Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2022, 03:05 PM   #1
whizzernick

Default 1933 ford crome

#1 my original 33 grill ( note black paint ) bars dull

#2 original 33 dash inst panel ( this panel is engine turned )

#3-4-5 I took fine steel wool and cleaned - looks a little more like mirror chrome.

My opinion is * chrome plating at that time had to be polished to get the mirror like finish . as time went on bright nickle plating and possible different chrome plating . The way plating is done now . #1 polish base metal to a fine finish ( no pits smooth finish ) #2 copper plate #3 polish copper #4 bright nickle plate #5 polish nickle or just go to chrome plate . #6 some chrome shops color the chrome ( very fine polish )

can anyone confirm my opinion >
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:49 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1933 ford crome

The chrome wasn't polished, rather the dull nickel plating was polished prior to the chrome plating. (Dull nickel was what was used back then, not bright nickel.) The engineering drawings and various Ford archives photos all support the view that unless the nickel was polished, the resulting post-chrome plating finish was satin. NOS examples of '33-'37 all show that result. In the extreme case, the teeth or bars of a '33 grille were not polished at any stage of the plating process, just like the area behind the raised portion of the perimeter of the grille. The result was grille bars all in satin finish (post '33, the leading edges of the bars were polished and the sides of the bars left unpolished creating two different final finishes on the bars). The engineering drawing for the '33 grille takes it one step further and specifies argent silver paint on the bars in the even that the finish of the bars is uneven post plating. Two of the three NOS '33 grilles that I have had over the years had painted bars

There are but a handful of platers today who are willing to work with dull nickel and selective polishing of raised areas. If you want it as original, most likely you will have dull the bright chrome where it doesn't belong with heavy duty Scotch-Brite or something similar.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:24 PM   #3
whizzernick

David I have a question for you about The 1933 engine turned dash panel ( also 1932 )
what was the way that was done . was the chrome engine turned first or the nickel first . also who can do the the dull nickel ? as I would like to restore a dash panel . I have a fixture to do the correct pattern . I have done them in the past but doing the engine turning over the chrome it is easy to go through to the nickel . Also the finish is too bright. Thanks Nick
Old 07-22-2022, 05:28 PM   #4
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
#1 my original 33 grill ( note black paint ) bars dull

#2 original 33 dash inst panel ( this panel is engine turned )

#3-4-5 I took fine steel wool and cleaned - looks a little more like mirror chrome.

My opinion is * chrome plating at that time had to be polished to get the mirror like finish . as time went on bright nickle plating and possible different chrome plating . The way plating is done now . #1 polish base metal to a fine finish ( no pits smooth finish ) #2 copper plate #3 polish copper #4 bright nickle plate #5 polish nickle or just go to chrome plate . #6 some chrome shops color the chrome ( very fine polish )

can anyone confirm my opinion >
Can't confirm that; never redd up on it.

But I see your fine
phaeton has a chrome windshield surround, as well as the driver-side horn (2 horns+ chrome = deluxe; chrome windshield surround= deluxe, So why a black grille on your car!

Am I correct that black grilles = standard model?

The bar(s) chrome edges= deluxe?

note: chroming just the one-piece-grille bars edges saved $ in material, and Ford probably used a production set-up for chroming the one-piece-grille bars edges which included the grille surround.

The '33 grille surround 'top' = the same look & pattern as the entire surround; whereas the '34 grille surround 'top' became wider and grandiose.

Isn't that a mystery . . . because the '33 grille was more grandiose with its more-pronounced 'V' appearance as well as its graceful 'shovel' look. And the '34 grille had a lesser pronounced 'V' with no 'shovel' look; to wit, flat 'sides' going all the way down.

So why do a grandiose top in '34!

I redd up on the reason for the '34s lesser-pronounce 'V' with no 'shovel' look; to wit, flat 'sides' going all the way down.

Ford's plan for '35 was a flat, barely 'V'd grille. The look of the '34 grille was to subconsciously prepare the public for the new '35 grille appearance. And, Ford's plan included a shorter 'stubby' look which was to subconsciously 'melt into' the public that shorter means faster. Ford's sales word for 1935 = "Fast"; we're done with the low, sleek, slow look. (The '35 also = 3" +- on height)
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:14 PM   #5
DavidG

Nick,

I know of only one 'for sure' plater who at the present time works with dull nickel on request. They have an excellent reputation and tend to have many CCCA customers, which is another way to spell expensive. But, my own experience with them on a limited basis is that you get what you pay for. They are: Custom Chrome Plating, Inc., in Grafton, Ohio (440) 926-3116.

As for the '32 and '33 instrument panel engine turned finishes, I believe that the engine turning process was performed after chrome plating the unpolished dull nickel-plated base. This is consistent with the normal request of those who offer engine turning service that the parts be plated before they are sent to the person doing the engine turning.

Yes, in the process of the engine turning some of the dull nickel is exposed as the chrome plating is partially removed by the abrasive. I think that helps create a sense of depth.

Last edited by DavidG; 07-22-2022 at 06:34 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:19 PM   #6
whizzernick

HIGHBEAMS : My 1933 phaeton grill is not black . Just looks black in picture.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:11 AM   #7
deuce lover

The fellow in CO that did my '33 instrument panel made a point of it that it should be chrome plated before engine turning.I sent him the plated one.Here are pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 gauge panel.jpg (62.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 33-34 dual temp gauge closeup.jpg (42.9 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by deuce lover; 07-23-2022 at 12:16 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:18 AM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
The fellow in CO that did my '33 instrument panel made a point of it that it should be chrome plated before engine turning.I sent him the plated one.Here are pics.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote