Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2022, 01:43 AM   #21
1928 Sport Coupe

Default Re: I just bought another Model A

I went to clean the car out today and to look for any stampings on the body. No luck with finding any other stampings.
1930artdeco - I jacked the car up and all of the visible wood underneath looks solid. The visible wood inside the car looks good also. When I take the car apart I may find something otherwise.
Gene F - I received the title from the auctioneer this past Wednesday the 28th and had it registered in my name Thursday the 29th. I had no problems at the DMV.
TerryH - I know the headlights are wrong. I probable will go with a repro 30-31 set. I have a similar set that came on a 1931 Hupmobile I have. It also is missing the Horn. I have an original horn on the way.
burner31 - Yes it has both side panel arm rests and the fold down arm rests. The center arm rest is covered by the home made seat covers. I do not know if it is all there but I could see most of it when I had the back seat out. And no I do not think the quarter windows roll down. I do not remember seeing any cranks.
I was looking under the car today and was amazed at the condition of the sheet metal. I did not find any obvious rust through anywhere. There is surface rust under the fenders but everything seems to be solid. I took the left spare tire off and even the Fender well is solid.
I took many pictures today and will add more pictures when I have time to download them.
The widow lady I bought this from also has a 1931 slant window fordor. I did not look at it much but she wants to sell it. The auctioneer did not put it in the auction because the car was from I think Tennessee and needs an out of state inspection. The car has had the engine changed and the numbers do not match the title. They could not find a number stamped in the frame. It is partially apart now trying to find the numbers. She also sold a 1930 Tudor sedan that was running and a driver it looked good from 5 to 10 feet away and had a nice interior.
1928 Sport Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:31 AM   #22
TerryH

The 1930 Town Sedans did not come with roll-down quarter windows; I think those appeared in 1931.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 12:09 PM   #23
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Noticed your rear quarter windows don't roll down, or am I not seeing it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
The 1930 Town Sedans did not come with roll-down quarter windows; I think those appeared in 1931.
Yes, late '31, on Slant Window Town Sedans.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-31-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 12:33 PM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928 Sport Coupe View Post
I jacked the car up and all of the visible wood underneath looks solid. The visible wood inside the car looks good also. When I take the car apart I may find something otherwise.
Lots of wood in the Fordors (non-Slant Window). I think the header above the windshield takes the worst beating and can be bought separately..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wood Frame.jpg (20.6 KB, 282 views)
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:48 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
I also noticed the 69/70 Mach1 behind it.
TOB
I did too You can't miss that bad boy.

Another member of the 'club' here that owns a '69 Mach 1 or Sportsroof Mustang besides a Model A.

Now I don't feel so lonely!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:33 AM   #26
1928 Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I did too You can't miss that bad boy.

Another member of the 'club' here that owns a '69 Mach 1 or Sportsroof Mustang besides a Model A.

Now I don't feel so lonely!
Jeff - The Mustang belongs to my brother not me. It is a 1969 Mach 1 Cobra Jet Sport roof. Originally sold new in California. He just restored it about 2 years ago. He also has a 1969 Mustang Grande coupe.
I have a 1969 Torino Gt Sport roof. Much like the one I had in high school. It needs to be restored. Other cars I have (2) 1931 Hupmobiles, 1940 Ford Tudor, 1923 Model t runabout hot rod. 1969 Fairlane, 1971 Maverick Grabber in Grabber green, 1928 Model A Sport Coupe. The Maverick and the Sport Coupe are drivers the others need to be restored.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:54 AM   #27
Synchro909

You said you are going to take it apart. Have you considered making it safe and reliable, then driving it as it is.
Old 01-01-2023, 02:09 AM   #28
1928 Sport Coupe

I want to go through the driveline, brakes, cooling, etc. The interior needs to be replaced. I had planed to give it a paint job. I think the paint is original but in poor condition. I was hoping I would not need to remove the body if the wood is OK. So far I think the wood I can see is very good, The doors shut good, sound solid, and line up good. First I need to pressure wash the underside to remove the accumulated dirt and grease, than decide how far I need to go.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:54 AM   #29
ronn

You said you are going to take it apart. Have you considered making it safe and reliable, then driving it as it is.

I will second that. Many today prefer the old crusty paint for its heritage. I do as well.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:47 AM   #30
marty in Ohio

In reference to Post #9. I just went out to the garage to look at the Briggs body number on my 1930 town sedan. My number is CL164-641. Some time ago I posted that the number started with CL and one of our FordBarners told me the CL meant Cleveland, Ohio. 1928 Sport Coupe, does your number has a letter prefix?
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:36 AM   #31
1928 Sport Coupe

Marty
All that is stamped on the tag is 164-6051 nothing more. The tag is pretty rough but still readable
Old 01-07-2023, 12:01 AM   #32
Dodge

Nice find. One of those was my Mothers everyday driver when I was a kid.

It looks like it has those 1950's seat covers you could get from J.C. Whitney's
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:47 AM   #33
1928 Sport Coupe

Dodge:
The seat covers could be J.C. Whitney's. I just assumed they were home made or an upholstery shop. They are some sort of vinyl material. I remember my dad getting J.C. Whitney catalogs in the mail a couple of times a month.
I was told the car was in NY. in 2012 and 2013 There are NY. inspection & registration stickers that expired in early 2013 on the windshield to back it up. Then it went to Nebraska in 2013 till ????. The car than went to Ohio, I assume to the man whose wife I purchased it from at auction.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:04 PM   #34
1930artdeco

I third Synchro's idea of just getting her driveable and safe right now. I mean go through the brakes, engine cooling etc. But you may want to leave the interior and wood alone for the time being. There is a lot of wood in this car you can see from the picture and it will be a loooong resto if you take her apart. Also, power washing will force water into places that it may not normally be. The header/roof on my car leaks with just a simple hose on low pressure so maybe just a normal hand wash with a hose to spot any leaks coming in. Just my two cents worth.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:14 PM   #35
johndduvall

Nice find!

jdd
johndduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:56 PM   #36
arhyne07

Fantastic find! congratulations
arhyne07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:41 PM   #37
CWPASADENA

Great looking car, very complete, straight and solid.

Fordors are very comfortable and make great cars.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:18 PM   #38
retubjb

Sounds like it is going to have a very loving home. Way to go. I have my dad's 30 Tudor that he restored in 1972, but I would love a car like yours.
retubjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:15 AM   #39
1928 Sport Coupe

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the car. The more I think about it and look at the car the more I like it. If the previous owner had not sanded the paint off the top to replace the top insert I may have considered leaving the "patina" intact. The mice have pretty much destroyed the interior before I got it.
The biggest problem right now is the car is at my brothers garage. I do not have room at my house until I move some other cars out. I think a few of them may need to move on to someone else.
I have always liked Ford's especially the Model A's.