Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2024, 05:05 PM   #1
Sunny the Model A

Default how to get bushings out of oil pump without busting the casting (again)

Ok y'all, got a funny one for you. I discovered that whoever did my oil pump last only replaced the shaft and idler and left the old bushings in the casting, so I decided to get some new bushings and install them. (read this with heavy southern drawl) Well, I done goofed this one up. I used a bushing driver with the intentions of pushing the top bushing out through the bottom. 5 strikes in, crack. Followed by some loud blue fire from yours truly. now I got another casting that also has bad bushings, how do I get those little jokers out of the casting without busting it again? and for the record I kept the broken casting and am going to braze it in my spare time. thanks for y'alls time.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:30 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: how to get bushings out of oil pump without busting the casting (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny the Model A View Post
Ok y'all, got a funny one for you. I discovered that whoever did my oil pump last only replaced the shaft and idler and left the old bushings in the casting, so I decided to get some new bushings and install them. (read this with heavy southern drawl) Well, I done goofed this one up. I used a bushing driver with the intentions of pushing the top bushing out through the bottom. 5 strikes in, crack. Followed by some loud blue fire from yours truly. now I got another casting that also has bad bushings, how do I get those little jokers out of the casting without busting it again? and for the record I kept the broken casting and am going to braze it in my spare time. thanks for y'alls time.
do you have Les Andrews mechanic book?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pump bushing removal.jpg (56.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-15-2024, 10:37 PM   #3
JayJay

Default Re: how to get bushings out of oil pump without busting the casting (again)

To get brass bushings out of castings, I first try threading a coarse tap into the bushing, then use a brass drift on the end of the tap to gently drive the bushing out. Don’t hit too hard, taps are brittle. A bit of heat on the casting sometimes helps break it loose. If that is unsuccessful, I use a hand-held hacksaw blade to cut a groove in the bushing opposite the split in the bushing (if there is one, sometimes not) and then fold the bushing in onto itself. A nail (say 12d or 16d) ground to a chisel point helps.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:39 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Like JJ, we just use a tap threaded into the bushing and a metal rod up thru the pump. Unlike the previous good advice, we are 'less-gentle' and just pound the rod against a flat place on our vise which pushes them out rapidly. We typically rebuilt 5-10 pumps at a time, so we are always in a hurry dismantling and cleaning.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 11:03 AM   #5
ursus

I use a 13M metric tap (0.512 inches) in the manner described by Brent in Post #4. This method works as well for removing distributor bushings also.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:08 AM   #6
Randall

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
https://youtu.be/REbOCfCxS4A?si=Ao4NCqCFvmtsKeW7
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:16 AM   #7
Sunny the Model A

thanks for all the advice y'all, I do have the red book and did a little figuring and decided to try the washer and punch method, it took about 10 minutes as I now take things nice and easy. Got the bushings out with the casting intact. Guess my old casting that broke was just ready to let go. I got my rebuilt pump back in the Truck. Thanks, Y'all
Old 04-22-2024, 02:58 AM   #8
dave in australia

Another option is to make two hacksaw cuts 180degrees apart. The bush will fall out.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote