Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
WANNAT

Default California bill of sale question

California bill of sale I'm working on buying a 40 coupe that has a pink slip on non op, and has been on non op for a few years.
The seller has a bill of sale From the guy he bought it from, but he says he won't give me a bill of sale because he'll be charged taxes.
instead wants to write me a contract. This doesn't sound legit to me.
has anyone ever heard of this?
In California, I've only bought cars with a Bill of sale and the DMV seems pretty adamant about this .
thanks for any response you can give me...Tom
WANNAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: California bill of sale question

O.K. If the guy has the pink slip (ownership certificate) and a bill of sale from the previous owner you should be able to bypass the current seller. Is the pink slip signed and dated by the prior owner? If so leave the seller out of it and act as if you bought it from the guy whose name is on the pink slip. You will have to have the VIN verified if the information is out of the system. Make sure when buying the car that the VIN on the frame matches the number on the pink slip. I would recommend you seek out a registration service to help you navigate the process. For the fee they charge it will save you a lot of hassles with those at the DMV office. It's always a toss up at those offices whether or not you get someone who knowledgeable and someone who is not.
I have no idea why he says he will charged taxes on a car he never transferred. I've never heard of writing a contract on something like this. The only person to pay "use tax" is you based on the bill of sale value.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
mrtexas

In Texas there is a penalty for not transferring the title after 30 days. California the same?
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
19Fordy

Sounds like a "Skipping Title" or "Floating Title" situation. Not legal but frequently done.
http://www.wisdomandauthority.com/bl...-SKIPPING.aspx
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
expavr

This spells out CA DMV requirement for transfer of title.
http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/title-transfers.php
As TJ points out it is you (if a CA resident) who will pay the sales tax based on the value stated on the bill of sale. You say the the pink is "non op". The pink is the legal title to the vehicle. Its licensing and operational control is governed by the CA DMV vehicle registration. Whose name is on the "non op" vehicle registration? There is something fishy going on with this transaction which needs to be cleared up. If you're serious about this deal and a CA resident I think TJ's suggestion about using a registration service is an excellent recommendation. I've used their services in the past and found that the $150 fee was money well invested to avoid the DMV hassle.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
TJ

Here's another suggestion. Ask the seller if you can talk with the owner on the title. Tell the seller that you want to deal with him on the title issue. Indicate that you want to leave him (seller)out of the issue and this would be the easiest way to do it.It will be interesting to see what the seller has to say. Again, do check the VIN # on the title against the VIN on the frame. If they don't match run from the deal. As expavr says this thing sounds a little "fishy". It may be on the up and up, but do your homework.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
ford38v8

Rightly or wrongly, the seller may be thinking capital gains tax. I had that happen on a car purchase, and the seller was happy to sign a bill of sale for a reduced amount.

On a related issue to title, I've had sellers accompany me to the DMV to be paid on the spot upon title transfer. Also, it's nice for the car's provenance, to keep the original pink, and pay the DMV the additional $8.00 for "Lost Title".
Old 11-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Rightly or wrongly, the seller may be thinking capital gains tax. I had that happen on a car purchase, and the seller was happy to sign a bill of sale for a reduced amount.

On a related issue to title, I've had sellers accompany me to the DMV to be paid on the spot upon title transfer. Also, it's nice for the car's provenance, to keep the original pink, and pay the DMV the additional $8.00 for "Lost Title".
He is probably thinking of capital gains but also of the California State sales that should have been paid along with the penalty for not having reported the change of title when the first transfer was made. I don't know how much time you have but you do have to report it but there is a limit.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 11-27-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

California wants a piece of the action EVERY time a car changes hands.....TAX and fees! The guy you're buying the car from technically owes Cal taxes and fees for transacting a purchase from his seller. Since the guy selling to you has no transactional "paperwork" or title from the state of Cal, he figures that HE never "officially" owned the car, and would rather not have to pay Cal transfer taxes and fees, like he "REALLY" never owned the car........wink, wink! This will possibly become ugly before getting through with it. Most states now make it a felony to make any dis-honest statements on automobile paperwork......beware! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
Oakhurst

Years ago a friend of my went with the seller to the DMV to trade $ for title and reg. He gave the seller the cash as they waited. When they finally got to the counter, the DMV lady said something was missing. The seller took the paperwork and said he must have left it in the vehicle. He went out to the parking lot and guess what? He left with the vehicle to be sold and the cash.
Oakhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
1937pickup

Didn't Boyd Coddington get in trouble for something like this and wind up being fined a fair amount of money?
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937pickup View Post
Didn't Boyd Coddington get in trouble for something like this and wind up being fined a fair amount of money?
Boyd was representing his "belly-button", built-from-scratch cars as REAL, legitimate, manufactured cars by using "creative" paperwork. In other words, MOST of that stuff he built (from scratch) could not LEGALLY be registered as a REAL 1932 Ford, for instance. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Boyd was representing his "belly-button", built-from-scratch cars as REAL, legitimate, manufactured cars by using "creative" paperwork. In other words, MOST of that stuff he built (from scratch) could not LEGALLY be registered as a REAL 1932 Ford, for instance. DD
"The state of California is cracking down on fraudulent registrations of kit cars as antiques. For example many Cobra kit cars are registered as 1965 Fords using a VIN from some scrapped vehicle. In actuality those are cars of new manufacture subject to smog, crash testing and other regulations that the builder has illegally bypassed by creating a fraudulent title."

When you start with an antique car and title and replace everything on it, is your car then an antique or a kit car? Would also run afoul of the strict smog laws in California.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
"The state of California is cracking down on fraudulent registrations of kit cars as antiques. For example many Cobra kit cars are registered as 1965 Fords using a VIN from some scrapped vehicle. In actuality those are cars of new manufacture subject to smog, crash testing and other regulations that the builder has illegally bypassed by creating a fraudulent title."

When you start with an antique car and title and replace everything on it, is your car then an antique or a kit car? Would also run afoul of the strict smog laws in California.
Every word.........TRUE SCOOP! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #15
Floyd

Best advice is to use a registration service here in California on any old car purchase. As stated above, the fee is very fair for the work and advice they provide. California is pretty easy to register old cars from out of state with or without titles. However doing it yourself is just asking for problems from the DMV. The registration services are legit (they are bonded by the state) and will not do anything wrong or illegal as they will look at your situation and tell you exactly what you need to do and they will give you the exact forms and tell you how to fill them out. You will never figure this out yourself.They can also verify the VIN so you do not have to drag the car down to the CHP or DMV to have it checked. Follow their advice to the letter.
My opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #16
Binx

And for anyone in Virginia watching this thread, don't even think about bringing in a vehicle without clean, crisp, clear title.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
WANNAT

Yikes!
Sounds like a nightmare!
I've never had a problem with a lost title... just had the vin verified and filled out a statement of facts.
That and a bill of sale and $15- did it.
Years ago... I had to get the bill of sale from the guy on the title to the guy who was selling it to me. I had to track him down because I just had the bill of sale from the guy he sold it to... which was the guy I was buying it from.... what a ordeal that was!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #18
WANNAT

Ok..
Just talked to the seller and he doesn't want to be any where in the middle of the transaction.
He said he can only sell three cars that are not in his name a year.
Said he has a professional that can take care of the paper work.
I'm not ready to give him the $ and hope his professional is working for me.
Then he said that he will put the paper work in his name and sell it to me.
I asked why he could sell more than three cars if there in his name.
He said he could sell as many as he wanted if there in his name.
Can someone explain this to me?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 AM   #19
deucemac

I would ditch the guy and look for another '40. There are lots out there. I once got a nasty gram from the DMV that if I sold one more car in the year, I would have to register as a dealer. At that time the magic number to get you in trouble was 8 and I had sold my 7th. If your name doesn't appear anywhere on the title, the DMV has no idea how many cars you sold. I've owned 97 cars since my first car in 1962. Most all were bought and sold in California. I have used a title/registration service from time to time and they always were helpful. The DMV is rife with incompetent individuals that only know annual registrations and current transfers. Often the auto club can do what you need or at least prep the paperwork for the DMV. I registered a '40 pickup I did for my brother-in-law and the auto club helped get things in order but couldn't complete the transaction . I took everything to the DMV and the clerk said I needed this form which I produced. That went on several times and she asked me how I knew to have all the forms . I looked in her in the eye and said " 'cause I'm smart!". She just took the cash and gave me the temporary registration. This guy is either a con artist or lost. Either way, find a different '40.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
WANNAT

Yeah...
I just don't have that warm fuzzy feeling.
Thank you for all your help!
Tom