Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2023, 11:48 PM   #1
fordor41

Default cruisomatic

So our 2 speed Fordomatic is toast and I found a '57 3 speed complete. I see they sell the newer style flexplate to replace the riveted type. My question is, instead of buying a new flexplate IF the one I'm getting is the riveted style, can't I just redrill our F/M/2 flexplate (3 bolt converter) to match the 3 speed converter which it appears is a 4 bolt converter?
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 05:04 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: cruisomatic

If you found a 57 FM takeout complete, you would use the flex-plate that hopefully comes with it, whether early riveted (if in good shape) or the later service replacement style.

Where you are going to hit a snag (IMO) is with the TV LINKAGE(s).

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:03 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Question Re: cruisomatic

You have had no luck with finding a F/M/2?

Your main case is broken, correct? Have you considered finding a takeout with the correct case to rebuild yours?

The 292 F/M/2 was used to the 1962 model year. 1961 saw the intro of the vacuum modulator valve, so if you found one of those it would eliminate the linkages.

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-29-2023 at 06:15 PM. Reason: THE USUAL REASON
Old 04-29-2023, 10:35 PM   #4
fordor41

Default Re: cruisomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Your main case is broken, correct? Have you considered finding a takeout with the correct case to rebuild yours?

The 292 F/M/2 was used to the 1962 model year. 1961 saw the intro of the vacuum modulator valve, so if you found one of those it would eliminate the linkages.
We've been messing with this F/M/2 for almost 8 mos. If parts are that rare we're moving on.
Old 04-30-2023, 02:12 PM   #5
rotorwrench

That year model is needing the 2-speed replacement? Does it have a TV control mounted on the back of the engine? You mention Cruise-O-Matic but they were dual range units that started showing up in 1958. Single range FOMs were still in use up into 1959. After that they were all either 2-speeds or Cruise-O-Matics. Most later COMs were MX types with the medium case but there were small case versions too. Thunderbirds and Mercury cars used the medium case FOM & MOM in 57. Regular fords with light duty applications used the FX small case FOM. Fords with more horsepower may have a MX FOM but it depends on car weight and engine size. Big cars used the large case transmissions in both single and dual range but they had large engines too.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-30-2023 at 02:22 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:15 PM   #6
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
That year model is needing the 2-speed replacement? Does it have a TV control mounted on the back of the engine? You mention Cruise-O-Matic but they were dual range units that started showing up in 1958. Single range FOMs were still in use up into 1959. After that they were all either 2-speeds or Cruise-O-Matics. Most later COMs were MX types with the medium case but there were small case versions too. Thunderbirds and Mercury cars used the medium case FOM & MOM in 57. Regular fords with light duty applications used the FX small case FOM. Fords with more horsepower may have a MX FOM but it depends on car weight and engine size. Big cars used the large case transmissions in both single and dual range but they had large engines too.
I checked the TV adj. in my old Ford manual for '60 FOM and '57 COM, they both use the same procedure, adj. and hook up. I saw no difference in either
Old 04-30-2023, 10:25 PM   #7
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

when the FOM grenaded it broke the tail shaft housing, governor, bent the output shaft and damaged the rear pump. The shop finally located all above parts but the case is cracked. was welded twice but has a crack internally that they can't get to. I'll have to eat the tail shaft housing as I bought that and shop believes he can return all the rest. Seems like anyone that has a FOM 2 sp doesn't want to part out just the case. to find a tail shaft housing I had to call all over the U.S.& I really mean all over. I think it's time to give it up.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:49 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: cruisomatic

Quote:
I think it's time to give it up.
Where is the TRANS, your house or a shop?

Can you give me the TRANS ID STAMPING as found in the below ILL?

Now the 1957 F/M ring gear was on the TC cover and the 1960 F/M/2 was on the flex-plate, right?

If you are fed up with it, just ignore this post.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANS ID - FM2 1960 - ILL.jpg (9.3 KB, 13 views)

Old 05-01-2023, 05:21 PM   #9
darrell

to answer your first queston dont try to drill your 2 speed flywheel.theres nothing wrong with the riveted flex plate used them and never had a problem.once in a blue moon one will fail but everything does sooner or later.if you get the 57 make sure you get all the linkage
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:37 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

If your proposed replacement transmission has the riveted brackets in the heavy flexplate and has a two-piece converter housing whereby the ring-gear is welded to the front cover of the converter, it is an air-cooled type converter and those were discontinued after the '56 model year in V8 cars, but still used in 6-cyl cars up into the early '60's.
So, who told you it was a '57 transmission?
The air cooled converters required a '56 and earlier bellhousing that had the air intake and exhaust ducts. You would also notice that these FOM's have plugs in the cast-iron case where you would normally run transmission fluid lines to the radiator for cooling. In '54. '55 & 56, that cooler was located in the bottom radiator tank.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:20 PM   #11
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultulz View Post
where is the trans, your house or a shop?

Can you give me the trans id stamping as found in the below ill?

Now the 1957 f/m ring gear was on the tc cover and the 1960 f/m/2 was on the flex-plate, right?

If you are fed up with it, just ignore this post.
pbr-b
Old 05-01-2023, 10:21 PM   #12
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
If your proposed replacement transmission has the riveted brackets in the heavy flexplate and has a two-piece converter housing whereby the ring-gear is welded to the front cover of the converter, it is an air-cooled type converter and those were discontinued after the '56 model year in V8 cars, but still used in 6-cyl cars up into the early '60's.
So, who told you it was a '57 transmission?
The air cooled converters required a '56 and earlier bellhousing that had the air intake and exhaust ducts. You would also notice that these FOM's have plugs in the cast-iron case where you would normally run transmission fluid lines to the radiator for cooling. In '54. '55 & 56, that cooler was located in the bottom radiator tank.
Because it is in a '57 ford with 292 Y-block