Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2024, 06:09 PM   #1
trevorsworth

Default 31 AA rescue

Hey guys! I just picked up a stock AA that I intend to leave as stock as practical while still being able to use it to run around town and do some work. I have a little bit of experience around Model As, and currently have a T-bodied A, but the big truck is new to me.

I don't have any information on its past but I'm guessing it was a wrecker. The truck looks like it got a light restoration at some point but hasn't been monkeyed with all that much or worked to death like a lot of them. The chassis is nice and tight, kingpins aren't loose or anything, the truck rolls, stops and steers fine. The only real rust is at the bottom of the cab back and a little in the corners, nothing I can't handle. It's going to need wood... looks like I'll need to come up with like 800 bucks for that.

If the banger runs it's staying in the truck... if it doesn't I'm probably not going to chase down another banger. Has anyone put a flathead V8 in an AA? I can't see as to why it would be much different from putting one in an A. I have an 8RT with a truck trans out of a '49 F6 that would be perfect in this truck.

Is there a good source for AA-specific service parts? Mainly the brakes? Nothing is missing that I can see but I'm sure I will need to go through everything and might as well put new brake shoes on while I'm cleaning it up. I see brake linings but I've always just replaced the whole shoe. Not that I'm opposed to learning, but if I can just get new shoes for the same money, I'll do that.

I attached some pictures and here's a walkaround video... don't know if it will embed. Check out that monster of a front bumper!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoTqHrRL5yE

Is there anything a guy diving into an AA for the first time really ought to know? By the way, I gave $4500 for the truck as it sits and I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7875.jpg (69.0 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7877.jpg (69.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7886.jpg (81.4 KB, 226 views)
trevorsworth is offline   Reply With Quote