Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Tom Endy

Default Sam's 1930 Tudor

A number of barners have expressed an interest and appreciation of my mention of Lance Corporal Sam Thompson USMC, and his new 1930 Tudor in the "infamous Shift lever" post. This forum may be interested to hear the story of Sam and his Model A. Sam lives just down the street from me. I have known his dad for 20 years, but Sam was just a little kid in the neighborhood and I didn't really know him. About three years ago he came over to the house and told me he wanted a Model A. He had just graduated from high school. We began looking for one, not just any Model A mind you, but specifically for a 1930 Tudor. For whatever reason, that's what the kid wanted.

Our search was interrupted 18-months ago when Sam and his younger brother Mark joined the USMC. Both brothers went through boot camp at San Diego together and have been together through advanced training at Camp Pendleton and deployment to Afghanistan. They both returned unscathed just before Thanksgiving last year. I was amazed at the transformation. When he left to go in the Marines Sam was just your average skinny 19-year old kid. When he came back from Afghanistan he was 35 pounds heavier, he had a different look about him, and definitely he was a Marine.

Just before Sam returned home I locate a 1930 Tudor about 30-miles away. The owner had owned the car for nine years and had not had a pleasant experience with it. He knew little about a Model A and was not able to do maintenance or fix anything. He took it to a "place" to have a new clutch installed and the transmission rebuilt. They handed him a bill for $6,000. One of the things I always tell new people to the Model A hobby is to never never take your Model A to any "place" that does not speak Model A. They will likely overcharge you and do everything wrong.

Three weeks ago Sam, his dad, and I went to look at the 1930 Tudor. It has a very nice rust free body with a very good paint job, and it has a new interior. However it did not run very well. I had a difficult time starting it. It would only start with the spark fully advanced. When the spark handle was moved up the distributor shorted out and it stopped running. The Zenith GAV valve was also frozen in place. It was definitely not a good running car, but it had tremendous potential.

A deal was truck and the following weekend Sam's dad brought the car home on a trailer. When it arrived at my house around noon on Saturday I rounded up a cadre of Orange County Model Ford A Club folks and we went to work on the car. The first thing we did was to swap out the distributor and the Zenith with a pair that had just been restored that were both donated by an OCMAFC member. Another member donated a set of reproduction 3X spark plugs. We ran a compression check; all four cylinders reported around 75 pounds. Sam was taught how to set the timing on a Model A, When we started the car up I was impressed at how well in ran.

The next morning, Sunday, Sam brought the car back over to my garage and I noticed he had put 80 miles on it as I had zeroed out the trip odometer when it had sat in my garage. He said he took his parents and his girl friend out to dinner Saturday night and on Sunday morning he and his girl friend drove the car down along the beach. On Sunday we pulled all four wheels and drums off and packed the wheel bearings. We also greased the car. The brakes were in reasonable condition, but were way out of adjustment, so we adjusted them. We also discovered a number of strange things that were courtesy of one of the "places" the previous owner had taken it to. One of the most glaring was that the rear axle nuts were only finger tight.

By the end of the day on Sunday, Sam's 1930 Tudor was one fine running and safe car to drive. The following weekend he brought the car over and I noticed he had driven it almost 150 miles. This on just the two week ends he was home. Sam is stationed at Camp Pendleton, which is about 60 miles away, and he is able to come home most weekends.

The future plans for the car are a Mitchell overdrive, a Snyder 5.5 head, and an A-fordable oil filter mod. The Mitchell overdrive is on order, but the lead-time is 12-weeks. I have prevailed on Sue Mitchell to cut the lead-time and she is working on the effort. If any of you barners have a Mitchell overdrive on order and are not in a great hurry for it you might be willing to give up your delivery slot. If any of you have any pull with Sue Mitchell possibly you could exert some influence. Sam wants to drive the car to Camp Pendleton to show all his marine buddies his hot new car before he deploys again, and the Mitchell would make the trip a lot easier. When the Mitchell arrives I plan to disassemble the entire drive train and overhaul\restore it. I am anxious to see what a $6,000 transmission overhaul looks like

Sam has joined the Orange County Model A Ford Club and MAFCA. I have submitted an application and a letter of recommendation on his behalf to the Model A Ford Youth Restoration Program. He is within the age limit for an award. The awards will be given at the MAFCA national this summer and he could easily come away with a $1,000 grant, which will ease the burden of getting his car in shape.

One of the best Model A weekends I ever spent was the recent one where we put Sam's car in shape. I am sure my fellow club members who participated feel the same way. Sam is thrilled with this car and wants to drive it everywhere.

The attached photos were taken the day we went to look at Sam's 1930 Tudor. If anyone wants to down load any of them please be my guest.

Semper Fi, as they say in the Marine Corps.

Tom Endy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010693.jpg (70.4 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg P1010698.jpg (65.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg P1010700.jpg (63.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg P1010706.jpg (87.0 KB, 197 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
TinCup

Default Re: Sam's 1930 Tudor

Semper Fi indeed. I think that one of the most important things local clubs can do is to help get A's on the road. This time you and your local club members raised the bar for all of us.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Brian SATX

Tom - thanks to you and the club for helping that young Marine and getting him off on a good foot in the Model A hobby. When he takes it to MCB Camp Pendleton he may just get another young person interested in the hobby. Thanks for everything else you do for us also.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Tom thanks for the great read.And Sam Semper Fi. from a fellow marine.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
cradlescyth

Good luck with a great car.
God bless you guys in Cl for your help

Thanks form an East cost A Lover
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
RJ

Tom I think that Gene Bunce may have a overdrive? He is a member of the Minuteman Model A club.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

Tom: Nice story, please keep us updated.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
al's28/33

Great story, we need to keep the next generation interested so our "A"s stay on the road! God bless our Troops!!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Sam Thompson

Hello all,

Just wanted to say thank you for the support and expert knowledge, especially Tom Endy and the members of the Orange County Club. I sure appreciate the knowledge you throw my way. Can't wait to learn more and really enjoy the car. I drove it to Camp Pendleton this week about a 2 hour drive and it runs great. Again thanks for the help and support.

- Sam Thompson
Sam Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
zzlegend

Sam you did good. Really good. Thanks for a great story from both you and Tom. Excellent looking A, and i hope you enjoy it for the rest of your life. And thanks to you and your brother for your service. Take care. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
modelAtony

Welcome JARHEAD . Great having a new A owner and MARINE, thanks to you and your brother for your service . I've never met tom endy but have read many post on the modelA. This man is really a great one to have in your corner. I am also a HOLLYWOOD MARINE PLT 1066 JUNE 1969 . nam 69-70. have fun modelAtony lafayette,la SEMPER FI.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
real550A

Sam- First of all, thanks to you and your brother for your service to our country! I hope you enjoy the Model A hobby for a long time. It's one of life's "simple pleasures".
My first car, at age 12, was a '31 slant windshield Town Sedan. I sold it when I joined the service and wish I hadn't! Have had a few along the way, and am awaiting delivery of my "new" '31 Deluxe Coupe in a week or so. At 62, I still feel like a kid waiting for
that first car. Best of luck to you, and thanks Tom, for steering this gentleman right.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Tom Endy

Good on you Sam, as the folks down under say. I was wondering how you made out driving the car to Camp Pendleton. In the old days of wooden men and iron ships, before there were freeways, it was a four hour drive from Pasadena to San Diego.

See you at the San Diego swap meet this week end.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Pilotdave

Outstanding story! Good things happen to and through good people. Thanks for sharing this one.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote