Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2023, 05:39 AM   #21
ndnchf

Default Re: 2023 Hershey

I've been having a great time buying original cutouts and generators for rebiilding. This is my haul from tuesday, yesterday was similar. I sold a couple of my restored generators too. Back to south chocolate today 😀
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4188_copy_541x406.jpg (88.3 KB, 548 views)
ndnchf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #22
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
I've been having a great time buying original cutouts and generators for rebiilding. This is my haul from tuesday, yesterday was similar. I sold a couple of my restored generators too. Back to south chocolate today 😀

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #23
ronn

you can thank pa tax greed why the big venders are not there

Richard, I am sure that wasnt a help in the last few yrs. Why so many people throw a couple of items on a table and a dollar lock box with it.

I do remember Dennis carpenter coming with a few phones. you stopped at his spot and ordered by phone. No PA tax.........

same thing happened on ebay and sales have gone markedly down. Instant tax collection.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 04:19 PM   #24
nelsb01

EOJ..............end of job.
Closed up around 2:30 pm. Another day with a crowd, but not like years past. Took in a little of the race car condition run. Not as many as before but the announcing was top notch and informative.
Overall walked 90% of the Orange, Green, Chocolate and Red fields. The electronic pedometer said 26.39 miles. Gee, I am a marathoner.
Not coming home with much, but it is better being here than not being here and hearing --- 'Gee guess what you missed'.
Car show tomorrow and will try and catch the vehicles driving onto the field. That is much more interesting than looking at them parked. They say it could be misting -- if that is the case, plan B will take over -- "check out the antique stores".
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 05:20 AM   #25
nelsb01

Plan B is in effect.
Got up and the window and hotel parking lot are wet wet wet.

Still good places to go, great places to eat and now I have a better tan than I had when I arrived.

See you next year --- October 8 - 11, 2024 (direct from the wooden nickel)
Old 10-06-2023, 01:51 PM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
you can thank pa tax greed why the big venders are not there

you stopped at his spot and ordered by phone. No PA tax.........

same thing happened on ebay and sales have gone markedly down. Instant tax collection.
I quit attending events where they are sticking you for sales tax. Iowa has done it for years with auctions. And E-Bay?? Is THAT still around?? That's how often I look at that crap.....

Tax tax tax, the 'best' way certain people want to control you and steal from you.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 02:06 PM   #27
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I quit attending events where they are sticking you for sales tax. Iowa has done it for years with auctions. And E-Bay?? Is THAT still around?? That's how often I look at that crap.....

Tax tax tax, the 'best' way certain people want to control you and steal from you.
It's interesting, for years they use to make announcements about the tax thing for vendors. This year, not a peep.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 06:50 PM   #28
38 coupe

I find it interesting that Hershey is shrinking. Pate down in Texas is still growing, we expect to exceed 10,000 spaces next spring. What is happening in the northeast?
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:06 PM   #29
mhsprecher

Crowds were way down, but it is still one of the greatest shows on earth. Apparently Herco wants the amusement park open, so AACA gets the shaft. The collateral business to the community has to be huge. To me it is a case of corporate greed pitted against the best interests of the community. Hopefully they can work something out. I can't imagine where they could get similar space with all the facilities they need, but I am sure folks are working on it.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:22 AM   #30
Pete/Ct.

Best Hershey ever, I even sold some stuff. Cant wait til next year.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:02 AM   #31
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
Thanks for stopping by my space and sharing your expertise with the cutouts and generators! Enjoyed your visit!

Stay Safe,
Pat
CL-9
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:19 PM   #32
woodiewagon46

This was our 55th year and I would rate it in the top 5. Great weather even with the early Friday showers.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:50 PM   #33
sawzall

I was only able to attend for 3 days. tues / wed / thurs.
I managed to trade parts for parts.. my expenses were food and fuel.

had a visit with friends from far and wide, offered my 29 wagon for sale.. and might even have a buyer.

as the kids say i rate it as a 10/10 for 2023!!!
Old 10-07-2023, 03:19 PM   #34
Yoyodyne

I see a mobility scooter definitely is in my future for next year. Has anyone here rented one on-site?
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 03:43 PM   #35
Model51

I had a great time at Hershey this year. Gave away some stuff, got some things for free, got a bunch of great parts at very reasonable prices. Lot's of great conversations and catching up with folks from all over. Even bumped into my best friend from high school and we graduated in 1974!! Walked 32 miles over 4 days and looking forward to doing it again next year.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 04:24 PM   #36
Brewsterbuff

Old time commitments to be kept, OR PROBABLY NOT! I have been a member of AACA, along with several different Regions, since about 1955. I was from the Philadelphia area, where it all started, and many of the original founders were still active in those Regions. Since I was a young guy I didn't travel with the ruling class, but I did have a good idea of what was going on and I knew several of them.
This is what I remember from those times!

When AACA outgrew the area at the Devon Horse Show grounds MILTON HERSHEY (an AACA member and active in the local regions) offered the Hershey Park grounds for the Fall Meet. The story, 'as I remember it', was that Mr. Hershey, PERSONALLY, offered the grounds to be available for the Fall meet "forever". Since the HERSHEY REGION was chosen to be the HOST for the Fall Meet, it was decided that they would continue to be the host. ?? FOREVER ?? This is why the other meets go from region to region but the fall Meet is always in Hershey and Hershey Region is always the host!
I am sure those "Founding Fathers" never imagined that their little hobby get-together would grow to the event as it is today!

At age 86 I am beginning to realize that 'NOTHING IS FOREVER'!

Last edited by Brewsterbuff; 10-07-2023 at 08:20 PM.
Brewsterbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 05:51 PM   #37
V8ER

Best Hershey sales ever. Nearly sold out.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:53 PM   #38
nelsb01

Drove past the fields this morning at 730 am
There wasnt a line up to get into the parking lot like there was earlier in the week.
Maybe the rain had something to do with it.
I am thinking that that Hershey Park didnt set an attendance record today.

As the guy at the AACA tent said -- Herco is not the same Herco from years past.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:56 PM   #39
greenie-reddy

Hmmmm, Milton died in 1945, 9 years (almost to the day) before the first show at Hersheypark- October 1954. The Hershey Region has published a better history- but from memory: There was a Hershey executive who offered the grounds after the Club needed to vacate the Derry Horse facility. Before the second year, the Hershey Region was formed and took over the show from the Pottstown Region. There has never been a “permanent” commitment from Hershey to host the show. The park typically shuts down daily operations before October 1, so the arrangement benefited both parties. As our weather has become warmer in early October, the Hershey company (HERCO) decided to open on weekends leading up to Halloween. It is unfortunate that working folks who cannot take off are not able to attend. For many years you could arrive early Saturday and see the entire swap meet and the car show. And many, many, school age children ( the future of our hobby) are unable to attend the Fall Meet unless they skip school.
greenie-reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:32 PM   #40
Brewsterbuff

So, I guess it could not have been Milton, but evidently his executive had an idea of his wishes had he still been around.
Brewsterbuff is offline   Reply With Quote