Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
fourfords

Default Hood prop '37

I finally saw an original hood prop on a '37 at a car show. I didn't however notice the screws holding it place. When I went to place my hood prop in place, the prop contacts the driver's side engine panel. Are there special screws and spacers for this? If so,where might they be available?

Thank you
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Hood prop '37

What???

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
I finally saw an original hood prop on a '37 at a car show. I didn't however notice the screws holding it place. When I went to place my hood prop in place, the prop contacts the driver's side engine panel. Are there special screws and spacers for this? If so,where might they be available?

Thank you
The 37 V8 Club restoration book has a description of the support 78-16780, the bottom hardware grommet 78-16822 with thin brass washers on both sides. It attachés to the dash pinch flange with shoulder screw 350344-S7 nut and lock washer. It attachés to the hood bracket with special shoulder screw 350351-S7 with nut and lock washer.

Roy Nacewicz has some of the special washers and bolts needed for the 1937-38 ratcheting hood prop.

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
fourfords

Understood V8COOPMAN, I'll look into it. Thank you for translating my post to some of our fellow enthusiasts.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
40cpe

I understand your wanting to have the correct hood support for your '37. IF yours is a passenger car, and IF it is like a '38 and has to be lifted up in order to close your hood, please be aware of the probability that at some point someone WILL pull down on your hood before releasing the support. This has resulted in many bent hoods. The '38 Deluxe has trim in this area and it is almost impossible to find it because so many have been destroyed by this hood support. Save your support for judged shows and fabricate a prop near the hood opening. Alright, I got that off my chest.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #6
fourfords

Thank you 40cpe, I rigged a metal dowel that attaches to a bolt that secures the grille and folds away along the right side engine panel. Having said that, I have an original hood prop and in the many years of ownership, I'm the only one who opens the hood. I'm going to seriously consider your advice to avoid an accidental bending the hood. If I keep things the way they are, at least I'll have the correct parts to change it up at some point.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
PHATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I understand your wanting to have the correct hood support for your '37. IF yours is a passenger car, and IF it is like a '38 and has to be lifted up in order to close your hood, please be aware of the probability that at some point someone WILL pull down on your hood before releasing the support. This has resulted in many bent hoods. The '38 Deluxe has trim in this area and it is almost impossible to find it because so many have been destroyed by this hood support. Save your support for judged shows and fabricate a prop near the hood opening. Alright, I got that off my chest.

Rule #1 in Phatboy's garage...
No one ever raises or lowers the hood on my 37' but me!
(I have the original hood prop. It works but it can be tricky.)
PHATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
DavidG

Good rule, I make it #2, #3 and so on as well.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
jimTN

As a longtime 39 std and 37 owner I can vouch for the caution. Because of that I use a broomstick. Sooner or later you will forget and whamo.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #10
1937sedandelivery

Just as FYI, attached is a pdf with some details on hood related stuff. I have posted this somewhere else on the Barn but don't remember.
gregg

upload failed.... file size is 4MB and allowed size is listed as 9+MB, so I don't get it. Oh well. It has detailed info for the hinges, hood ornament and prop. If anyone is interested I could email it to you.
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #11
Jack E/NJ

jimTN>>>I use a broomstick.>>>

Also always used a broomstick on my 38. But recently switched to an aluminum twist-n-set adjustable telescopic mop handle from HomeDepot. Painted to look like the original wooden broomstick, But now can open the hood a whole lot. Or just a little bit. With just twist of the mop handle. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Try Bob Drake for the parts you need. If they are not in the catalog call them. They had them the last I checked (about 25 years ago).
https://bobdrake.com/?gclid=EAIaIQob...SAAEgIlrfD_BwE

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #13
mercman from oz

Hood Prop on local 1937 Ford V8.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:02 AM   #14
chap52

When I was a teenager in the 60's the hood prop looked a lot like the extension to the stubby sawed off broom handle in my moms broom closet. Imagine that? Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #15
JayChicago

Me too:
First day after I bought my '37, posted an inquiry asking where to obtain the missing hood prop. Got several replies saying "Don't do It! There's good reason why the hood prop was removed"

So now have a rubber-tipped telescoping aluminum prop in the trunk for car shows. And a plastic-tipped broom stick for daily use in the garage. Both function perfectly, without risk to the hood.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote