Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2016, 02:09 AM   #1
fourfords

Default 1937 ford radio help

I'm wanting to install a radio in my '37 closed sedan. Does anyone have installation diagrams or photos that may show the components and how this all comes together?

Thanks you!
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 1937 ford radio help

i don't know much about 37---but in 36 the factory put dimples in the firewall where the radio box mounting holes go -----the chicken wire in the roof had a wire going down the windshield post ----the 39 i put a radio in was prewired also with antenna wire ----
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
blucar

The installation of a factory type (Philco) radio in a '37 is a pretty simple straight forward operation.
The radio consists of three parts, the receiver, dial head and speaker. The '37 dial head has a V8 in the center of the dial that acts as the station pointer, rotating as the dial knob is turned.
There are some portions of the installation that must be followed, suppression of external interference from the ignition, generator, and fuel gauge.
I have a factory installation brochure for the '36 Fords which should be the same for a '37.
It has been my experience that only the Delux models were pre-wired for the roof antenna, My '36, a late production Delux has shielded wire from the chicken wire in the top, and a leg down through the body for the a running board antenna.
A cowl mount antenna on the left side works very well on the early Fords. Hooked up correctly the roof antenna works great.
I put a radio in my brothers '37 4dr sedan for him many years ago. The cowl had the "dipples" for the mounting bolts..
It is not a good idea to hook up the power to the ignition switch. The early Ford V8 switches are very weak not likely high drain through them. If you try to play the radio with the key on and the engine not running, you will run the risk of frying the points.
Some of the '36-37 Philco radios I have seen have a toggle switch that mounts under the dash. Switch turns off the power to the radio so the radio can't be turned on by people that don't know what they are doing.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Juergen

To add to Bill's reply, note that the radio lead has its own fuse link. So you can wire it directly to the hot lead after the ammeter. And the toggle switch went into the glove box so locking the glove box would prevent use of the radio (with the switch off, of course).
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
HCO41

Jumping this thread because I just picked up a nice '37 radio, complete, but w/o speaker, at Rhinebeck this weekend. Leads in excellent shape and clean dial that works . I may need repo knobs otherwise very good. Is there a source for the wiring diagram? Looks like the antenna hooks up via bayonet connection. Thanks for any help.
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:01 AM   #6
fourfords

Jump all you want! The more information, the better! Does anyone have a picture of the speaker? I have no idea how or where it is mounted. Is there an enclosure of some sort under the dash to mount it? Is it metal? Wood? (I have the '37 handbook)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_ford_f1440.html

the speaker is the electrto magnet type and is needed for the power circuit although it is possible to adapt a more modern permenet magnet type ---if open car most likely mounted to the radio box, for sedan it could mount over the windshield like a 36 (there also was a kit from ford to mount 36 radio in 37 so dealer could use up leftover radios)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
Jump all you want! The more information, the better! Does anyone have a picture of the speaker? I have no idea how or where it is mounted. Is there an enclosure of some sort under the dash to mount it? Is it metal? Wood? (I have the '37 handbook)
The speaker will be hidden it is mounted on the header and hidden by headliner material.If your car has never had a radio or header has not been messed with it probably still has the factory paper over it (the speaker hole). Some information and pictures on 1937 radios in V8 Club book. Gets a little confusing as there was at least two models.Philco F-1440 and F-1442. Early one had an outside of the radio chassis antennae transformer and later one it was inside.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
fourfords

Information is starting to make sense. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
v8fordman

All the information you need is in the EFV8 Club book. The open car speaker was mounted to the center of the firewall via a single threaded stud. It is a round completely enclosed unit.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote