let you know the valve is seating properly. Silence could possibly mean it is not. The purpose of the lash is to get close to 0 when the motor warms up. Exhaust valves run hotter so they expand more, thus more clearance on them. The closed valve not only seals but also cools the valve, which is why you do not want them too tight.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Several things were going on when the rotators came out in mid 1951. All of the valve components, with the exception of the guides and maybe the keepers, are different. The new blocks started losing their stellite inserts when FoMoCo opted for plain cast iron for the seats. Some blocks had only the hardened exhaust seats but they were mostly for trucks. It's kind of a toss up as to whether the extra clearance was for the new valves themselves or for the lack of hardened seats. Softer seats would quickly loose a bit of clearance during operational service and they didn't go in there to adjust often. Only as required.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

Valve lash is determined by the clearance ramp ground into the cam, Thus, it has nothing to do with the lifters or rotators, I use Rotators on the Max #1, works great. set spring pressure at #50.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
Frank Miller

Ron made a point so I looked it up. Interesting.

http://www.sbintl.com/tech_library/a...valve_lash.pdf
Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
rotorwrench

That was the only other change then in mid 1951. The EAA & EAB cam (1CM for Mercury). There wasn't a lot of difference between the pre rotator cam and the post rotator but there is a difference.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-16-2017 at 12:40 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Not sure what the difference is but if Ford opened it up for rotaters you might want to do that. If it is noisy after warming up then you can tighten it up. A tick will let you know the valve is seating properly. Silence could possibly mean it is not. The purpose of the lash is to get close to 0 when the motor warms up. Exhaust valves run hotter so they expand more, thus more clearance on them. The closed valve not only seals but also cools the valve, which is why you do not want them too tight.
No, a "tick" means it is too loose. As a kid in the '50's, when flatheads were still fairly new, I rode in many a car that was so quiet and smooth at idle that you'd think it had died. No "tick, tick, tick"! That's the way they came from the factory. That's the way they should be set when doing a valve job, too.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
No, a "tick" means it is too loose. As a kid in the '50's, when flatheads were still fairly new, I rode in many a car that was so quiet and smooth at idle that you'd think it had died. No "tick, tick, tick"! That's the way they came from the factory. That's the way they should be set when doing a valve job, too.
You're right. I just meant to start big and close as necessary. It gets muddy when you're using different parts and you're not sure. My point was the tick won't hurt the engine like the silence might.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
Ross F-1

No noise on my engine with the wider lash and rotators.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Great to find this older thread!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 12-29-2017 at 09:15 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote